U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-24-2011, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,156 posts, read 13,725,389 times
Reputation: 4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Maybe East LA or El Barrio. I never went to that area. LA is a lot more interesting and exciting than Houston.
Yes but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of LA's Latino population is Mexican. Just like Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2011, 10:33 PM
 
1,791 posts, read 1,764,398 times
Reputation: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of LA's Latino population is Mexican. Just like Houston.
Yes, that is true, but it also seems offset to a visitor by the fact that in LA, you have more South Americans, leading for a greater Hispanic diversity, and South Americans typically in terms of style and ethnic descent are typically closer to Europeans, making them appear more American. Of course, there are exceptions to this. I've noticed on city-data, that's a big point of contention - leaving out the possibility of exceptions all of sudden makes your point invalid.

The Hispanics (regardless of country) in LA seemed more assimilated, I had gotten the impression too many in Houston were still holding onto the old country.

This could have alot to do with LA being a major fashion city.

Last edited by RonnieJonez; 02-24-2011 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Tower of Heaven
4,023 posts, read 3,888,712 times
Reputation: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Yes, that is true, but it also seems offset to a visitor by the fact that in LA, you have more South Americans, leading for a greater Hispanic diversity, and South Americans typically in terms of style and ethnic descent are typically closer to Europeans, making them appear more American. Of course, there are exceptions to this. I've noticed on city-data, that's a big point of contention - leaving out the possibility of exceptions all of sudden makes your point invalid.

The Hispanics (regardless of country) in LA seemed more assimilated, I had gotten the impression too many in Houston were still holding onto the old country.

This could have alot to do with LA being a major fashion city.
No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10,501 posts, read 7,752,465 times
Reputation: 4790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
As a young person I am always seeking potential cities when I am out of school so I have a few questions for people who think Houston is "model city":

How is Houston for public transportation? Biking especially?

What are the attitudes of the people? Texas gets a lot of flak for being ultra religious conservative. I am not Christian so I am hoping this does not adversely affect me. I am attracted to progressive, but not bleeding heart liberal, cities and I am pretty iffy on Houston. Can people clarify some of the finer details of the city, please.

Also, IT (specifically Telecommunications) is my job target field.
I live in Houston and recently moved there for school. If you ride the bus, this is one of the best systems I've seen, the buses run everywhere and I've seem them as early as 4:30-5a.m. If you like to ride a light rail, the system in Houston is relatively new and I just learned of the system getting a few new lines. What schools are you looking at and where do you plan to live? This isn't country Texas, its just like any other major city in the country, no one will throw bibles at you as you walk by, I hate that stereotype. There's over 5 million here, I've seen all different types of people.
Overall, I like Houston but I wouldn't make it my permanent home unless I was to get a GREAT job. You won't really get bored, there are concerts and comedy shows every weekend, and plenty of other "things" to do that I probably can't name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 04:46 PM
 
1,791 posts, read 1,764,398 times
Reputation: 756
Houston is country Texas in a big city...or might as well be across the border. Galleria being the exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,832 posts, read 18,578,013 times
Reputation: 6643
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Houston is country Texas in a big city...or might as well be across the border. Galleria being the exception.
We're country texas, but belong in mexico???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
4,749 posts, read 2,887,719 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
We're country texas, but belong in mexico???
Maybe he doesn't realize Gilley's burned down years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 09:51 PM
 
1,791 posts, read 1,764,398 times
Reputation: 756
Not literally. I noticed an either "country" or exclusively "mexican" vibe there. The Galleria was an exception - I really liked that area.

From what I heard, a lot of locals don't even like the Galleria because it doesn't represent what most of Texas is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,832 posts, read 18,578,013 times
Reputation: 6643
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Not literally. I noticed an either "country" or exclusively "mexican" vibe there. The Galleria was an exception - I really liked that area.

From what I heard, a lot of locals don't even like the Galleria because it doesn't represent what most of Texas is like.
I don't know where you get your information from but it's very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Miami
409 posts, read 369,978 times
Reputation: 204
I have a question and I don't know how to phrase it without sounding wrong, but do you have to be bilingual there to qualify for most of the (clerical) jobs?

I live in Miami and have been looking to move to place with cheaper rents, and I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire in terms of having to be bilingual (I am an accounting clerk).

My concern is only from an employment standpoint - I don't care for any other reason....

I know Houston has some really low rents in fairly decent areas, I have researched it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top