Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 12:53 PM

10 posts, read 15,094 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I finished up my undergrad at Penn State this past December (B.A. History, B.A. Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies), and I'm off to UH to begin work on my M.A. I've been checking out places to live -- I'll be moving in August -- and the options I have are live on campus and spend a whoooole lot of money for not very much, or have something I'd be able to easily afford...an hour away. I don't know anyone in my new destination, but I was hoping I'd be able to find a roommate that would help cut down on costs and such. I'd like to stay as close to downtown/UH as possible, and from what I'm seeing Midtown/Montrose/Museum district, etc. seems to be the way to go. I know the area around UH isn't the best, but I'm originally from NJ (right outside of NYC, and NOT in a good part of the burbs by any means), and from what I'm seeing, there really isn't much to worry about around there as long as you keep your head straight and have some good street smarts. Being from outside of NYC and moving to the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania for my undergrad has made me a little homesick for the hustle and bustle of the city; plus I'm a huge Astros fan (as much as they suck this year), so I'd be looking to head to a bunch of games, and not have to drive 40 minutes to get there.

A little about me, besides the aforementioned: I'm a very easygoing and laid back guy; I don't let a whole lot get to me. My lifestyle is very balanced, in that I'll be spending a LOT of time on campus, studying, researching, writing, reading, etc. for my thesis, but I do like to go out and have a good time (Penn State was 2009's top party school, and was in the top 5 every year I attended), but I'm not overly obnoxious when I do. Music is a VERY big part in my life. I have a library of over 500 gigs of music, I've been a drummer for almost ten years, and I dabble on guitar, bass, and keyboard. I've been in bands all my life, I write a lot of music, and I've spent the last few years as the program director for the Metal show at the local radio station.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of who I am and what I'm looking for. Again, I'm very laid back and down to earth, so guy or gal, straight or gay or otherwise; doesn't matter to me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 01:09 PM

192 posts, read 503,615 times
Unfortunately, I don't need a roommate, but I believe I remember a few people here looking for a place to live in a similar area. Madmartigan, perhaps? He/she's also about to attend UH.

Anyways, I've really just been itching to post a link somewhere, and although Metal isn't the same as Noise, this place is about as good as any.

Houston Noise

Btw, Welcome to Houston!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,564 times
I am a 23 year old female, relocating to Houston in August. Like you, I am a recent graduate of a party school (University of Delaware) who is originally from Jersey (central NJ, like New Bruns/Princeton area). I'm going to Houston for AmeriCorps and I'm waiting to find out more information from the program, but I'm pretty sure we're encouraged to live with other AmeriCorps volunteers.. But if not, I will definitely be looking for a shared living situation. I am also the most interested in Montrose/the other areas you listed.. I'll only be making a very small monthly living stipend while serving with AmeriCorps so my options will probably be far more limited in terms of where I can afford to live. I will be checking back on this forum as I find out more info from AmeriCorps.. Good luck to both of us in our cross country relocation endeavors! -Caitlin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: