Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,159,666 times

Advertisements

Socio-economics and self-discipline

People who can secure a decent job tend to be able to limit their daily intake to ~2K cal/day and are trim despite no exercise, driving everywhere and working in front of computer screens all day

Visit SF and can see all manner of obese Chinese who have low-income jobs in Chinese sweatshops/diners....or who have $100K+/yr, skill-free "jobs" as SF bus drivers or city clerks

Actually, far more impressed by hotties in Houston or Dallas than those of Manhattan...smelly, sweaty NYC mass transit and rathole apts w/o HVAC mean even Manhattan hotties smell bad (and the outer boroughs have plenty of obesity and nasty accents/smells, like poor places anywhere)

Car culture, garages and modern air conditioning improve smells of any city's folks...and are generally associated w/less obesity and smells than primitive mass transit towns w/limited air cond

Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Completely anecdotal. When I moved to Houston 19 years ago, I gained a few dozen pounds. I figured it was age and laziness. But when I moved back to the Northeast a year ago within a few months I dropped the few dozen pounds. Not changing anything I did or ate. I think you naturally burn more calories in cold weather. Maybe generating body heat?
I'm not fat, nor did i gain weight when i moved here from Colorado. I still have my 24 hour fitness membership. I'm still fine as hell! , so your post sounds ridiculous. How does you generating more body heat compare with sweating off pounds? I think there's either a habit you changed and something you're not telling us, or you're just flat out making up stuff. Congratulations on your weight loss nonetheless.

No offense to the O/P, but why are we talking about 5 and 7 year old data? I'm more of a "glass is half full" type of person. Houston went from #1 Fattest City to I believe #7 within 5 years. Can't we focus on the improvements that have been made rather than rehashing old stuff?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:07 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
USATODAY.com - Houston again tops fattest city list

America's Fittest and Fattest Cities - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News - FOXNews.com

Top 25 fittest and fattest cities in the U.S. - Healthy Living on Shine

What is it with Houston that gets researcher's attention when it comes to fatness? Is there some local traditions or trends that make people gain wait?

I lived in Houston for a while and I remember having really good meals. Not that I dont have good meals in other cities I have lived but there was something about my busy work day that made me feel I just HAD to eat right. It was as if my busy day was compensated by having a really good meal. I loved the that restaurant called Fat Farmer. All meals were super sized. Instant happiness.
That's strange.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:31 AM

192 posts, read 504,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Completely anecdotal. When I moved to Houston 19 years ago, I gained a few dozen pounds. I figured it was age and laziness. But when I moved back to the Northeast a year ago within a few months I dropped the few dozen pounds. Not changing anything I did or ate. I think you naturally burn more calories in cold weather. Maybe generating body heat?
As a complete contrast, I lost 30 pounds after moving from Connecticut to Texas. I think the cold kept me cooped inside too often, and I felt significantly more energetic in the sunny climate down South.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:35 AM

192 posts, read 504,654 times
Plus - Texas can't help that its food is delicious.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:47 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato head8 View Post
Plus - Texas can't help that its food is delicious.
True story!

Tex-Mex? Yes please. BBQ? Don't mind if I do! Giant steak? Sure, one wouldn't hurt. More Fajitas? Who'd say no to that!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:56 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Car culture....generally associated w/less obesity
What are you using to lace that stuff you're smoking? I should try it.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:52 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato head8 View Post
As a complete contrast, I lost 30 pounds after moving from Connecticut to Texas. I think the cold kept me cooped inside too often, and I felt significantly more energetic in the sunny climate down South.
That makes sense to me. I rarely if ever worked out in the winter time when i was in Colorado. The cold made me not want to do anything except try to stay warm, which involved not moving much. Also add to the effect the cold has on your joints, blood, etc. Also warming up your car everytime you wanted to go somewhere was no fun either.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:41 PM

497 posts, read 1,484,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Houston has such a miserable climate, and the environment is so unhealthy that people seek out food as a way to get pleasure instead of nutrition. Carrying excess fat is a way to cut yourself off from unpleasant emotions.
Compared to what - Honolulu? I do believe you need to get out more...

Old 05-30-2010, 06:12 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,994,936 times
Too many WIC dependent fatsos from Louisiana and east Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston