U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:32 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,684,770 times

Advertisements

I think I see what v2four is trying to say but wow did this person word it poorly. I think he or she was trying to point out that there is diversity. East of Cartwright gets a bad rap all around from the Sugar Land elitist jerks because it's mostly black. And I am in no way saying that even a small percentage of Sugar Land residents are elitist jerks. But the ones that are, damn are they ever! I know a few Sugar Land residents that will not send their gifted children to the FBISD magnet school for the gifted because it's in the "bad part of Missouri City. Please!
Let's give V2four a chance to dig him or herself out of this hole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 PM

13 posts, read 45,636 times
Still waiting, V2four...

Old 07-18-2007, 03:26 PM

168 posts, read 561,767 times
I may be digging the same hole, but I actually did grow up in both Hunters Glen and Ridgemont, the absolute WORST parts of Ft. Bend imaginable from the ages of 10 to 18. Yes, there were gangs then so they probably exist now. There were crack houses, drive by shootings, armed robberies, prostitution, rapes, and not everyone who went to the bathroom in my high school came out in the same condition they went in. There are many parts of Missouri City that are very nice, but there are a few horrible ones too and nobody of any color wants that for their kids.

Quail Valley is a nice area, but the houses aren't getting any younger and I'm reading that some of their prized golf courses are getting acquired to build townhomes and condos. The residents are grouping together and trying to stop those plans but I don't have any idea how likely that is. Of course, that may mean house prices will be very attractive for you soon and if you don't play golf you won't miss it anyway.

I've lived in Sugar Land 5 years now and I can say without a doubt the First Colony areas are lovely and you will be happy with the schools and parks. Sienna Plantation is new and absolutely gorgeous, but is about a 1/2 hour drive from US59 and there aren't nearby grocery stores and conveniences yet. Riverstone is more convenient but the schools they plan to build are a couple of years off still. I think Riverstone and Sienna Plantation are zoned to Elkins, which I've heard has a great pre-medicine magnet program.

I am a Sugar Land resident and very proud parent of a gifted & talented program kid. I hope our future resident from Detroit finds what he and his kids need here too.

Good luck on the job search and the house hunt. If the Houston Chronicle website isn't helping you find a job, you can try Monster.com. There are tons of jobs here and if you can't find one on your own there are lots of employment agencies (no fee to you) that can probably help you out. HAR.com has thousands of house listings and the Texas Education Agency can give you all the hard numbers you'll need for deciding on schools.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:05 PM

492 posts, read 498,115 times
all,
I havent been in over a week, but I see I left quite an impression on a few people. Just for the record, let me clear some things up:

1) Ive never seen a Hillary Swank movie where she played the lead character or a supporting cast member..not even her two oscar wins for million dollar baby or boys dont cry..... the movie someone thinks I may have seen with the black student body being taught by all white teachers was Freedom Writers...I just looked up the Hillary Swank page on imdb.com and found that out.

2) there is no attempt on my part to play the race card or to appear as if I have some sort of underlying factor. Im just supplying information and rebutals.

on page one of this forum, two people, edunivan and trailynn, both assumed that Hightower was a bad school, and full of gang members. Edunivan said this:
If you move to Missouri City, get a home off of HWY 6. That would be Quail Valley, Lake olympia, Sienna Plantation, First Colony. Don't let your kids go to Hightower or Marshall...These schools are pretty bad. The rest of FBisd is great. Elkins is where they probably will go if you live in quail valley, Lake Olympia, or the right side of sienna plantation.

Trailynn mentioned this in her message:
Thanks for all of the helpful advice.. I have done some research on Hightower and I am trying to stay clear of that high school. I read that Sienna Plantation was surrounded by "gangs" how true is that?
I am leaving a city ( Inkster) where it's nothing but gangs on every side and I refuse to allow my two sons to become a statistic in gang violence.
What about Pearland? I hear that is one laid back community and it's nice to raise a family....

here is the second post trailynn left:
Thanks I needed to hear that.. I was told that Sienna Plantation was surrounded by gangs? Is that true? You don't hear much about Pearland. I think that is where I am going to focus....
I know that I haven't heard much negative about Sugarland either, but it's surrounded by gangs too, how true is that?
WOW I will be visiting next week and I will have to make a decision then. I decided to wait before I purchase just in case I make a major mistake.

Sienna plantation is zoned to Hightower, not Elkins. Marshall High schools zone is no where off of hwy 6. Its off of FM 2234, solidly in what people would call "the old Missouri City".....Why Edunivan would say to avoid Hightower and Marshall, but call Elkins "great" is beyond me. Sienna Plantation is not surronded by gangs either....I live near that area, and I have yet to see what would be termed as a real gang member in or near the area. Unless you are calling the stay at home moms and their kids who head to the waterpark, and the members of the country club "gang members", then you havent and wont see one over there.

Back to what I was intending to say . Hightower is a great school. They have every advantage that all other suburan high schools share, which include modern facilities,up to date science and computer labs, fast paced academics, fully functional library and amenties such as athlethic fields, locker rooms, and cafeteria facilities.

Hightower was built for around 2100 students (just like all the other Fort Bend ISD), but is currently bursting at the seams with over 2800 students enrolled at the end of the 2007 school year, and may see 3000 students some point during the next school year in 07-08.

The new influx of students, the majority of them being black, are due to all of the affordable housing communties that have been built in the Hightower zone such as the neighborhoods in Fresno (Teal Run, Estates of Teal Run, Teal Run Meadows, Windfield Lakes, Cambridge Falls, Arbor Oaks) and Southern Colony on FM 521 in Rosharon. Those homes start at around 100k, vs the neighborhoods in Sienna, Vicksburg, Lake Pointe Estates, Olympia Estates and others, which can start in the mid to upper 100's for a small starter home, if you can find one.

Hightower has a majority minority student population (over 75% black and Hispanic students) , but has a majority professional staff composed of white teachers and administrators. I know for a fact they only two black coaches within the entire athlethic staff, and that is a reflection on the principal, Patrica Paquin, who has come under a lot of pressure from the community. Thats what I was trying to say earlier...I no way implied that the students are better off with black teachers or white teachers, I just think its odd that the staff doesnt resemble the student body they teach and lead.

Last edited by v2four; 07-19-2007 at 01:17 PM..

Old 07-19-2007, 09:51 PM

103 posts, read 301,305 times
Just wanted to clear up that half of Sienna is zoned to Hightower, the other half is zoned to Elkins (for now).
From SP site:

Starting in the 2007-2008 school year, well regarded Elkins High School will join the list of prestigious Fort Bend schools serving Sienna Plantation. Students living in Sienna villages Anderson Springs, Bees Creek (including the Forest), The Woods, Steep Bank West and Waters Lake will attend Elkins High School, which enjoys a strong academic, athletic and UIL reputation. Elkins is ranked 12th of 97 public high schools in the Houston area and third in Fort Bend by Children at Risk, a local research and advocacy group.
Students living in the Sienna villages of Steep Bank East and Shipmanís Landing will remain at Hightower High School, which, in addition to a rigorous academic curriculum, also offers career academies for advanced studies in specific fields.

Current 10th and 11th graders now attending Hightower High School who would be zoned to Elkins High School will have the choice of remaining at Hightower.

Younger Sienna students attend Sienna Crossing Elementary, Scanlan Oaks Elementary and the new Baines Middle School, all located within the community.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 AM

492 posts, read 498,115 times
I forgot about that change that took place. The FBISD board changed the zones due to "community concern" back in May I think eventually, everything on the west side of hwy 6 (same side sienna and elkins are on) will be rezoned from Hightower to Elkins.....according the FBISD website, Hightower had 2,825 back in January 2007 vs Elkins 2,091.

Here is the link:

http://www.fortbend.k12.tx.us/cmf/var/tidbits/Tidbits_parentlinks_20070305_0820.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by v2four; 07-20-2007 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-24-2007, 04:08 PM
DLC

4 posts, read 15,525 times
I agree with the comments about the newer areas, as I live in Olympia Estates (nestled between Vicksburg & Lake Olympia & LakeShore Harbour). My daughter transferred from Marshall to Hightower and says it's like night and day....though I believe even the best schools has it's issues. The unique difference between Hightower and Dulles,Elkins or Clements; is that Hightower draws students from a more diverse demographic. There are the low income from Arcola & Fresno to the $$$$ in LakeShore Harbour & Sienna Plantation in an already overcrowded school with no relief in sight. Although FBISD plans new schools with some foresight, Sienna nor Riverstone aren't even 50% complete yet. There's even another one (Creekmont Village??) underway just across the Ft. Bend tollroad....

Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 PM

4 posts, read 10,988 times
This is an old post that I am bumping up! We are looking to buy off of Hwy 6. Can someone tell me about the elementary school in Lakes of Olympia? I think it is called Palmer? What is the ethnic makeup? Also, I think it was just Acceptable - to me that isn't great. Anyone have any thing good or bad to say about it? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston