U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM

415 posts, read 375,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Bellaire and West University Place. Great Location and attractive looking area, but horrible people and don't dare be caught around after dark if you're black (No; this has nothing to do with the baseball dude getting shot; I know from personal experience).
Bellaire for sure. Even if you drive a luxury car. They'll just tell you were pulled over because they read the inspection sticker date wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM

4,022 posts, read 4,901,787 times
Bellaire is not a suburb look at map next time before you post Katy & Meadows place are suburbs

Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 PM

894 posts, read 1,919,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Bellaire is not a suburb look at map next time before you post Katy & Meadows place are suburbs
If YOU look at a map, you'll notice that the area of Bellaire is color-coded differently than Houston (at least on 90% of maps if they're accurate anyway). That signifies that Bellaire is indeed a separate city. It has its own police department, mayor, city government, although within HISD school district (Bellaire HS is HISD but still a very good, very prestigious public school and it has a strong multiplier effect on real estate vs similar homes in adjacent HS zones).

At the time it was incorporated it was outside the Houston city area of development (I'm talking pre-WWII) and met anyone's qualification for a suburb, including true separate city status. I'll agree that it's a bit of a "strange" suburb now because it's surrounded by City of Houston, but it's a suburb ("inner ring") none-the-less.

Houston has several of these strange beasts that incorporated as traditional suburbs outside of Houston when the whole city was located inside the inner loop 610, and I'm not talking that many years ago (maybe 30-40's at the earliest) compared to eastern cities. They post-air-condition and several energy (and other) booms later and Houston exploded out past them, leaving them little M'n'M-embedded-in-the-cookie suburbs, not the usual ex-urban affairs. There are two others near Bellaire in inner SW Houston - WestSide Place and West University. WestSide Place must be the skinniest city in America. The whole incorporated city is like 15 blocks long, 3 blocks wide, and the sole industry is a single strip center on Bellaire Blvd! Other ones are to the NW outside the loop on either side of IH-10/Katy Fwy. They are called the "Memorial Villages", Hedwig Village (named after the German Tranny movie?? :-) , Piney Pt, etc.

I think all of them have their own police dept or maybe a couple team up to have one - but all separate from Houston. The houses are VERY expensive (most over $1mm and that buys a lot in Houston), are very big, and the owners very rich and have nice things. The police are very ubiquitous and strict. I used to work in one of them and they didn't seem very racist (my wife is black and she ran in and out of there without problems, except when we were in an argument screaming at a red light, but we only got a warning) but were definitely quite zero-tolerance. I think they did have some "mindset" problems, like if you were in a car worth less than $100,000 and it didn't have a ladder on it or you weren't dressed in a maid's uniform you must be up to no good, no matter what your race. I bet after the Tolan civil suit settles for a couple of Mil $ someday you'll see all the small-town police dept's extremely polite and politically correct to a fault. I'm sure the diversity-sensitivity training has started already.

Last edited by bamba_boy; 09-15-2010 at 05:37 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 04:44 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,470,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
77065 for Copperfield. Thats a pretty good are.
Cypress Springs is Not part of the Cooperfield area. Copperfield in East of Barker Cypress....not by Fry rd.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM

3,146 posts, read 5,120,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Bellaire and West University Place. Great Location and attractive looking area, but horrible people and don't dare be caught around after dark if you're black (No; this has nothing to do with the baseball dude getting shot; I know from personal experience).
Bellaire's between many areas within Houston - Even during the night people from Houston drive through. It would be especially foolish for the cops to enforce a "driving while black" profiling on people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston