U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-29-2010, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,671 times

Advertisements

I will be in the area in a couple of mon. can anybody tell me anything about San Leon...good or bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 10:41 AM

32 posts, read 55,215 times
Not a lot going on in San Leon. You would be better off IMO staying in League City, Kemah, or Seabrook. It is a mixture of some nice homes and some really not so nice homes. There is a decent seafood restaurant called Topwater Grill that is on the water and has some pretty good fried shrimp.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:13 AM

98 posts, read 183,679 times
There’s some decent placed to eat seafood in and around San Leon. Topwater as someone mentioned, Gilhooley's (no kids allowed), but other than that it doesn’t have a lot to recommend. It’s very blue collar. If you are looking for a hotel, I would look elsewhere.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,202,337 times
I haven't driven in that direction in a while, but there are some rough spots down there. Or maybe that was in Bacliff. There's a few good local restaurants, but not much else.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM

76 posts, read 113,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chke View Post
I will be in the area in a couple of mon. can anybody tell me anything about San Leon...good or bad?
Good or bad for what? There are plenty of places to eat and relax. One other place that hasn't been mentioned in Judge's just a few blocks from Gilhooley's. Quite a bit of damage is still visible from Hurricane Ike but people and businesses are reopening.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,671 times
Default san leon

I will be house sitting for a friend, but I have never even heard of it until now. I was wondering what there was to do or see? How far is it to galveston? how clean...after Ike? I know people fish there, but other than that I don't know anything else.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:20 PM

76 posts, read 113,219 times
Quote:
I will be house sitting for a friend, but I have never even heard of it until now. I was wondering what there was to do or see? How far is it to galveston? how clean...after Ike? I know people fish there, but other than that I don't know anything else.
If you're looking for a tropical paradise forget it. If you're looking for a laid back place you've found it. Lots of good beer drinking with the locals is fun to me. I think you'll be surprised at the amount of damage still visible. Lots has been done but there is still a way to go.

I'd have no problem house sitting but sounds like you may be looking for tourist central. San Leon isn't it.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:26 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,253,886 times
Default Forget Ike..

Quote:
I'd worry about tarballs from the Gulf spill that is happening right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston