Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 PM

76 posts, read 268,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
At the very least it increases their chances of getting stopped, harassed and basically made to show cause as to why they should not be arrested.
It is obvious you have not read bill 1070. The bill is only reiterating federal law that isn't being enforced. They are only allowed to be questioned after they have been stopped for another offense. At that point, per federal law, they must be able to provide identification required to be a resident in the United States. Nothing beyond the current federal laws are being introduced.

Last edited by matthou; 04-30-2010 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:52 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
This one time, two years ago, this illegal immigrant guy, who already got arrested and let go for some reason killed this other guy and so that is why I propose we become a police state where everyone is forced to prove there nationality to the authorities on demand or face arrest and unlimited detention.
Here's something a little more current (like today).... Pinal County Sheriff's deputy shot after traffic stop

A Pinal County Sheriff's deputy was shot in the stomach Friday by an undocumented immigrant off Interstate 8, according sheriff's officials.

Chris I normally agree with you on most issues, but this one psst...undocumented immigrant = ILLEGAL!

"Who knows how much u would've had 2 pay an American 2 shoot that deputy?!! That truckload of "illegals" did it 4 free! I'm sure they'd bring the same "work ethic" 2 pickin strawberries!" - Joe Harrell (AZ resident)

Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 PM

How con anyone in their right freaking mind have a problem with what this gov. is doing for her state?

YouTube - Governor Brewer on Greta van Susteren

Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 PM

192 posts, read 504,923 times
Here are some other interesting topics that I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions on:

Arizona Legislature Passes Bill to Curb 'Chauvanism' in Ethnic Studies Programs

State Pushes School Districts to Reassign Instructors With Heavy Accents or Other Shortcomings in Their English

It would be great if we could keep the discussion as cerebral and unheated as possible (especially not to scare off the non-Houstonian folk).

Old 05-01-2010, 12:53 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
If we really want to stop violent crime in this country, I've got a proposal... and I expect all those on the right that support the AZ immigration law to also support my proposal.

Guns are the single biggest offender of violent crimes. My proposal is:
1. Mandatory registration of all firearms in the US.

2. Give police officers the right to search any person/car/home suspected of possessing an unregistered firearm.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
If we really want to stop violent crime in this country, I've got a proposal... and I expect all those on the right that support the AZ immigration law to also support my proposal.

2. Give police officers the right to search any person/car/home suspected of possessing an unregistered firearm.
No Problem...

Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 AM

343 posts, read 942,514 times
Bad idea...very bad idea. I will leave it at that.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:35 AM

102 posts, read 185,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post

I'm sure that those that felt absolutely free to disregard the standing immigration laws would be rushing to comply with those nifty new firearms regulations.....along with the home-grown criminals who possess firearms.

I hear all of this hysteria about this "new" law, when all it is is a reiteration of the federal law, but allowing the state law enforcement agencies to participate in it's enforcement.

My wife is also an American of Mexican descent, and seems to have no problem with the enforcement of the existing immigration laws. I don't presume to speak for her, but from the conversations that we have had, the impression that I get is that the ideal solution from her perspective is to make it easier to immigrate legally and more difficult and less attractive to do so illegally.

My own perception is that the current immigration laws don't seem to be so restrictive that immigrants from countries that are separated from us by an ocean or two can't manage to comply with them.

According to the DHS, which runs the ICE, the breakdown in rounded terms of "Persons Obtaining Legal Resident Status By Region and Country of Last Residence" is:

~1.1 million total new legal residents in 2009

~115K - Europe
~395K - Asia
~123K - Africa
~101K - South America
~47K - Central America
~164K - Mexico
~22K - Canada

So, it's not like the regulations are so restrictive that no one is able to legally immigrate, or to obtain legal residence as an expat. I can't help but wonder if the attitude of many of the illegals is something like "Why bother? There's no real penalty for circumventing the process, and not much real benefit to be gained from going through the correct procedures."

Old 05-01-2010, 06:49 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
...we have a horribly flawed policy and inept bureaucracy as far as immigration goes, and it needs to be fixed where it works for everyone involved. The idea of sealing the borders is pie in the sky. We live in a NAFTA world. Both major parties have interests in immigrants and/or the cheap labor they bring, and so do you unless you like paying a lot more money for things than you do.
And here's the deal. Until these stupid laws are enforced, and we are made to suffer the consequences through the price of new homes and insolvency of social security, the laws will not be changed. They will just be ignored.

On the other hand, if the stupid laws were to be enforced, most people wouldn't be happy with the result. And the stupid laws WOULD be changed.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:37 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
I dont see why people are bothering to post incidents of illegal immigrants killing citizens. You guys do know that citizens kill each other too? Citzens kill each other way more than illegal aliens kill citizens. Thats like me posting an article about racism in a city and claiming the entire city is racist.

This law is a travisty. Hopefully it doesnt spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: