U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:49 PM

5 posts, read 33,894 times
Default General Practitioner needed to continue ADHD script

5 years ago I was screened for ADHD by a board certified neuropsychologist in a neighboring state. This diagnosis allowed me to obtain a prescription for Adderall from every GP I've had ever since (3). When I moved to Houston recently I was shocked when my new GP said he would not accept my previous diagnosis/treatment history as reason to continue prescribing it to me, and that he would require an expensive psychiatrist diagnosis. He claimed this was a standard operating procedure and implied my previous doctors were quacks for not requiring the same. What a joke!

Are there any GPs out there (preferably in the Med Center area) that won't put up a fight about this? There are no medical grounds for any skepticism-- I maintain a healthy weight and blood pressure, have no other health problems, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 AM

4,125 posts, read 6,488,597 times
Default Maybe not...

I would not say it was a joke; perhaps Texas has different laws than the state where you came from? Also, be careful, 'Doctor Shopping' is illegal in Texas as in most other states and may land you in jail.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:44 PM

There is no law in Texas saying that there has to be a psychiatrist diagnosis of ADHD in order for a GP to prescribe Adderall. If you think that, you're extremely ignorant. And "doctor shopping" means something very specific which is not applicable to my situation. I have a legit medical condition for which I've been prescribed this medication in the past. Doctor shoppers fake conditions and hope they find an MD willing to give them what they want.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:53 PM

7,663 posts, read 17,103,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done01 View Post
There are no medical grounds for any skepticism-- I maintain a healthy weight and blood pressure, have no other health problems, etc.

Me too, unfortunately I can't get the sh*t I like either.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Default Huh?

Quote:
There is no law in Texas saying that there has to be a psychiatrist diagnosis of ADHD in order for a GP to prescribe Adderall. If you think that, you're extremely ignorant. And "doctor shopping" means something very specific which is not applicable to my situation. I have a legit medical condition for which I've been prescribed this medication in the past. Doctor shoppers fake conditions and hope they find an MD willing to give them what they want.
Well, I don't think one way or the other that there is a law. I have no clue really. All I merely did was give a reason why the doctor you visited requested an evaluaton. I'm ignorant about a lot of things, even ADHD, I'm just excercising common sense.

Regardless of the need for Adderall, it is a Level II drug, therefore it requires a prescription. All your doctor is doing is wanting a qualified reason to prescribe it. But then again, I am ignorant about drugs too, maybe I can go ask my Dr for demerol for my grey hair.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
All your doctor is doing is wanting a qualified reason to prescribe it.
Yea, and his definition of a "qualified reason" is what is at issue. I've had 3 GP's (all from respectable university-funded institutions) prescribe this to me on the basis of a neuropsychologist's diagnosis of ADHD. If this sample is at all representative of GPs in general, the majority of GPs out there feel this is sufficient medical grounds. IMO, any GP who won't write his new patient a refill until they obtain an expensive diagnosis from a psychiatrist (in this awful economy), when there is already such an established medical history, is being very insensitive and draconian.

Go ahead and make your little rude insinuations that I am some kind of druggie doctor shopper. I'm not here to debate this with you. As you admit, you are ignorant about ADHD and medicine in general. Frankly, I don't even know why you bothered responding.

Is there anyone out there who actually knows what they're talking about who can recommend a doc PLEASE? I'm extremely busy with my new job and can't afford another wasted trip to another doctor who may turn out to be the same.

Last edited by done01; 05-24-2010 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Go ahead and make your little rude insinuations that I am some kind of druggie doctor shopper. I'm not here to debate this with you. As you admit, you are ignorant about ADHD and medicine in general. Frankly, I don't even know why you bothered responding.
Firstly, you missed my point regarding being ignorant about matters; you don't know my background, or my education, so don't mistake ignorance for stupidity. Ignorance is simply a sincere lack of knowledge about any given topic, whereas stupidity is knowing something about a topic and carrying on illogically.

I was doing you a favor, but it went past your head. I was not defending the doctor either, 'just giving the Dr the benefit of the doubt. All for good reason, you see, what most people do not know is that when you seek a level/schedule II drug, your Dr has to report that. You know that Social Security number you give to the admin assistant when you check in? That is tied to your effort to obtain a prescription. Your SSN and that attempt is put into a system. Guess what happens when your SSN pops up with a few failed attempts to get the same prescription?

Again, proceed with caution. I would argue with your first doctor than to simply go out and find another, else someone might come knocking on your door. Texas has an active PMP (prescription monitoring program) to thwart Dr shopping, so whether you do it with mal intent, or not, Big Brother is watching. This is no joke.

BTW, my mother is a retired nurse and my source. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 PM

You can stop hijacking my thread now, thanks.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,361,964 times
We ran into a similar situation with my son's diagnosis. It does not have anything to do with the state, but just the doctor. Some just don't like to prescibe ADHD meds. He was originally diagnosed in Texas then we have moved out of state, but he is back in Texas now. We found a doctor that would treat my son, then we he left the practice and we were transferred to another doctor in the same practice, she didn't want to treat him. The next time we moved I called several doctors in our insurance plan and asked very specific questions about if and how they would treat him. Some didn't want to treat him without a new diagnosis from a psychiatrist they recommended. Some wouldn't treat him at all, and some were willing to treat him if we had a copy of his diagnosis. We actually lived in Houston when he was orginially diagnosed. We then moved away for a few years, and then moved back. We tried to go back to the doctor that originally diagnosed him, and he refused to treat him. What? "YOU ORIGINALLY DIAGNOSED HIM!" I had a complete copy of his medical records from the day he was born up to that day, and he still refused, unless we agreed to go through a complete new screening, at a very expensive price. Eventually, we found a family practice in our area in Katy that was willing to treat him.

Anyway, we have always been able to find a good family practice doctor that would take care of him, it just took a few phone calls. He even quit taking it for the last couple of years of high school and the first year of college. During his second year, he felt that he needed to go back on it. He called a large family practice that is affiliated with a large hospital in the area and was able to find a doctor who was willing to help him, and in a college town, it can be very tricky since adderall is a big seller on college campuses. His doctor has been really great in working with him. I would just call some family practice doctors or clinics, explain your situation and just ask them if they will treat you. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Now if you go around getting scripts from a bunch of doctors, yeah, But there is nothing wrong with calling and asking if they will treat you, and what they would require to do so.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 AM

Thanks Deb! If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the office in Katy where you had success?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston