Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 07:13 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,361 times

Advertisements

I like in a 3200 sq feet house in Houston. Houston is hot no question about it but I have no complains. Anyway! Since my house is two story what is a good temperature to set. I mean if the downstairs is 78F then should I set the upstairs also at 78F?

Also, how much a new unit cost?

Also, any tips you have to save on electricity when using AC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:17 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
It depends on your comfort level at what temperatures you should set your house.
I set mine at 78 and that's fine for me, others have theirs at 74. Free country.

My tips to save utilities expenses.
I purchased a programmable thermalstat. Easy to install and pretty cheap like $30-40.
Depends on your layout of the house and if you have anyone home at work.

Set it automatically higher like 80 degrees when no one is home for both floors and have it automatically go back down 30 minutes before anyone gets home.

Also if your bedrooms are in one floor stay all up stairs, set down stairs higher after bed time. No need to cool rooms no one is at.

A few tips I do. Obviously turn it up when no one is home on weekends by 1 degree.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 AM

460 posts, read 2,427,550 times
If no one is home for an extended period of time, e.g. 4-8 hours, turn the A/C OFF if you can (i.e. no pets or delicate plants). It's an urband legend that this is more expensive than just turning the A/C UP. People who believe that haven't taken basic science classes or don't understand simple heat transfer. Years ago, while single and living in an off-base apartment during my years in the service, I wasn't pleased with my electric bill during the hot, humid summer. I tried an experiement and after just turning the A/C up for a few months, I turned it OFF. It took a little extra time to cool the apt when I got home, but my bill dropped dramatically. So if you can turn the A/C OFF even to just the upstairs, you'll be saving money.

The electronic thermostat is a great idea. If you can get one that allows you to reprogram a TEMPORARY new temperature, for a set period, e.g. 2 hours, this allows you to add extra cool (or heat) for a short period without worrying you'll forget to reset the temp back to the desired setting.

If you have an older house, you should seriously consider getting an energy audit that checks for leaks and proper insulation. Don't have the insulation company do this. Check Angie's list for reputable auditors.

If you have ceiling fans, use them. Moving air feels much cooler than stagnant air. I also use a de-humidifier during parts of the year, esp early and late in the season when the temperature isn't that high but the humidity has started to crank up. Moist air feels warmer than dry air.

FWIW, I set my temp at 80 degrees in the living areas, and 82 in the areas of the house we don't occupy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: