Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:03 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
NONE of this, not one scintilla, occurred with any urban planning.

Urban planning gives us perfect, sterile Las Colinas and perfect, sterile CityCentre, for people who like that sort of thing.
Good post. Urban planning also gave us Cabrini Green, Watts, dozens of failed projects in Detroit, a virtually empty Cleveland, entire neighborhoods razed for freeways and failed Civic Centers, and (who can forget Roger and Me) an empty hotel in Flint, Michigan. All at our expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Good post. Urban planning also gave us Cabrini Green, Watts, dozens of failed projects in Detroit, a virtually empty Cleveland, entire neighborhoods razed for freeways and failed Civic Centers, and (who can forget Roger and Me) an empty hotel in Flint, Michigan. All at our expense.
Lol as I was just corrected the other day, Cabrini Green was razed and zoned for, guess what, mixed used development!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 AM

76 posts, read 268,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrulez View Post

the university line will have a GULFTON station
You better go look at KHOU, federal funding was pulled for University Line and METRO has to supply updated numbers.

The reason many are leaving is the school system. There are very few schools that are outstanding. This is a primary reason for the flow to the suburbs. The majority that are moving to the inner loop are primarily single people not families with children.

One thing that is killing Houston right now is lack of infrastructure maintenance. Some areas of Houston cannot handle large developments because of inadequate sewer lines. Unfortunately, Bill White exacerbated the situation by cutting spending on infrastructure maintenance. Roads maintenance was also cut.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthou View Post
You better go look at KHOU, federal funding was pulled for University Line and METRO has to supply updated numbers.

I thought that was proved to be wrong and the Chronicle responded to KHOU. I'll find the article.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
That's so exaggerated. And for you to say that on a day like today (or yesterday) is even more funny. You're going to tell me you wouldn't enjoy walking around outside today? Or most of the year in Houston except maybe the 3-4 worst months during summer? And the swamp thing is getting really tired... Chicago and DC were built on swamp land too.

I agree 100%. The weather thing is tired and annoying. People still frolick around in Chicago in the middle of 4 degree weather in December like it's 65 degrees outside. In early January here in DC, people walked around with ease and had no problem with the weather when it was 15 degrees. You're also correct that DC was built on swamp. It can get very humid in the summer and people still love walking around the city because it's a walkable and pedestrian friendly city.

That's the thing with Houston. It's not that it's hot from Late May through Late September. It's that it's not a place where people can easily walk to. If it was, 95 degree weather with high humidity will not stop people. It doesn't stop people in other cities throughout the world with similar climates.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 AM

76 posts, read 268,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I thought that was proved to be wrong and the Chronicle responded to KHOU. I'll find the article.
Why would the Chronicle respond to KHOU? Unless they're in on the "plan" too.

METRO sure responded and denied the allegations. Based on the numbers presented by Barton Smith, the feds pulled funding til METRO responds with accurate numbers. METRO's old estimates from 2008 had them taking in 2.4 billion more than those from 2009. Barton confirmed that during the interview by KHOU.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Montrose was a seedy, ratty, run down neighborhood. Gays started fixing it up and it got to be the "gay-to". Then all that development started and now a single family home in Montrose is unattainable. Same thing happened in the Heights; when I lived here in 1979, the Heights was "iffy" at best, but all the cute young gay couples were moving over there and fixing up those dilapidated 50 year old houses with 1920's plumbing and no closets and kitchen floors that were falling in. Then all the cute young straight couples decided to start buying them (from the gay couples) and ran the prices up. The young gay couples fled to Oak Forest and Candlelight, and suddenly (last few years) Westbury, which is the new trendy gay area.

Then the developers started filling in the gaps like Rice Military, where just a couple of years ago one of my friends indicated there were still gunshots at her townhome every night. Now trendy for 20-something straights.

Oaklawn in Dallas was a run-down former blue collar/small commercial area. Gays moved in and fixed up these dilapidated 50 year old houses with 1920's plumbing and no closets....straights started buying....condos and townhomes started....now high rises....

SoHo ("South of Houston", pronounced "Howston", which I had hell learning) was this rotting area of tenements and the "artist" community (meaning gays, mostly, with some avant-garde straights) moved into these old dilapidated buildings and started fixing them up...then they got very popular for Wall-Streeters....

and the beat goes on.

Sooooo you're saying homosexual people are the answer to all of our urban woes?!?!!? YA HEAR THAT MAYOR PARKER!!?!?! Do your thing! (j/k...sort of)

Old 04-27-2010, 05:21 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Sooooo you're saying homosexual people are the answer to all of our urban woes?!?!!? YA HEAR THAT MAYOR PARKER!!?!?! Do your thing! (j/k...sort of)
Pretty much...we always fix everything, urban blight, poorly designed rooms, gardens, kitchen sinks--- just ask the lesbos at Home Depot where to find us.

Oh, and you're welcome!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,915,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Why yes, as a matter of fact I am!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:48 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthou View Post
Why would the Chronicle respond to KHOU? Unless they're in on the "plan" too.

METRO sure responded and denied the allegations. Based on the numbers presented by Barton Smith, the feds pulled funding til METRO responds with accurate numbers. METRO's old estimates from 2008 had them taking in 2.4 billion more than those from 2009. Barton confirmed that during the interview by KHOU.
And again, KHOU was flat out wrong with their reporting on METRO. KHOU is usually on top of things in my opinion, but obviously not here. And what do you mean, why would the Chronicle respond to KHOU? Anyway, here is the article that corrected KHOU's big mistake:

Quote:
A report on KHOU, Channel 11, suggesting that Metro officials misled the Federal Transit Administration with out-of-date sales tax projections is generating discussion on local blogs today, including this post on chron.com.

The television station reported that in November 2009, Metro gave the federal agency sales tax projections generated the previous year, before the effects of the recession were evident. The figures were provided during the process of applying for $900 million in federal money for Metro's North and Southeast rail lines.
"The books are cooked," U.S. Rep. Ted Poe, R-Houston, told the station.

But James Moncur, who headed a transition committee that examined Metro's finances for Mayor Annise Parker, told me today he discussed the sales tax projections when he met with FTA officials in February. The officials knew very well that they had received 2008 numbers, Moncur said, and didn't believe Metro was trying to mislead them.

The mayor agreed, saying in a statement that "the FTA assured transition team members that it conducts its own analysis."

Metro chief executive Frank Wilson told me that in July 2009, Metro officials and the FTA's consultant jointly developed updated sales tax projections that were provided to the agency the following month. These figures, Wilson said, were lower than those developed in 2008.
Metro, city officials deny effort to mislead FTA | Houston Politics | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

The rest of the article is in the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston