Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 AM

298 posts, read 379,949 times

Advertisements

Kelly it then Backpage/Craigslist it. The trick is to be honest with yourself. Look at the photos and compare. If your car looks "Very Good", list it as "Very Good".

There are so many people moving here that people need all sorts of cars whether it be a nice 2011 BMW or an old beater for their high schooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 AM

119 posts, read 247,959 times
I had good luck with carmax. They gave me $3000 more than what I was expecting for my old SUV.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:20 AM

857 posts, read 1,649,397 times
When I was the individual who bought a car from the owner, I paid cash.

Is there any reason to refuse to sell your car to a total stranger who is willing to pay cash?

Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM

240 posts, read 804,603 times
I actually used my CarMax bid proposal on my old vehicle to buy my current one at a dealership. It was great having a piece of paper to shove in the Subaru salesman's face to say that my truck was worth much, much more than what they were offering to give me for trade in.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,579,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
When I was the individual who bought a car from the owner, I paid cash.

Is there any reason to refuse to sell your car to a total stranger who is willing to pay cash?
I've done that and the process is draining. Meeting total strangers in parking lots and letting them test drive your car while you ride shotgun isn't something a lot of people like to do. My other car was a hot rod project that didn't run, and a total stranger and his buddy with a tow truck met me at the house. I'd say even more people wouldn't be comfortable with that.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:07 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,776,031 times
A good tip: if you're ever selling something on Craigslist, have them meet you at an HPD parking lot.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,766,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
People seem to think they can command full retail price when they are selling to a dealer. Did it ever occur to you that they need to make a profit in the end? They have to spend a great deal of money cleaning and detailing it before they can even consider putting it on the front line with shoe polish on the windshield. And that car still may sit there and rot on the lot for months all the while incurring carrying costs.

Learn the difference between retail and wholesale. If you want retail then you have to sell it out of your driveway.....trusting all kinds of koo koos from Craigslist to come to your home. It's scary. For that safety factor you are paying for it by selling to a dealer by taking less money and assuming less risk and having it over and done with that very day

$2000 under what you feel is the true value is a good offer and even if you find a better offer it will be only by a hundred or 2 and if some one gives you a better price it might be because they are desperate for quality inventory. But in these depression times, the used car dealers are bulging at the seams with inventory so they are paying less for cars....if they are even buying.

On a side note: Carmax is generally well known among smart consumers as selling for above average retail price suggested by any one of the rating books. In other words they are damn expensive, way over priced. That being said, it might be thought that they should also be able to buy from private individuals for more money....meaning more money in your pocket. Nope!

True story:
While helping my Mother shop for her next vehicle, I located two identically equipped vehicles. One was brand new at the dealership, the other was nearly a year old, with about 15K miles on it. Carmax was asking about 1,800 more for the used vehicle than the new one at the dealer. At that point we stopped shopping at Carmax.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:20 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,104,624 times
It's not a carmax thing, its the market right now. That's why I ended up buying new too. I suspect some just think the MSRP is the starting point for negotiations and figure used is cheaper. It isn't and it isn't, all things considered.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,669,731 times
Carmax pays pennies on the dollar for cars. The only option is to sell it yourself which will bring the most money. Take an add out in the Houston Chronicle and autotrader.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,033 times
Seems logical to me that there would be a higher demand for used vehicles during tough economic times as consumers shy away from purchasing new higher priced cars.

That being said, a used car might be somewhat more valuable during a time when there is a bigger market for it.

I say hold out and do your best to sell it outright and get the best dollar for it. Who wants to give the middleman your hard earned dollars... especially now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston