Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,735 times

Advertisements

Looking to possibly move to Houston.
Not familiar with the area. If anyone can give me any info on apartments, and colleges, that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:07 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,159 times
Need some more background information.

How old are you? What are you looking for in terms or entertainment, amenities? Kids? No? Married? No?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Need some more background information.

How old are you? What are you looking for in terms or entertainment, amenities? Kids? No? Married? No?
19 No Kids. Significant Other. amenities don't really matter. Kinda sort of in the aspect that we have to relocate so school is top priority and you know safe neighborhoods.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:13 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
19 No Kids. Significant Other. amenities don't really matter. Kinda sort of in the aspect that we have to relocate so school is top priority and you know safe neighborhoods.
Rice University- 17th overall best school in the country
University of Houston- The largest university in Houston by terms of enrollment and 4th largest in the state.
Houston Baptist University- Private school, specializes in nursing and pharmacy

Those are the three largest universities here, tell me which one you're most interested in.

College Search - University of Houston - Deadlines

Look up the schools on collegeboard.com (the link I provided above) it will give you all the basic ideas.

Let me know after researching the schools on that site for a bit which one you're most fond of. Then I'll help you out with housing and such.

Are you coming alone?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:27 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
Quote:
There are 6 different universities, some with multiple campuses, and thousands of apartments. You need to be more specific as to your goals, budget, preferences, etc.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:19 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,562 times
Quote:
Looking to possibly move to Houston.
Not familiar with the area. If anyone can give me any info on apartments, and colleges, that would be great.
As we have said so often to so many on here, transportation here is one of the big lifestyle factors. If you have a job, you will most likely want to be as close to it as is reasonable for your lifestyle/desires. Living in Katy and driving to work in Clear Lake City is not a good plan.

If you don't have a job, understand that, while we're better off than most other places, the recession lives here, too. There appear to be plenty of fast food jobs, and certain sectors are booming; others, however, are laying off like everywhere else. Consider carefully.

The other posters didn't mention Harris Community College, which is one of the largest community colleges in the US. That's a pretty big swing, HCC to Rice U, with UofH in between.

Young singles are generally clustered near downtown. Young gays are generally in Montrose. Young childless couples also near downtown. Young families in the many burbs surrounding the city. Middle aged and old folks in the near "burbs" and in condos. Rich folks in River Oaks, West U, Memorial, Bellaire; poor folks in the 5th Ward, Kashmere Gardens, generally east. All races everywhere. Jobs spread out everywhere, from the Central Business District ("downtown") to the Galleria Area ("Uptown"), which is bigger than downtown Denver, to the Energy Corridor (west), home of oil companies. Texas Medical Center is the largest cluster of medical facilities, staff in the world. Port of Houston is southeast of downtown, 2nd largest port in US. Manufacturing all over, but generally more east of downtown. Oil refineries southeast and along the coastline. NASA is in Clear Lake City.

There, that should get you started.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 AM

882 posts, read 2,245,651 times
1. Whats your budget for an apartment?
2. Probably check out Houston Community College and the University of Houston-Downtown.
HCC Houston Community College - District Home
Welcome to the University of Houston-Downtown!
3. Will you have a job, if you already have one in place, where?
4. Make sure you have a car.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Rice University- 17th overall best school in the country
University of Houston- The largest university in Houston by terms of enrollment and 4th largest in the state.
Houston Baptist University- Private school, specializes in nursing and pharmacy

Those are the three largest universities here, tell me which one you're most interested in.

College Search - University of Houston - Deadlines

Look up the schools on collegeboard.com (the link I provided above) it will give you all the basic ideas.

Let me know after researching the schools on that site for a bit which one you're most fond of. Then I'll help you out with housing and such.

Are you coming alone?
No it will be me and my friend. When we get done here in Orlando we will be looking to go to Houston as one of our choices as well as Tampa and since we wont be able to make a trip this year, I wanted to get info on where to look and what to look for when we go early next year. I thank you for the list of schools. I will continue to research those as this is a process.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
As we have said so often to so many on here, transportation here is one of the big lifestyle factors. If you have a job, you will most likely want to be as close to it as is reasonable for your lifestyle/desires. Living in Katy and driving to work in Clear Lake City is not a good plan.

If you don't have a job, understand that, while we're better off than most other places, the recession lives here, too. There appear to be plenty of fast food jobs, and certain sectors are booming; others, however, are laying off like everywhere else. Consider carefully.

The other posters didn't mention Harris Community College, which is one of the largest community colleges in the US. That's a pretty big swing, HCC to Rice U, with UofH in between.

Young singles are generally clustered near downtown. Young gays are generally in Montrose. Young childless couples also near downtown. Young families in the many burbs surrounding the city. Middle aged and old folks in the near "burbs" and in condos. Rich folks in River Oaks, West U, Memorial, Bellaire; poor folks in the 5th Ward, Kashmere Gardens, generally east. All races everywhere. Jobs spread out everywhere, from the Central Business District ("downtown") to the Galleria Area ("Uptown"), which is bigger than downtown Denver, to the Energy Corridor (west), home of oil companies. Texas Medical Center is the largest cluster of medical facilities, staff in the world. Port of Houston is southeast of downtown, 2nd largest port in US. Manufacturing all over, but generally more east of downtown. Oil refineries southeast and along the coastline. NASA is in Clear Lake City.

There, that should get you started.
great information. I appreciate it. This is what I needed so when we do go we will be able to pinpoint the exact interest in areas we want to stay in. I will look further into it. and Coastline? Houston is that close to the coasT?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
1. Whats your budget for an apartment?
2. Probably check out Houston Community College and the University of Houston-Downtown.
HCC Houston Community College - District Home
Welcome to the University of Houston-Downtown!
3. Will you have a job, if you already have one in place, where?
4. Make sure you have a car.
I appreciate . Why must a car be necessary? just curious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston