U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2010, 06:17 PM

19 posts, read 28,561 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just saw a piece on the news about Neil Diamond helping some folks in Galveston rebuild. It led us to wonder about the state of recovery after the hurricaine that devastated it. Is Galveston Island still pretty much decimated? Has some, lots, any rebuilding gone on? Thanks for the info in advance. We are still considering moving and South Texas has popped up on our radars again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:54 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,495,359 times
Business is good in the summer months. The beaches will be completely full of people for miles and miles.

A lot of places, mainly smaller businesses and cheaper houses, are still in disrepair and have no hope. This does not affect the tourist, though.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 PM

572 posts, read 733,070 times
Yeah. The smaller business and small bed and breakfast type places are still in shambles...that is the structures are standing but they're noticeably weather beaten and their windows are boarded up. That being said, major businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc. are back up and running and have been for some time. In fact, I was down there for the first time since Ike just over a month ago. It's pretty much back to normal. If you take a drive down South, though, where a BUNCH of the beach houses used to be it's just a barren wasteland of empty foundations...kind of sad...

Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
I don't know about the area south where vertigo is talking about being so bad, maybe I just ever went that far south. As far as I am concerned the devastation was never near as bad as you heard on the news. I see little evidence at this time that the hurricane ever hit other then the fishing pier. Whatever damage was done is pretty much hidden or fixed.

Whatever the case, the tourists keep coming and as someone above mentioned, the beaches are wall to wall people. The restaurants are booming and every other type of business is dieing or is dead and gone. But a new round of entrepreneurs will open new businesses in all those vacant stores and hope for the best this beach season.

Despite all the bad things I hear, I still love Galveston. It has it's problems, especially govt corruption but I still love it.

The real devastation which there can be no mistake a natural disaster hit is on Bolivar Island. Now that still looks like a war zone.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,759,718 times
well it already looked devasted before the hurricane

Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM

220 posts, read 424,196 times
I was under the impression that several, if not all, of the county pocket beach parks south of 61st street were still closed. But Galveston state park is now open with limited facilities. Anyone confirm?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:12 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgerma View Post
I was under the impression that several, if not all, of the county pocket beach parks south of 61st street were still closed. But Galveston state park is now open with limited facilities. Anyone confirm?
Galveston State Park opened last June or July with limited facilities. The RV park was not open at all though they allowed tent campers. I heard from another fellow RVer that almost all the RV park is open now except for the areas that washed away.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:27 PM

7,351 posts, read 8,059,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesxux View Post
My wife and I just saw a piece on the news about Neil Diamond helping some folks in Galveston rebuild. It led us to wonder about the state of recovery after the hurricaine that devastated it. Is Galveston Island still pretty much decimated? Has some, lots, any rebuilding gone on? Thanks for the info in advance. We are still considering moving and South Texas has popped up on our radars again.
What is the most astounding is that Neil Diamond was in the news...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston