U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,175 times

Advertisements

Hi, Hubbie likely to be transferred to his head office in Kingwood sometime early 2011, I have about 100 questions in my head but any information on the following would be greatly received

1) We've been looking at Kingwood, Spring & The Woodlands - any comments? Would we Brits fit in better in some areas than others?

2) Am concerned about my lack of religious beliefs, will I be preached at a lot?

3) Am concerned about where I can walk the dogs - are there lots of rules

4) Does anyone know long long our sons would have to wait to apply for a green card - one is about to finish 2-year University course & one is working at present

That'll do for now - don't want to bore you

Any of your knowledge would be useful
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 11:00 AM

50 posts, read 132,726 times
I can only answer one, question 2) My girlfriend and I moved to Houston, which is a very conservative area compared to the liberal place we were from in MN, neither of us is very religious at all. We never really get preached at.. As long as you're not telling people "there is no god" or anything crazy like that you'll be fine...

Old 05-09-2010, 12:04 PM

3,380 posts, read 6,603,991 times
I only know about 2) - you will not be preached at unless you go seeking. Houston is probably going to be more diverse than you are expecting, and consequently there are tons of different religions here. People are very tolerant of differences.

As far as 1) - I am only familiar with the Woodlands, and yes that would be a great fit. Some of the Houston suburbs are home to various corporate headquarters, and thus have lots of folks from overseas.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:42 PM

4,707 posts, read 11,743,379 times
1. If your working in Kingwood then get a house in Kingwood. Kingwood and The Woodlands are very similar as far as quality of living so I can't imagine why you would want to buy in TW and commute 45 minutes to Kingwood.
2. No problems.
3. Kingwood has a dog park and lots of walking trails. Only rules would typically be to pick up after your dog.
4. talk to a qualified immigration lawyer. Any answer you get here would be an educated guess.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:10 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,917,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker0217 View Post
As long as you're not telling people "there is no god" or anything crazy like that you'll be fine...
crazy like that? There are thousands of gods that Christians don't believe in... I just happen to not believe in one more... is that so crazy?

To answer the OP: You're going to find Houston is much more religious than secular Europe. However, I've found that the majority of residents within the Houston-metro area tend to keep their religious views to themselves. For example, I just found out the other day that a guy I've worked with for 4 years plays in a band at his church. On a couple of occasions my daughter has been invited to a church function, but that's about it... and no one seemed to care when we politely declined the invite.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:16 PM

50 posts, read 132,726 times
I'm not saying that not believing in God is crazy, to each their own, but if your just blatantly trying to tell everyone that their God isn't real, a lot of people will say your crazy and get ticked. I personally have no opinions either way on religion. I don't believe or not believe. Whatever is, is. This is off topic. But I guess maybe I should have stated it better in my reply. :/

Old 05-09-2010, 08:45 PM

488 posts, read 1,205,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cantona View Post
1) We've been looking at Kingwood, Spring & The Woodlands - any comments? Would we Brits fit in better in some areas than others?

2) Am concerned about my lack of religious beliefs, will I be preached at a lot?

4) Does anyone know long long our sons would have to wait to apply for a green card - one is about to finish 2-year University course & one is working at present
1. We are a family of 3 who moved from Scotland (almost) 2 years ago. I am constantly being told that Katy is the place to move to if you want to see lots of Brits. We are in Pearland, to the South of Houston and never bump into any. All 3 areas you mentioned are very nice although the Woodlands gets a bit of a 'stepford wife' reputation.

2. I seem to draw out the religious posse - JW's always at the door - one set of neighbours won't let their kids play with my son as he made the mistake of telling their son he didn't belive in god and the first time I volunteered at school I was working with another mum who's first question (i kid you not) was 'Have you accepted JC as your personal saviour?" - I didn't even have my coat off !! But it's maybe just my bad luck!

3. I see plenty of people walking their dogs - just remember to scoop your poop and keep him/her on a leash.

4. Not sure about the GC issue - pop over to the britishexpats.com forums for loads of good advice and some general sillyness !

Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 PM

14 posts, read 51,159 times
I live in the Katy area and there are many Brits that live in the area. There is a British Private Prep school near my home and communities with namesakes such as "Nottingham Country", etc. However, it is very far from Kingwood. It would be quite a commute each day.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:31 PM

8,988 posts, read 14,682,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
1. If your working in Kingwood then get a house in Kingwood. Kingwood and The Woodlands are very similar as far as quality of living so I can't imagine why you would want to buy in TW and commute 45 minutes to Kingwood.
2. No problems.
3. Kingwood has a dog park and lots of walking trails. Only rules would typically be to pick up after your dog.
4. talk to a qualified immigration lawyer. Any answer you get here would be an educated guess.
So far, this has been the best answer to your questions. He/she didn't answer #4 - but the advice was sage. You would rather get it from a professional than someone on the forum giving their best guess. The other answers were very correct. The Woodlands and Kingwood are so similiar - you would do best by staying close to the work place and making the commute easy. Houston has so many cultures that it is easy to fit in with your religious beliefs - if any. An earlier poster talked about the woman who asked her if she had found JC as her personal saviour yet - yeah, they exist, but, gratefully are few and far between. I would find that woman offensive (the questioner, not the questionee).

Old 05-10-2010, 04:35 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,812,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cantona View Post
Hi, Hubbie likely to be transferred to his head office in Kingwood sometime early 2011, I have about 100 questions in my head but any information on the following would be greatly received

That'll do for now - don't want to bore you

Any of your knowledge would be useful
Thanks
First I'd like to say Welcome to Houston!

Next I'll address your questions;

1. I live in Sugar Land, if you like diversity then this is the place to be, but the commute to work would be god awful from here. So I would suggest The Woodlands, it's a very nice suburban area, lots of tree's and lots of greenery.

2. I'm Hindu, and I never get preached for my religious views, I haven't ever seen anyone do that before. You'll be fine.

3. Not many rules, just make sure your dog doesn't make a mess out of someones yard/property, and you should be fine.

4. Hmm, I have no idea about question 4 right now, but are you coming on an H1/L1 type of Visa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or