Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 04:50 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,764,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
None of the Texas cities are ugly. But it's true nearly all of them have nothing that stands out and gives people a "WOW" factor like the mass of buildings in NYC, the mountains in LA, the Bay of San Francisco, the beaches of Miami, the lake front of Chicago.

I honestly don't see what the hell Boston has going for it compared to the other cities (I have been and was not impressed), but hey, if they voted it as a pretty city then I guess I'd be wrong to say otherwise. Lol.

I am sure the cities in Texas will change. I mean they're giving hints already.

Like the Buffalo Bayou project in Houston (despite is running slowly) is a start.
Hey, don't forget the Trinity River Project in Dallas.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:52 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Hey, don't forget the Trinity River Project in Dallas.
I never did, but I just didn't mention it because it's the Houston forum lol, and thought giving examples of Houston would work better here in this forum.

But yeah, they're both great projects. I'm sure the two cities will cook up even better ones this decade. It looks promising!

Old 06-02-2010, 05:10 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,764,232 times
Quote:
I never did, but I just didn't mention it because it's the Houston forum lol, and thought giving examples of Houston would work better here in this forum.

But yeah, they're both great projects. I'm sure the two cities will cook up even better ones this decade. It looks promising!
I forgot this was on the Houston forum.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:28 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Houston had a huge missed opportunity with how it allowed (and maybe still allows) developers to cut down every last tree in sight. Houston is really the only major city in the state with the tall pine trees, which would make it unique, except there seems to be no protections on developers cutting them all down to make room for concrete. This may be more of a problem in unincorporated areas (with the exception of planned communities) than in the city, I don't know.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
None of the Texas cities are ugly. But it's true nearly all of them have nothing that stands out and gives people a "WOW" factor like the mass of buildings in NYC, the mountains in LA, the Bay of San Francisco, the beaches of Miami, the lake front of Chicago.

I honestly don't see what the hell Boston has going for it compared to the other cities (I have been and was not impressed), but hey, if they voted it as a pretty city then I guess I'd be wrong to say otherwise. Lol.

I am sure the cities in Texas will change. I mean they're giving hints already.

Like the Buffalo Bayou project in Houston (despite is running slowly) is a start.
Why do you think Houston can get to make it a "WOW" factor or to give people the perception that Houston isn't ugly?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Why do you think Houston can get to make it a "WOW" factor or to give people the perception that Houston isn't ugly?
Beautification of the highways and major roads would go a long way. Removal of billboards, and tree-planting. Some of this is already happening, but it's slow. And putting more restrictions on business signage and on developers cutting down existing trees.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 PM

Why is Texas slow about fixing Houston's roads?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:
Currently Houston has other problems, about the budget for example.Spending has been reduced !

Old 06-02-2010, 05:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Houston had a huge missed opportunity with how it allowed (and maybe still allows) developers to cut down every last tree in sight. Houston is really the only major city in the state with the tall pine trees, which would make it unique, except there seems to be no protections on developers cutting them all down to make room for concrete. This may be more of a problem in unincorporated areas (with the exception of planned communities) than in the city, I don't know.
Depends on where you are. The western side around I-10 is very wooded (from 610 to Highway 6). The big problems with the clear cutting are in areas like Spring, where developers just clear cut everything. At least in a place like The Woodlands, there are stricter codes.

Quote:
What do you mean fixing? Like reconstruction or beautification? If you mean the latter, then there are plenty of those projects around the city.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Currently Houston has other problems, about the budget for example.Spending has been reduced !
That's quite sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston