Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:45 PM

192 posts, read 504,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
The CVS on Main doesn't help. Pretty much all shops downtown are closed by 7pm unless it is that convenience store by the jail. Even most of the restaurants close early.

I figured as such. Again, downtown is still trying to find its residential demand since it previously catered to mostly downtown workers.

I went ahead & looked it up, and the CVS on Main St is open until 9PM on weekdays & 5PM on weekends - definitely still catering to a work schedule. The CVS in Midtown is open 24 hours, however, which may be a testament to the area and its higher demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 03:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
The dollar store next to the CVS stays open until 10 or 11. Kenpar and I confirmed this after the Rockets game awhile back.

The retail that is there is experimenting at this point with later hours. Between the slowly growing residential and entertainment (sports, House of Blues etc.) it might lead to more.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:00 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,264 times
Does anyone have any idea on how that shopping center downtown is doing? The one with the Bebe (or is it bcbg) store and the Forever 21 and the overpriced Mexican restaurant and bookstore?

I saw it when it first opened and no one was there and there were a lot of vacant stores waiting to be leased.

Honestly, I don't think it will work out. No one goes downtown to go shopping. It will take much more investment to get it to have any sort of retail allure.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:04 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any idea on how that shopping center downtown is doing? The one with the Bebe (or is it bcbg) store and the Forever 21 and the overpriced Mexican restaurant and bookstore?

I saw it when it first opened and no one was there and there were a lot of vacant stores waiting to be leased.

Honestly, I don't think it will work out. No one goes downtown to go shopping. It will take much more investment to get it to have any sort of retail allure.
I've gotten the impression that the Pavilions is hurting for business, too.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:14 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:

The entire thing opened just as the recession was setting in, which was bad timing.

House of Blues is doing as well as any other HoB, and Lucky Strike apparently is making an impact too. Forever XXI looks like it's not doing much. Books-A-Million too, although I don't think it's overpriced. Been in there a couple times and picked up some stuff.

I'd give it at least another year or two before writing the whole thing off as a failure.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:38 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Let's not forget that online shopping is dominating and will continue to do so.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:19 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
I think they're doing pretty steady business. When I'm in Houston, I always go downtown to catch lunch with my mom (she works next door) and we've gone to Guadalajara restaurant and McCormick and Schmick's. The main thing is that downtown really does cater to the business types and there's only so much money you can make with that. They have the bowling alley and I believe a few other places/bars are supposed to open up, but I would be concerned about that because both Lucky Strike and bar are generally nighttime concepts. I've definitely been downtown at work in the evening and HUNGRY and my only option was Burger King or that stinky chicken they have at the convenience store on Main--I couldn't even get Brown Bag. I hope it changes soon, because I'm probably going to be working downtown again this summer!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:56 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I've definitely been downtown at work in the evening and HUNGRY and my only option was Burger King or that stinky chicken they have at the convenience store on Main--I couldn't even get Brown Bag. I hope it changes soon, because I'm probably going to be working downtown again this summer!
They have a banh mi place downtown, but it closes at 3pm (!) everyday except for Thursday and Friday.

And that convenience store has good crispitos!!!!

By the court house that have a taco stand but it reminds me of something like taco cabana tbh...

Overall, though, downtown is lacking in dining options. A lot of stuff is overpriced and geared towards the business lunch crowd.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:09 PM

76 posts, read 268,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
I've gotten the impression that the Pavilions is hurting for business, too.
Books a million sure is. I've been to a couple of the restaurants at 530 on a weekday afternoon and the only people are sitting at the bar. That's not a good sign, especially since the food is mediocre at several of them. I know the service at McCormick and Schmick's was disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: