Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:55 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
of course he thought it was lame....instead of taking a 14yo MALE to do something cool you ditched him for 2 hours AT A BOTANICAL GARDEN so you could bang his sister at the Silver Sands Motel for a couple of hours...some brother-in-law you are

he should be at least 25 before even trying a botanical garden
Well...it wasn't advertised as a 'botanical garden.' It was supposed to be an aquarium and the IMAX movies and the Discovery Pyramid. He liked the Shedd in Chicago

Old 04-24-2010, 11:57 AM

8 posts, read 11,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Just go back to New York. You obviously don't belong or like it here and just feel the need to complain about everything.
You didn't answer my question about Old Spring.

Also, I'm not from NY. NYC happens to have some of my favorite cookie places.

It's a bit harsh to say I don't belong since Houston claims to be a diverse city. I've always believed in Southern hospitality because I've heard great stories. But to say I don't belong in a supposedly diverse city is like saying that you either conform to Houston ideals or leave.

No, I don't like it in Houston. That's why I've asked about Old Spring. I gave my opinions on each place I've tried, brutal but honest. I'd like to discover why Houstonians love the city so much. But yes, if I don't belong, I would love to go somewhere else if given the opportunity. At least New Yorkers are very friendly and give good tips of where to go.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCookie View Post
I recently moved to Texas. I've been told of the many "amazing places" to visit by locals/Texans, and I must say...it is a sore disappointment.

Galveston
Texan claim: Best beach and fun shops
Reality: The most polluted and sore excuse for a beach ever... Only those who have never seen a real beach would think it is amazing. The smell there is something else...

Kemah
Texan claim: Great boardwalk, fun weekend activity.
Reality: The smell is the absolute worst. There is barely anything to do. The boardwalk is so small. One hour there and you've done everything with time to spare.

Moody Gardens
Texan claim: Lots to see, very exotic
Reality: Overpriced for what you get compared to other places I've gone to.

Ninfa's
Texan claim: Best tex-mex
Reality: It's fast food. It's like recommending somebody to go to McDonald's.

Museum of Natural Science
Texan claim: Amazing museum with lots to see
Reality: Every exhibit costs about $20. It's not $20 to see the entire museum. Since they charge so much, they must not be getting a lot of donations/money/sponsors...which might imply something about the culture of Texas. A small exhibit not worth the money with false information sold in gift shops. A cat isn't in the Chinese zodiac.

Japanese Festival
Texan claim: Didn't know it existed...so claim is N/A
Reality: Not bad. Wasn't crowded due to what I assume is unpopularity of outside cultures. Didn't have too many Japanese festival related activities/food.

Old Spring Town
Texan claim: Great spot to shop and eat. Very quaint and cute.
Reality: ?

I want to know if Old Spring Town is ACTUALLY worth it because all those other places weren't. I know Texan pride is on the line here. But I'm tired of going to all these places and just being sorely disappointed. I have yet to be impressed by something in Texas. I rather like the idea of quaint towns with small boutiques...I just need to know if it's a true fact.

IF it is worth it, what shops/restaurants should I go to? And most importantly...WHY.
Just a word of advice here: It is never a good idea to post in a city/state thread badmouthing the city/state. This is particularly true of Texas. We're proud of our state. There are places that are not wonderful in all states. However, every state has neat places to visit, too. So if you want info, don't dis our state because in doing so you are dising us.

Now about Old Town Spring. I assume you mean the place just north of Houston. If you like little shops and boutiques then OTS is the place for you. I live in north Texas and 9 of us take a trip at least once a year to OTS. It's a wonderful place for walking around and shopping. It has unique shops that are a lot of fun and the prices are very good. There is a diner off the main drag that has great food/live band. It's rustic and enjoyable. There is a tearoom on the main street that is wonderful. Great ambiance, not dressy and the food, again, is good and the servings are a reasonable side. Try the peach or mango iced tea.

I suggest going into each house. There are so many of them but we can cover them all in a day. Parking is free behind main street. Just leave the car and walk. The shops are right next to each other all along both streets. There is a purse shop that I am love.

The shops are located in separate little old houses that have been moved to the location. They are colorful and "happy." Everyone will say "hi" to you because that is what we do.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Native Houstonian here: Old Towne Spring...I don't get it. There's a famous burger joint (not all that great) and some Non-important antiques. I guess if you live up that way and it's a nice day and you have nothing else to do it makes for a good place to go.

Frankly, most of us stay and work in Houston because it affords us the liquidity to travel to some pretty incredible places. Living in an incredible place limits you due to cost. However, this is a very green and nice city for it's size.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsjusttrue View Post
Some people on this forum can not take the truth. You and Irishlover are 2 perfect examples. Probably never even left Houston.

@NyCookie

Your first post is spot on. That is just how it is. But now about Spring.
I went there about a year ago. I was disappointed. I thought it was a rather run-down place ( yes, there is a difference between old and run down). Houston is a boring and dull place. If you are in the Houston area anyway, I guess it won't hurt to stop by. Better than being stuck in Houston. I would NOT recommend to come down all the way just to visit Old Spring Town.

Good luck to you!!
I'm not even a native Houstonian.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question about Old Spring.

Also, I'm not from NY. NYC happens to have some of my favorite cookie places.

It's a bit harsh to say I don't belong since Houston claims to be a diverse city. I've always believed in Southern hospitality because I've heard great stories. But to say I don't belong in a supposedly diverse city is like saying that you either conform to Houston ideals or leave.

No, I don't like it in Houston. That's why I've asked about Old Spring. I gave my opinions on each place I've tried, brutal but honest. I'd like to discover why Houstonians love the city so much. But yes, if I don't belong, I would love to go somewhere else if given the opportunity. At least New Yorkers are very friendly and give good tips of where to go.
If you hated the others places; than what makes you think you'll like Old Town Spring???

I don't know what to tell you because you either complain about the price or the smell. If you accept Houston and it's attractions for what they are and quit comparing them to other places; you might enjoy yourself; be more open minded.

I don't know who told you Galveston was the best beach in Texas and your example of Texans glorifying it as such is a lie because many Texans will tell you it's not.

Kemah boardwalk is quite nice and I don't know what smell your talking about.

I've never heard Ninfa's as the best place for Tex-Mex and on top of that I bet you went to the wrong one.

Regardless of what you think about the Museum of Natural science; it ranks as one of the top museums in the country.

Don't know about those other places, but it seems you just miss NY and hate Houston. If you want to enjoy yourself than quite being so picky about every little thing and relax. Life will be much better for you.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:02 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
I'm actually NOT from NYC.
Well, it looked like a duck and kind of quacked like a duck. Guess sometimes it might be a platypus instead....

So you have the tourist view of NYC. What all did you do there? Leave out Times Square. We'll assume that for a given. Did you ever go off the beaten path a bit? Eat at some hole in the wall for the locals instead of the tourists? See some attraction that not everyone knows about? You'd probably have to talk to people who actually live there to find out about them.

New Yorkers don't particularly like tourists. Dumbfounded cretins clogging their streets and taking up space on the subway. If you go up to one wearing an "I <3 NY" shirt and a fanny pack with a disposable camera on a string around your neck and you can pretty much forget getting any useful information. They'll direct you right to that Olive Garden in Times Square. And God help you if you go complaining that everything's overpriced for what you get, or that it just didn't live up to your expectations, whatever they were. It's not just a "Texas pride" thing. It works the same way everywhere. Go post on the Chicago forum about how the hotdog joints won't put ketchup on your hotdog, complain about the weather or how you spent $16 just to go up to the skydeck at the Sears Tower and see how many fast friends you make.

You know what I suggest you do? Go back home, put a little time behind this botched visit, forget the password to this "NYCookie" account and register here under a different name some time later and ask questions beforehand. Don't take it from somebody in Waco or wherever the person who told you to go to the Uptown Ninfa's came from, who obviously doesn't spend much time here. Houston is for locals and business travelers, not tourists, but if you have the right attitude we'll help you out and you can have a good time here.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Old Town Spring may be worth an afternoon visit if you like window shopping and antiquing, but it doesnt really warrant a special trip.

Your comments about Houston are similar to what Londoners say about NYC. Houston is a nice affordable city where many choose to earn a good living and raise a family. Its not perfect, but I think it does quite well for the resources available. I mean how much is a 2300 sqft home/townhome less than 2 miles from the central business district? Here its quite often <$400000.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:38 PM

192 posts, read 504,858 times
Quote:
Hi NYCookie. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but I think you might be getting advice from the wrong people. I came back to Houston spoiled from NYC, and I received recommendations to go to places like Brother's Pizza, the Italian Festival, a shopping strip for burgers near Tomball, and I was sorely disappointed. I personally haven't been to Old Town Spring, and likewise, I'm a little hesitant.

I'd like to offer some comments on your post though -

- Museums:
1) Regarding the Museum of Natural Science, I think you might be right. I don't remember much of it even though I visited 5 years ago. I don't think it had anything exceptionally memorable, but it might be good for kids. Obviously, don't compare it to the Smithsonian.
2) Regarding the MFAH, the last time I visited was during the Basquiat exhibition, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm really not sure about the museum beyond that. It's a rather thorough museum, but it's not the Met. It also shows a great selection of films that I've been meaning to check out for awhile.
3) The Menil & Rothko Chapel - The former is a very small museum that looks almost underwhelming on the outside - more akin to a house. It's maybe only 4 rooms, but if you've ever studied modern art, you'd be surprised such notable pieces are being stored in a place easily overlooked. The Rothko Chapel is next door. If you're familiar with Mark Rothko & his personal history, the chapel is really a work of art. Morton Feldman recorded a few pieces there. Again, it looks underwhelming on the outside.

- Festivals: The reason many people probably haven't heard about the Japanese Festival is because it hasn't gotten big until just a few years ago. There are others slowly gaining momentum like the Houston Dragon Boat Festival, Houston Press' Menu of Menus; and standards like the the Art Car Parade, The Greek Fest, The Bayou City Arts Festival, and the Rodeo. In a way, though, you just have to have a discerning eye or know people with similar sensibilities to find ones that aren't duds. I, personally, do not recommend the Italian festival.

- Food: The easiest way is to pick up a Zagat guide. If you're looking more for history & authenticity, you'll have to go through word-of-mouth - again, from people with similar tastes.
*For the ugly, but delicious -
1) Mexican: I am not an authority on this at all, but a few friends took me to Taqueria Del Sol off Gulf Fwy, and it was great. I would also take jfre81's advice & go to the Original Ninfa's Restaurant, and not the ones that have been licensed out (& are actually not affiliated).
2) Indian: off Hillcroft between 59 & Westpark. Pick any.
3) Chinese: off Bellaire, east of Beltway-8. Pick any. Get adventurous & pick a small one w/ a menu in Chinese & have fun.
4) Burgers: Lankford Grocery in Midtown. Not too versed in this either though.
5) BBQ: I personally don't know many here. I like to take the 2 hour ride out to Luling or Lockhart. Nothing else will compare.
*For chef-centered darlings - I personally like Glass Wall & Shade. I have a friend who cooks at Reef, so I guess I'll mention that too.
... and again, there are many nicer, quality ones I haven't mentioned.

- Other: There's also a trove of good, &/or random music around here. Look here (http://www.spacecityrock.com/houston.shtml#shows - broken link) for a thorough listing.

Last edited by potato head8; 04-24-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 06:48 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,054 times
Old Town Spring when we use to go...been abt 3 yrs maybe 4...was a nice way to spend an afternoon. Not a guy place or really kid friendly truthfully. You have to like antiques and boutique shopping. No smells there except candles and some yummy snacks a long the way. My fav shop there was Metals, Petals & More. It is really fun to go shopping there more so during the fall and then around Christmas when everything is decorated. The shops are old little homes turned into shops. They are closed I think on Mondays or they use to be anyways. Again if you enjoy quaint artsy, home decorating, gifty type shops then take a girl friend who likes those things to and make an afternoon out of it. Again though if you have kids in strollers most of the time you have to get them out and leave the strollers outside. Here is the link to shops if you have not been to their website.

Old Town Spring Shops (http://www.oldtownspring.com/shopping.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston