U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-01-2010, 03:22 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,067,876 times
No problem! That's my goal on here is to promote Huntington and let everyone know all of the great things going on here.

As more of an update to some of your questions above, the Corps of Engineers has decided that it can stay in its current building and do the renovations floor by floor which is great for downtown.

Corps employees likely to remain in building during renovations - The Herald Dispatch

Corps projects back on track - The Herald Dispatch

The VA also recently announced that it is moving the offices for its Homeless Outreach program into a building just around the corner on 9th Street. The building has been empty for years but is currently being renovated.

The Campbell Woods law firm has their signage up on the old Love Hardware building and renovations there look to be complete.

A new tennant is moving into Pullman Square and once it is in, there will only be one empty space left in that development. Once MU moves into the old Stone and Thomas building and Intellos moves into its new spot, there will only be one empty space in the buildings across 3rd ave as well.

Great things happening in Huntington for sure!

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-02-2010, 07:47 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,065,389 times
Thanks for the positive news! Huntington, even "wasting away," is still a beautiful city and I am very happy to see some forward motion there. I used to drive through the downtown, and the older neighborhoods and look at all of the fascinating old homes and historic apartment buildings there. I could see that city as it was in it's heyday. It must have been gorgeous! because the elegance was still there, even though neglected and becoming shabby. :-)

(I'm no longer in WV, but I miss it. SIMB is for where I am now, lol.)

Unread 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Huntington does have a lot of character and the city is finally working hard to turn things around and it seems to be paying off. A citizen of the area recently donated $100,000 to the city and combined with money from the city government, they are getting ready to tear down 53 dilapidated structures in the coming months. This should help with home values, revitalization of existing properties and redevelopment of newly vacant properties. Here's an article:

Demolition of 53 structures planned - The Herald Dispatch

Here's also an article talking about the relocation of the VA Homeless Services offices into downtown. This is another $700,000 being invested into downtown which is great.

Editorial: Shift of services to downtown makes good sense - The Herald Dispatch

Unread 11-03-2010, 03:54 PM

17 posts, read 20,159 times
One thing Tim I have also picked up reading between the lines is that some of the law firms that are relocating to the love hardware,and former Dickenson furnature buildings had offices in the coal exchange building or the lower floors of the St. James. Have you heard if the Firms are leaving so that the areas can be changed to living space, or is that unconfirmed? I also noted here in Charlotte that there is at least one 2 story modern "Lowes Foods" super market. I am wondering when someone will actually bring a food store near town, like between MU and downtown. I know the small Deli on 3rd street has some odd items but that is not really a "food store".

It really is exciting to hear of the development that has begun in the Downtown. If people had the mindset of Florida, someone would also consider building some new condo high rise units along the river. With the age of the WV population and the desire of may that are approaching retirement to return to Huntington, I think this could be a good move.
It would also be nice if Champion Industries would consider building a new headquarters building in the downtown too. But I assume they will always stay in that small, out of the way building the have now.

Just some thoughts
RLB

Unread 11-03-2010, 09:11 PM

I've heard that the St. James is working on Phase 2 of condos for that building so it could have something to do with the law firm moving. I have not heard anything about the renovation of the Coal Exchange building but being 5 blocks from Marshall and 2 blocks from downtown Huntington, it would be a perfect fit for business professionals and Marshall professors. If other developers are looking at the same data that the guy who developed the St. James did, it will happen sooner rather than later. Here's what he had to say about Huntington:

Michael Rafey is President of Swiss Capital Group, a development company based in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., that buys real estate with the intention of forming owner-run condominiums. He passed on the opportunity to buy in New Orleans for the chance to procure the St. James building on the corner of 10th Street and 4th Avenue downtown. Why?

The data on Huntingtons growth and prospective growth is excellent, he explains. Its not just Pullman Square its the hospitals expanding their staff, especially physicians, the University and Medical School expanding, younger couples relocating. This place is about to take off.

Welcome to Huntington Quarterly Magazine Online

And a Huntington Lawyer owns land on the river front next to Harris River Front Park. He has supposedly gotten approval from the Corps of Engineers to build such condos on the river front as long as the first 2 levels are parking and/or storage. My guess is that if that happens, it will be after Harris River Front Park is renovated in order to piggy back on the success of that project. Only time will tell.

And you are spot on about a new, upscale grocery store downtown. The people here are pushing for something like a Trader Joes or Harris Teeter and HADCO is supposedly looking into it as well. It definately needs to happen and I hope it does.

A new headquarters for Champion Industries would be great but I think Mr. Reynolds is too frugal to do something like that.

Unread 06-01-2011, 02:50 PM

648 posts, read 272,958 times
Tim, do you know if the residential space above the Campbell Woods law firm (the old Love Hardware building) are completed? If so, do you know if these are only for sale or is renting an option? Also, do you know who to contact about the spaces? Thanks.

Unread 06-02-2011, 05:16 AM

I think that the Law firm actually takes up the entire building. The plan had been for the condos to go in when Love Hardware was still there but the law firm bought out their lease and from my understanding the rest of the building. Those would have been some of the best condos in Huntington though. Hopefully Dr. Touma will put some condos in in the upper floors of the buildings that he owns. There will definately be a need once the new Marshall Art building opens there.

Doors close April 17 - The Herald Dispatch

Unread 06-03-2011, 06:51 AM

648 posts, read 272,958 times
I agree with you there Tim. My wife and I are moving back to Huntington and are looking for a place. I would like to live downtown but right now we aren't looking to buy and are finding hurdles due to pets. We grew up in the Huntington area and where we live now, there are an abundance of rental properties(apartments, lofts, condos, houses) and it seems that they will cater to just about every need of the potential tenants. The majority of landlords and rental companies in Huntington don't seem very accomodating and unwilling to change. That is a problem.

I believe the housing issue is one of the biggest hurdles still facing the Huntington area, especially downtown. I know that Dr. Touma and few others are making progress but there still lacks the higher amount of needed top quality homes and rental properties in the city limits. Thirty somethings don't want to live with college students and obviously with Huntington being a college town, that is the majority population for rentals. Many people like myself also don't want to buy or rent a 100 year old home on the south side that hasn't been updated in the last 25 or so years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington