Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 PM

377 posts, read 1,345,666 times

Advertisements

We have Bermuda Grass on our yard lawn but unfortunately it has lots of weeds. I was searching for a weed control product for Bermuda grass for a long time but was not at all succesfull. Actually, I am intrested in weed control only but everywhere I see 'Weed and Feed' and allmost all of them has 'St. augustine' written on it. Finally, home depot guy told me Vigoro's yellow bags are exclusively for Bermuda grass - (but the word Bermuda is not written anywhere on the pack) - and I bought it and applied it. As I feared, it appears only the FEED part worked because the grass grew fast but the weeds grew much faster than that.

One of my n'bor used some liquid weed control and in 3 days his grass were completely yellowed and gone. So, I am scared!!

If anyone has any tips on a weed control product for Bermuda grass , please share.

Last edited by wheretogo; 05-26-2010 at 10:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:33 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Ortho Weed B Gone Max

Old 05-27-2010, 05:02 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Liquid chemicals...

Use the liquid chemicals, they are more precise and target the weeds than do granular herbicides. The best one I've used is Image. It is not cheap, but nothing beats it in my opinion, and the manufacturer knows this, hence the high price. This is what professionals use on turf grasses (for home). I have Paspalum grass, which looks like Bermuda, and this is what I use. Image is also the best to knockout nutsedge, most others do not.

Call Southwest Fertilizer, they will give you an answer. If that fails, call the Garden Line, or email them, you can get their address form KTRH's WEB site.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 05-27-2010 at 05:12 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 06:42 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Go to Randy Lemmon's website, there's everything you need to know about lawns, basically. Go to the site, then look at the menu under "Randy's Tips" on the lower left side.

www.randylemmon.com

Good luck! I've always had good results using Randy's tips.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 05-27-2010, 10:28 AM

460 posts, read 2,426,822 times
Instead of buying something that has the name of a particular grass on the bag, become a label reader. Find out if you're buying an Atrazine based product, or something else (Atrazine is in such high use that we're starting to see effects in the food chain). Get advice on the right herbicide for your particular type of weed, and apply it at the right dosage. Someone mentioned liquid herbicides. I agree. Use a 1-2 gal hand sprayer so you only apply it where needed. "safe" herbicides, applied too strong or without subsequent watering (if needed), can kill good grass. Some types of weeds can't be selectively controlled. For example, almost nothing, including Image, will take out Virginia Buttonweed without also killing the associated good grass. Don't let Buttonweed get established or you'll need to nuke the whole yard and start over (been there, done that - spent many years fighting Buttonweed in a house we bought and I should have just sterilized everything and ordered sod). You basically need to use Round-Up (or equivalent), then plug/sod the dead spot.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
The key is to fertalize both in the fall and in the spring.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:34 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Ortho Weed B Gone Max
When I had a bermudagrass lawn, this is what I had the most success with killing weeds. Hook it up to the hose and make a couple of sweeps over each area of your lawn. Within a week or two those weeds start wilting away and die. The "weed 'n feed" granular type stuff never really did the job killing weeds for me.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:59 AM

69 posts, read 303,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Ortho Weed B Gone Max
My backyard(bermuda) also has a lot of weed. I tried scott, vagro those not work. After I saw you post, I put Ortho Weed B Gone Max about two weeks age. This one also not work.

Here I post a picture of the weed. How to kill this kind of weed?
Attached Thumbnails
Weed control for Bermuda Grass lawn ?-20100808_001.jpg  

Old 08-08-2010, 12:58 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default 'Looks like crabgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelies View Post
My backyard(bermuda) also has a lot of weed. I tried scott, vagro those not work. After I saw you post, I put Ortho Weed B Gone Max about two weeks age. This one also not work.

Here I post a picture of the weed. How to kill this kind of weed?
It looks like crabgrass. Look for the Image product (http://www.amdro.com/image/index.html - broken link) that you can apply in summer. Be careful, summer is not a time to be treating weeds in general, you can kill your lawn. The best time is around spring, or close to Fall.

Also, you can prevent up to 90% of these weeds by putting down a pre-emergent herbicide at the proper time. Since Spring is gone, the next time is coming up, so the middle of September, put some down to kill the next cycle of weeds that start to grow about that time. Next year, in the middle of March, do the same thing.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:56 PM

460 posts, read 2,426,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
...Also, you can prevent up to 90% of these weeds by putting down a pre-emergent herbicide...
Absolutely correct. The easiest way to control pesky weeks is in the germination cycle, with pre-emergent products. It's not the fastest, and does little/no good this late in the year. But if you start now, AND do it next Spring, you'll drastically cut down on the weeds.

Topical/surface treatment in this weather will damage the good grass if you apply enough to kill the crabgrass, unless you lovingly apply Round-Up to each individual blade of crabgrass.

Another excellent week control technique that few people do and which costs you nothing: CUT YOUR GRASS HIGHER. Don't scalp the yard. Set your mower on the HIGHEST setting. This shades out most weeds, and those that persist have to grow UP, not out, to get light. Makes them easy to see and pull or dig up. And your yard will look better too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: