Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM

352 posts, read 772,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yep, that's where it's at.

Second to Big Oil would be full EPCM firms. In theory, you can stick with the engineering side for 3-5 years and then if you time it right, transfer to the construction site for even more $$ in the short term-- overtime, living stipends, bonuses, etc.

Houston office + Beaumont-Port Arthur jobsite is the closest semi-local thing going on since '08. On the nuclear side, I hear there is an expansion in the works near Bay City. And there also might be some pipeline jobs coming up soon near Beaumont. But as of now things are still a little tight.

Anyway, when you get back from site with all those career-enhancing battle scars, you'll have better experience than an office-only guy. Good short and long term opportunities.
How would one get in Big Oil if they didn't get an engineering degree? I am in Information Technology(programming) but want to do something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM

497 posts, read 1,478,691 times
Programming. Java or C#.net

$60 an hour is typical but the right companies pay much more. This is 1099.

Lazy people need not apply - you have to constantly self study to keep up with technological evolution. The best programmers can think both creatively and logically. Artists frequently make good coders.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
I can't really say because I don't work for a Big Oil company.

You have any friends or family in the business? That can definitely help. If not, do you have any stellar accomplishments? I mean stellar enough to outshine those guys from India who are willing to move here and work harder for less?

You could possibly go contract to hire as well.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:11 PM

401 posts, read 1,726,535 times
As a software consultant I can contribute my 2 cents.

Long gone are the days when you have to be a good coder to become a great software professional. Now the criteria has spanned out. Apart from coding skills you need to be good presenter. You also need to know how to market yourself. You have to be on the bleeding edge of the technology and always willing to learn. You have to be Googlable. This can be done by taking part in Open Source Projects, running a blog, running a website (like me!) etc.

Last but not the least is passion for development. You MUST have passion for development.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:27 PM

19 posts, read 62,633 times
Default Commodities Trader

Get into Commodities Trading. Start out as something like a Nat GAs scheduler and kiss butt for a few years. Get a shot at trading and if you do well.. 7 figures isn't un-usual.. mid 6 figures for decent traders.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 PM

784 posts, read 3,108,454 times
Don't become a teacher, especially an ESL teacher. My students who graduate with Bachelor's degrees will have a beginning salary higher than mine after 40 years in the business, but i forgot--my job is not just a job, it is my vocation.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM

258 posts, read 949,968 times
I highly respect teachers, and I admit I wouldn't have the patience to do it, (2 teachers in my immediate family so I hear the rants), but I always remind people that teachers do get summers, and pretty much every holiday off.

Beats my 10 days (no sick) vacation

Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,306,546 times
Any of the big oil companies employ tens of thousands of people and are fortune 10 companies -- they employ more than just engineers. If you're interested in going back to school, you can go get your MBA and work in their finance/controllers/general management areas.

If that doesn't sound interesting, you can try going to some of the oil & gas conferences around town and try and meet people that way. They are always hiring the right people, but often the positions are not posted. As with anything, networking with people in the industry is the best way to get in.

And I assure you they have massive IT systems that have to link 6 different continents and keep track of production volumes, prices, movements, transportation, etc...

Old 05-19-2010, 08:36 PM

192 posts, read 502,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
$100K is chicken feed in Houston. Software contractors make 3x that
With the time & exhaustion I'm putting into my degree, I think I may have chosen the wrong one. :P

Old 05-19-2010, 10:10 PM

784 posts, read 3,108,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze View Post
but I always remind people that teachers do get summers, and pretty much every holiday off.

Beats my 10 days (no sick) vacation
Teachers in all settings do get more holidays that other workers, but I do not get summers off. I work in a school with trimesters, with breaks in between. I have just had two weeks between spring and summer. I don't know you guys survive on so few days off. I'd much rather have holidays than $100,000 a year. I am serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston