U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:00 PM

316 posts, read 449,125 times
OK....OK......... I guess Raleigh not the most progressive city ...but Chapel Hills a pretty awesome place!!

http://thecompanymarketing.com/transportation/best-cities-for-technology-jobs-7-high-tech-cities/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,910,041 times
Hahaha! I don't really think you could sell me, or most East Coasters on NoVa or Denver either.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,405,653 times
Pros

1) Tex-Mex, BBQ, Steaks -- you won't find a better local cuisine anywhere!

2) Great cost of living. Good wages, cheap rent/homes, no state income tax

3) The museum district. I've got a 2 year old daughter, and you can't believe how nice it is to have the Children's Museum, the Houston Zoo, and Hermann Park all within a few blocks of each other -- you can easily spend all day there.

4) Culture. Texas definitely has a special culture -- whether you like it or not is up to you. I personally love how they think Texas is the "Best Country on Earth", that the death penalty should be used and used often, that Uncle Sam should stay out of our lives (and our pockets), and that religion should play an important role in our society. All of these are generalizations of course, but the general flavor of the city is much more conservative than any other place I've lived.

5) The people. I guess this ties in with the previous one a bit, but I love the people here. Great, diverse group.

Cons

1) Summers are pretty bad

2) Traffic is bad -- although I wouldn't say it's worse than any comparably-sized cities

3) Very car dependent -- mass transit is practically non-existent.

4) Flat -- forget about the mountains, you won't find them here.

5) Downtown -- they've been doing a good job of improving it over the past couple of years, but the downtown area pretty much sucks.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:07 PM

11,312 posts, read 17,002,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
OK....OK......... I guess Raleigh not the most progressive city ...but Chapel Hills a pretty awesome place!!

http://thecompanymarketing.com/transportation/best-cities-for-technology-jobs-7-high-tech-cities/
OK, then we're just comparing a college town to a major metropolis.

Raleigh is actually much like what Austin would be if you cut out Sixth Street, the UT campus and the Drag, picked it up and moved it to, say, Wimberley. And that would be the equivalent of Chapel Hill.

I was wondering what the definition of "hip" was anyway. Turns out it wasn't guys wearing Ed Hardy shirts but tech jobs. Now I follow. I think.

What sucks so much about Downtown Houston? I see sports, theater, concerts, bars, clubs - OK, yeah, there's nothing to do. I give up.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM

And you know what, I've got my one "CON" right here. I don't need five because this is the only one that really irks me:

We have people who would rather complain instead of actually participating in making anything better.

These people would rather have a scene made for them than make it themselves. It's a lazy-ass approach if there ever was one.

"Here we are now, entertain us."

The problem isn't the city. It's these people.

...other than that, bah, whatever. The weather hasn't managed to kill me yet. And I'd never pull off a stunt like walking six miles in a single bound taking photos if I had mountains or hills to climb.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 PM

316 posts, read 449,125 times
Quote:
These people would rather have a scene made for them than make it themselves. It's a lazy-ass approach if there ever was one
......................................What sucks so much about Downtown Houston? I see sports, theater, concerts, bars, clubs - OK, yeah, there's nothing to do. I give up.

Interesting take I guess.. Downtown Houston huh?. you think that the Downtown area is a interesting place.."DOWNTOWN HOUSTON?"- How so...and not the office buildings where individuals go to work M-F from 8-5pm to earn a living, but comparing Downtown Houston to other Major cities & their Downtown areas -

There are other U.S. cities that have some pretty great history & culture, going back to well over a century ago - Cities with interesting & unique architecture, their unique city grids & infrastructure - If you were to compare Houston to say NYC or San Francisco - Seattle - Boston - D.C. - or Chicago's North Side - How do you think Houston would compare to the them? -- Do you think Downtown Houston's current infrastructure, music & entertainment options, sports teams, current public transportation, overall culture, financial district, scenery and attractions is equal or better to the cities mentioned ..Maybe you should put on that old Ed Hardy gear and get out to cities other than Houston to get a true appreciation and perspective for what they may or may not have to offer -

I think it's great that everyone has their own opinions and feelings on what the pro's and con's of this city -- I think 5 cons is probably shorting the list by a few - but overall Houston even with it's many flaws, has got it's own unique charm....

Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 PM

10,176 posts, read 10,120,523 times
That's great that most of you said that there's a lot to do in Houston. I would love to live there.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
......................................What sucks so much about Downtown Houston? I see sports, theater, concerts, bars, clubs - OK, yeah, there's nothing to do. I give up.

Interesting take I guess.. Downtown Houston huh?. you think that the Downtown area is a interesting place.."DOWNTOWN HOUSTON?"- How so...and not the office buildings where individuals go to work M-F from 8-5pm to earn a living, but comparing Downtown Houston to other Major cities & their Downtown areas -

There are other U.S. cities that have some pretty great history & culture, going back to well over a century ago - Cities with interesting & unique architecture, their unique city grids & infrastructure - If you were to compare Houston to say NYC or San Francisco - Seattle - Boston - D.C. - or Chicago's North Side - How do you think Houston would compare to the them? -- Do you think Downtown Houston's current infrastructure, music & entertainment options, sports teams, current public transportation, overall culture, financial district, scenery and attractions is equal or better to the cities mentioned ..Maybe you should put on that old Ed Hardy gear and get out to cities other than Houston to get a true appreciation and perspective for what they may or may not have to offer -
You see, that's where we're on a different wavelength here - you are looking at it as a comparison between Houston and other cities. Unless I slept through it, I thought this was strictly on the merits/demerits of Houston itself regardless

We can go into comparisons all day. Compared to Europe, there's next to no history or culture in America at all. Compared, say, to China or Ancient Egype, there's next to no history in Europe. And then there are rocks in the ground older than it all. What have we accomplished in saying any of that? Not a damn thing.

Downtown Houston is not the end-all, be-all of all things entertainment worldwide. But if you live here, which apparently you do, there are things to do there. You're not in Los Angeles, you're not in San Francisco, and neither am I. So what's there does nobody who's in Houston any bit of good.

So then, as far as classic architecture...

Nope.

Nah.

You're right, we don't have anything a century old. I think that "1892" is an address or something.

Anyway, I don't know if I need to get into an argument with a guy who thinks that Seattle or San Francisco have significantly more history than Houston when both were located in places that were frontier country 200 years ago.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 PM

734 posts, read 441,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You see, that's where we're on a different wavelength here - you are looking at it as a comparison between Houston and other cities. Unless I slept through it, I thought this was strictly on the merits/demerits of Houston itself regardless

We can go into comparisons all day. Compared to Europe, there's next to no history or culture in America at all. Compared, say, to China or Ancient Egype, there's next to no history in Europe. And then there are rocks in the ground older than it all. What have we accomplished in saying any of that? Not a damn thing.

Downtown Houston is not the end-all, be-all of all things entertainment worldwide. But if you live here, which apparently you do, there are things to do there. You're not in Los Angeles, you're not in San Francisco, and neither am I. So what's there does nobody who's in Houston any bit of good.

So then, as far as classic architecture...

Nope.

Nah.

You're right, we don't have anything a century old. I think that "1892" is an address or something.

Anyway, I don't know if I need to get into an argument with a guy who thinks that Seattle or San Francisco have significantly more history than Houston when both were located in places that were frontier country 200 years ago.
Well, although that guy has no idea what he's saying... you must admit alot of historic sites and architecture in Houston have been torn down and there are new shopping malls/strip malls, instead of preserving the older buildings. Those pictures only depict a small percentage of Houston.

Whereas San Francisco has alot of the same type of houses and buildings that were built a very long time ago(not sure about Seattle).

Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 PM

7,131 posts, read 7,436,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Well, although that guy has no idea what he's saying... you must admit alot of historic sites and architecture in Houston have been torn down and there are new shopping malls/strip malls, instead of preserving the older buildings. Those pictures only depict a small percentage of Houston.

Whereas San Francisco has alot of the same type of houses and buildings that were built a very long time ago(not sure about Seattle).
Weingarten's is the worst about it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston