Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:29 PM

332 posts, read 532,582 times

Advertisements

But Scarface713 is wrong though, we are not talking about MLS teams using it here, we are talking about the FIFA World Cup. You know, tens of thousands of people coming in, Networks reporting on it live and such. I know, what to do after the Cup is over right? I have a feeling MLS is going to get a little more attention from Americans if the Cup is hosted in the US. They will feel first hand the vibe it gets and may just want to buy a ticket for one, etc.

We will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:32 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey713 View Post
But Scarface713 is wrong though, we are not talking about MLS teams using it here, we are talking about the FIFA World Cup. You know, tens of thousands of people coming in, Networks reporting on it live and such. I know, what to do after the Cup is over right? I have a feeling MLS is going to get a little more attention from Americans if the Cup is hosted in the US. They will feel first hand the vibe it gets and may just want to buy a ticket for one, etc.

We will see.
What am I wrong on? You are saying they should build the Dynamo stadium bigger. It is already slated to have 20K and be expandable to 30K. That's big enough. They aren't going to built it to hold 50K plus just because the US may host the World Cup in 2018 or 2022. For events like the World Cup, Reliant Stadium will be used. And seriously, it's not like the US hasn't hosted a World Cup before. And why don't you go look at the size and capacities of the other MLS stadiums being built.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 AM

332 posts, read 532,582 times
You were wrong where you wrote about MLS teams using it and we at this thread are talking about FIFA coming to Houston to host the World Cup. As far as I remember there wasnt such a big hype before about 'non-believers' starting to like soccer back then when we the US hosted the World Cup like now. Soccer stars are getting publicity, getting paid better, obviously announcing publicly what they are going to earn, European players making US commercials and/or coming to the US to play in on of the MLS teams. Dynamo stadium needing to be built bigger would add greater prestige to Houston as a soccer city. Do not forget the fact that Mexican soccer clubs come here for matches against MLS or other clubs. Many Latin Americans come to Houston just for that and I know if there was actualy a dedicated space for soccer in Hosuton there will be more coming to see it, being cheap to fly to Houston from Mexico, Central and South Am. I dont know much about the AT & T event held here months ago. if it is going to repeat annualy or not but I remember everyone buzzing about which soccer stars were going coming to Houston. I also remember many people not being joly about the idea it was going to be in Robertson Stadium. A HUGE event like this in a college stadium?!!? Dreaming for the big prize is not bad for Houston it will only help set Houston as THE SPOT for international matches.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:19 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
I see what you're saying, but that's not feasible for an MLS team. That will be the main tenant in the stadium, along with TSU, so the MLS matters. For bigger events (International teams playing each other or the Dynamo, the World Cup), Reliant Stadium would be used.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
Well, we all have 4 extra years to debate everything. US bid team just withdrew its bid for 2018. Now they will just focus on 2022.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:26 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Wow!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Well, we all have 4 extra years to debate everything. US bid team just withdrew its bid for 2018. Now they will just focus on 2022.
NO WC for the US!!! I called it (or the article I posted did). Russa 2018, Quatar in 2022. Welcome to the world of FIFA, probably the most corrupt organization in the world only rivaled by the IOC.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:29 PM

That picture of that guy holding the trophy looked goofy. At least we have cold comfort in that.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Quatar? They will only have men dancing at the opening ceremony, no female fans? Can you imagine their take on the Brazilian girls? The Brazilian fans will be sitting in burqas.
Then, oh God. Booze? Will there be booze? Surely they wouldn't send us into 120 degree heat if we can't have beer.

Sorry but I had to do it

Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Lol. Picturing marketing executives and marketing teams of Budweiser, Nike, RedBull, AXE, Dos Equis at their boardroom meeting trying to get all PUMPED UP about this event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston