Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times

Advertisements

I hope they still have the Elite One Pass Program...or at least honor the mileage racked up on Continental on whatever program United has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
It's better to at least make some effort than none at all. We should prepare for the worst case scenario (losing the HQ), but try anyway to make things change (convince the company to put HQ in Houston and maybe convince ExpressJet to move to Chicago in exchange), then only end when it is absolutely certain.
Yeah, that would've been great.......weeks ago.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
It's also how Houston is. The Mayor said today on ABC 13 that the fight still isn't over for the HQ, and that they will try until everything is final, but I don't know what they can do.
Someone should enlighten her that the battle is over.

Maybe tomorrow, Ill go to a funeral with a defibrillator and see if I can revive the corpse in the casket.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:21 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,854,194 times
Houston won't feel the loss that much. Bush will continue to be a major hub regardless. Business as usual.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:22 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
That's good to know!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,223,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston won't feel the loss that much. Bush will continue to be a major hub regardless. Business as usual.
Exactly. They may lose a few frequencies and a few domestic routes to Denver. Other than that, IAH should be okay.

The biggest loser in this equation is going to be Cleveland.

I'm still trying to figure out if Dulles (Untied hub) and Newark (Continental Hub) are going to be affected by this merger. Both hubs serve major Transatlantic service between them.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 PM

90 posts, read 235,683 times
I am not worried about the airline leaving Houston at all. I am more inclined to be concerned with airline prices. Less competition means higher prices. Hell, with such few major airlines left I am more afraid of price fixing than continental pulling out or even reducing presence in Houston.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:42 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,009,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah, that would've been great.......weeks ago.
JLuke: I will insist - it is better to at least do something than nothing - I don't care if it is seemingly overdue. At least make some effort - The successful (Assuming the DOJ approves this) proposal occurred very quickly after the proposed United and US Airways union was called off - there was speculation about United and Continental hooking up, but when do you take the speculation seriously? When does it merit having the city begin a PR campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcash View Post
I am not worried about the airline leaving Houston at all. I am more inclined to be concerned with airline prices. Less competition means higher prices. Hell, with such few major airlines left I am more afraid of price fixing than continental pulling out or even reducing presence in Houston.
Of course prices will rise. The airlines want this to happen. Right now consumers are enjoying cheap airfare, but it is hard for airlines to make money with those prices. By merging the new airline plans to reduce seats so it can charge higher prices. There is nothing wrong with that really.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:49 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
There's a good chance that this forum will outlive the entire airline industry as we know it, so when that day comes we might pull this up and see how silly we were for getting so bent out of shape over this.

Time to focus on improving the city in general and pursuing other businesses, preferably ones that are actually profitable. Maybe Houston didn't have a plan to "save" Continental because it wasn't worth the trouble.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That has been known since the begginning of the merger talk. Houston might lose one bank of domestic flights, but they will not lose any destinations.

The hurt is for the city of Houston, not IAH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston