U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:03 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,614,108 times
I considered Pearland and Sugarland; Pearland was attractive because it is closer. But over the two years I was considering moving, the commute on 288 went from busy to dreadful. I also saw the west side of Pearland expand very rapidly, with strip malls full of boring chain restaurants springing up all over the place and very busy intersections with terrible traffic. Sugar Land, on the other hand, is a more established suburb. Development has happened, it would seem, in a more controlled manner. Shopping areas appear more attractive and seem to have a greater diversity of restaurants, stores, etc. After lots of time spent thinking about this question, if I had to choose one, I would choose Sugar Land (in the end I chose a closer-in neighborhood, FWIW).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 PM

6 posts, read 11,656 times
I'd go with Pearland. All three of your choices are basically soulless middle class suburbs. All three have decent schools, chain stores and restaurants, and row after row of identical houses. If you want any kind of culture, interesting restaurants or stores, etc you're going to have to drive into the city. You might as well live in the place where getting to the city is easiest.

Really, aside from the commute there isn't that big a difference. People on this board will argue that there is, but I remain unconvinced.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:06 AM

6,356 posts, read 9,170,303 times
Visit and make your own decision - everyone on the forum will push their "favorite" neighborhood and toot its horn about how great it is along with the commute. Obviously you have looked at neighborhoods that people like a lot - it is now a matter of checking each one out and seeing what you liked. Pearland's 288 commute into town is heavy traffic and continues to get worse as it grow in population -- everyone I know who lives there considers the 288/518 area traffic "horrendous" at that interchange unless you leave home early in the a.m. and come home either early or late. But that could probably be said about the others as well. Check out the areas you listed and check out the school districts and see which one is the best fit for you. Some areas do have a Metro Park and Ride should you choose to want to take the bus to work in downtown.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:17 PM

18 posts, read 42,507 times
We are moving to Houston area and chose Katy based on factors similar to those mentioned. It appears to be very family-oriented (with the amenities and such), have good schools and the commute appears do-able to downtown (with a variety of ways to go there).

Just my $0.02. Your mileage may vary...

Old 05-09-2010, 01:27 PM

You haven't mentioned Kingwood but with 59 greatly expanded it is a very easy commute now.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 44,030 times
James.Mcgill: how long do you think your commute will be from Katy?

Texas7: How is the Kingwood commute compared to the other 3 neighborhoods I mentioned? It seems be be a bit further out mileage-wise...

Old 05-09-2010, 04:44 PM

I have some co-workers who live in Kingwood and they seem to love their commute with the widened freeways (and they can park and ride if they choose). I think they have about a 30-35 minute commute. I believe you would have a shorter commute (timewise) from Kingwood than you would Katy.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:10 PM

With regard to my commute, according to folks that live in Katy and do a similar commute, I am told it will be 30-45 minutes (including traffic) to the Galleria area. This seems to match Google Maps with traffic at rush hours.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 PM

4,654 posts, read 8,397,498 times
I love living in Sugar Land but I do despise the commute. To go just east of downtown, it takes me 45 minutes each way with my carpool and 1 hour alone. Eventually I will go back to working from home. As far as neighborhoods go, I only know my own neighborhood well...New Territory. Highly recommend it. It is like living in a small town. Awesome place to raise a family. Exemplary public schools. Great zoning (which is rare in the Houston area).

Old 05-09-2010, 09:16 PM

Some one told me that Pearland has a lot higher chance for hurricane evacuation, being it's more south, closer to the Golf. That's why their sister moved away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston