U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:58 AM

5,342 posts, read 8,989,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
32% of Houston electricity comes from wind power!
^The largest municipal purchaser of "green" energy in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Don't forget............zero character
^Please. You must have never been in inner loop Houston. Don't try to tell me that Montrose/Museum District, the Heights, River Oaks, and the ward neighborhoods don't have character. Of course, flying into the airport, zooming through on a freeway, or only going to the touristy places like NASA or Kemah or a ballpark, you won't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 12:08 PM

16 posts, read 2,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't see Houston going through the same thing as Chicago did due to it's location. NYC and LA have remained stagnent and I believe it's due to their locations on the coast.

Location? How about the fact that NYC is 400 years old, has the density of 27,000 ppls pers sq mile as opposed to Houstons's 4,000 ppl/sq mile and is located in the most densely populated are of the country with no room to spread out? Considering NYC's density it is suprising to see that the city still grows...

Now, for a Houstonian calling New York stagnant: that's a big joke

Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 PM

16 posts, read 2,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Anyways, Chicago's fine as long as it's staying constant and not dipping, .
As far as I know Chicago has been losing population since the 60's... I believ it may show some growth in recent years as a lot of people who left the city for better climates and greener pastures are coming back searching for jobs but Chicago in general can't really talk about growth as it has not only been outgrown by LA but can't show any population growth since 1960.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:13 PM

5,247 posts, read 8,175,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Huh. Chicago is at a great location in the US. It's the transportation hub of the US since it's in the middle of the country. Chicago didn't fall off because of location. It was because of cost of living (even though it's not that high), unfriendly business, and taxes. Chicago is slowly but surely starting to regain some momentum. It has the potential. And LA isn't stagnate at all. Neither is NYC.
Chicago (and Northern cities in general) had a built-in advantage over Southern cities until about 50 years ago: Tolerable summers. Until the wide-spread use of A/C, productivity in the South during the hot and humid summers went down dramatically. The lack of A/C inhibited the growth of the South, but obviously that's not an issue any more.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strivingnow View Post
As far as I know Chicago has been losing population since the 80's...
Between 1990 and 2000, Chicago had a (small) increase in population. We'll have to wait until the current census results are reported to see if that trend has continued or not.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:31 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,973,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivingnow View Post
As far as I know Chicago has been losing population since the 60's... I believ it may show some growth in recent years as a lot of people who left the city for better climates and greener pastures are coming back searching for jobs but Chicago in general can't really talk about growth as it has not only been outgrown by LA but can't show any population growth since 1960.
Estimates put Chicago into another decade of population loss.

The metropolitan area has gained though, 5%+ isn't really bad news at all.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Estimates put Chicago into another decade of population loss.

The metropolitan area has gained though, 5%+ isn't really bad news at all.
Estimates can be wrong. The annual estimates before the 2000 enumeration predicted a loss while the actual enumeration showed a small gain. This decade, again, the annual estimates show a loss. We'll have to wait till the 2010 enumeration results are in to know for sure.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Estimates can be wrong. The annual estimates before the 2000 enumeration predicted a loss while the actual enumeration showed a small gain. This decade, again, the annual estimates show a loss. We'll have to wait till the 2010 enumeration results are in to know for sure.
Basically the day of truth, some day in June 2011. When the official census numbers come out.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:20 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,716,307 times
I know it sounds crazy about the whole location thing affecting Chicago's growth; However, I feel cities near the coast become more successful and prominent.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:44 PM

NYC- Atlantic Coast, chief of trade regulations with Europe, Africa, and Atlantic Islands (Greenland, Ireland, UK, Iceland, etc...)

LA- Pacific Coast, chief of trade regulations with Asia, Australia/Oceania, Pacific Islands of Mircronesia, Polynesia, Melanesia, all Pacific Islands.

Chicago- Great Lakes and Canada, Chief of domestic trade- look up on the cross roads of interstates Chicago's got plenty, water shipments with Canada, and other states nearby. Flight's are ideal since it's nearly in the center of the country, not looking far to East nor far to West (especially far to west).

Houston- Latin America (Caribbean, South America, Central America, and Mexico), Chief in trade with Latin American countries. 2nd largest port in USA and growing in importance.

I know that Chicago's location limits it to foreign trade like the other three, but Canada wise Chicago is ideal for shipments (even though Detroit is better, but Chicago's port is better), and as far as airports go, it doesn't necessarily get better than O'Hare as far as location goes, and that has a lot to do with trade and development of the city. And being the third largest inter-model port in the world (after Singapore and Hong Kong) really helps.

But yes, compared to the other three, it has a weakness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston