Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,786 times

Advertisements

if you want so stay near Mo city, try sugarland. Pearland is the hot spot right now. On a little farther note, the woodlands and kingwood are popping too. Very nice places to raise family but still have a lot of things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 03:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times
Eastern Missouri City (the older section) isn't so great, but not awful either. I know a lot of people who like it fine.

Western Missouri City is very nice, basically identical to Sugar Land (and a portion of it is First Colony after all). I've also heard that Sienna Plantation and Riverstone are very nice.

When people think negative of Missouri City, they're usually thinking of the eastern portion that borders with Houston. The western portion that borders with Sugar Land is very nice and looks exactly like Sugar Land to me.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 PM

7 posts, read 27,704 times
Whoever said Sienna and Sugar Land are surrounded by gangs lied big time. There is a city called fresno relitively close but no closer than houston that could be considered to have gang activity. But if you live in Sienna or Sugar Land you have no worries at all. This area of town is nicknamed "the bubble" for a reason. There is no way you would ever see someone close to resembling a gang member walking down your street or even going to the same Chik-Fil-A as you. And remember the best deterrent for your child going down a bad path is a loving home where you always let them know they are accepted and loved and get in a good church.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 PM

69 posts, read 245,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edunivan View Post
Whoever said Sienna and Sugar Land are surrounded by gangs lied big time. There is a city called fresno relitively close but no closer than houston that could be considered to have gang activity. But if you live in Sienna or Sugar Land you have no worries at all. This area of town is nicknamed "the bubble" for a reason. There is no way you would ever see someone close to resembling a gang member walking down your street or even going to the same Chik-Fil-A as you. And remember the best deterrent for your child going down a bad path is a loving home where you always let them know they are accepted and loved and get in a good church.
And why would Fresno be considered to have gang activity? Is it because me and the majority of the people that live here are a minority? Give me a break, just come and spit your ignorance.

Fresno and Missouri city are majority minority and are very, very nice. I cant for the live of me figure out why people are dancing around being truthful.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 AM

564 posts, read 2,037,797 times
I laugh when I think about sleepy little Fresno having gang activity. If it does, I'll bet it ain't like the gangs that we see on the news.

Probably more like snotty nose rapscallions painting mailboxes and toilet papering their neighbors trees.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:43 PM

587 posts, read 1,129,600 times
There arent any gangs in Fresno....You have some knucklehead teenagers, or as I call them, "those young idiots", who all congregate together, and hang out. Fresno was once an old town with no substance, but since the late 90's, a number of new single family residential communities have been built and feature mostly black residents..there arent any shoot outs...there arent any of the typical "drive by" shootings that you hear about on tv...there isnt any open drug dealing activity or crimes committed.

Fresno is no different than other cities and towns like Missouri City, Sugarland, Katy, Cypress, the Woodlands, Spring, Kingwood, Humble, Clear Lake and Pearland. Everyone has problems with teenagers, some areas more so than others, but I think Fresno, and the eastern side of Missouri city, get a worse rap because the majority of the citizens are black.

As for Hightower High School, it is a wonderful school with all the advantages of any suburban high school in the Houston area. While most of the students are black or african american, most of the teachers and the executive staff are white, and Hightower is now the largest high school in the Fort Bend ISD with over 2800 students.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:45 AM

9 posts, read 18,983 times
I vote SugarLand or Katy or anything west of the beltway.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-13-2007 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 07-14-2007, 06:54 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,009,179 times
Uhm, it's the same school that has a lot of venom against Patricia Paquin, the principal.

Read about the Pavlos Karnezis controversy here: Houston - News - Cut Short - The article also explains why many students and faculty do not like Paquin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
As for Hightower High School, it is a wonderful school with all the advantages of any suburban high school in the Houston area. While most of the students are black or african american, most of the teachers and the executive staff are white, and Hightower is now the largest high school in the Fort Bend ISD with over 2800 students.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-16-2007 at 02:41 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 PM

13 posts, read 60,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
Maybe you've watched one too many Hillary Swank movies, but there are loads of crappy schools all over the country with all white teachers. There are also many excellent teachers who happen to be black or African American...so I don't get your point there.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:02 PM

300 posts, read 1,846,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2tx View Post
Maybe you've watched one too many Hillary Swank movies, but there are loads of crappy schools all over the country with all white teachers. There are also many excellent teachers who happen to be black or African American...so I don't get your point there.
Thank you, ny2tx, for making this point. I couldn't have expressed it better myself. I don't know what the poster's purpose was in making the point that although all of the students were Black or African American, the teachers and administrators were white, so I have to withhold judgment on the post. But, I have read many posts on this forum and others on CD that insinuate, however subtly, that African Americans are socially and intellectually inferior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston