U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 09:13 AM

4,154 posts, read 6,867,771 times

Advertisements

The Downtown Huntington FB Page is reporting that a new baseball stadium for Marshall and a Minor League team is soon to be announced!!! Fingers crossed!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 11:54 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,303,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The Downtown Huntington FB Page is reporting that a new baseball stadium for Marshall and a Minor League team is soon to be announced!!! Fingers crossed!!
I hope they arenít bluffing. That would be a game changer for Huntington and MU

Old 07-26-2018, 04:20 PM

22 posts, read 9,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I can't find it on their page. Did they take it down?

Old 07-26-2018, 04:27 PM

45 posts, read 59,967 times
I think the most important issue is the brown fields area where Rubberlite needs to build their Polytech center. I know the ball field is to be located somewhere near there but we need the jobs more in my mind. it is a shame we need to choose at this critical time but we need to get Rubberlite and the satellite companies settled first. maybe that will help some to support Marshall and go to the baseball games. Maybe they will both be announced at the same time. Lord knows it has been long enough to wait. my questions for the city are three fold.
1. when is work on the brown fields are to begin
2. when is the work on the marina going to begin
3. when is the work from the "retire Huntington" group going to get started?
in other words when will West Virginia get the darn 25% credit moving. it is still in the works is it not?

I have nothing against the Ball field and want it built, but Huntington can't live on the service sector forever. Though Huntington has a moving downtown we need some more positive job growth to stabilize Marshall with contributions as well as get the University growing again. i am glad for the new aluminum plant near Ashland and additions to the Southpoint industrial area. In fact maybe Huntington should somehow work with with these job growth areas and tap into their manpower and somehow create more of a symbiotic relationship since West Virginia is so far behind these other states. I can't believe that some developer did not come up with a new 5 to 7 story mid-rise medical center building to house doctors offices and sleep study units and other small lab offices. GOOD GRIEF, it does not take a rocket scientist to see it would have worked at the Kinetic center and even more on Hal Greer where northcott use to be. that Cabell Hospital is a job generator are all the developers blind to this?? come to other growing areas (cities) and you can see it.
I will say if the only positive that can done now is the baseball field then build it. Keep the growth going as moderate as it is. I am excited that city is so far beyond what is was 10 years ago. it seem like we just need to get over the hump and start growing again.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1 View Post
I can't find it on their page. Did they take it down?
Yes, within an hour of me making that post here, the original was removed. Hopefully itís because they just want the announcement to be a bigger surprise!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4htown View Post
I think the most important issue is the brown fields area where Rubberlite needs to build their Polytech center. I know the ball field is to be located somewhere near there but we need the jobs more in my mind. it is a shame we need to choose at this critical time but we need to get Rubberlite and the satellite companies settled first. maybe that will help some to support Marshall and go to the baseball games. Maybe they will both be announced at the same time. Lord knows it has been long enough to wait. my questions for the city are three fold.
1. when is work on the brown fields are to begin
2. when is the work on the marina going to begin
3. when is the work from the "retire Huntington" group going to get started?
in other words when will West Virginia get the darn 25% credit moving. it is still in the works is it not?

I have nothing against the Ball field and want it built, but Huntington can't live on the service sector forever. Though Huntington has a moving downtown we need some more positive job growth to stabilize Marshall with contributions as well as get the University growing again. i am glad for the new aluminum plant near Ashland and additions to the Southpoint industrial area. In fact maybe Huntington should somehow work with with these job growth areas and tap into their manpower and somehow create more of a symbiotic relationship since West Virginia is so far behind these other states. I can't believe that some developer did not come up with a new 5 to 7 story mid-rise medical center building to house doctors offices and sleep study units and other small lab offices. GOOD GRIEF, it does not take a rocket scientist to see it would have worked at the Kinetic center and even more on Hal Greer where northcott use to be. that Cabell Hospital is a job generator are all the developers blind to this?? come to other growing areas (cities) and you can see it.
I will say if the only positive that can done now is the baseball field then build it. Keep the growth going as moderate as it is. I am excited that city is so far beyond what is was 10 years ago. it seem like we just need to get over the hump and start growing again.
I believe almost everything that you mentioned is in the works. I'm not sure how far along as many of these things take time. The baseball field is part of the brownfield redevelopment like the Rubberlite expansion is. The ball field is just the easiest part of that equation as it is planned to go on the area that is currently just a parking lot. Hopefully we will hear more about all of this very soon.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:30 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,303,445 times
I have a question regarding the "retire Huntington" group that rlb mentioned. Is this the initiative to resettle many retiree's in downtown buildings that sit largely unoccupied?. The Coal Exchange building comes to mind. That is a large, mostly vacant building that needs to be re-purposed for mix use residential/commercial.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:35 PM

Yes, that's the group. I haven't heard much about how Huntington is using the historic tax credit increase but we are a city that was listed as having historic tax credit applications that have been filed and some soon to be filed in an article by the HD talking about the credit. No specifics were given on who had filed and which buildings were involved though.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:21 PM

It'll be interesting to see if this is a first step for the much requested law school:

Quote:
Marshall University, named for the nation’s fourth Chief Justice of the United States, has formed the John Marshall Legal Society, a new venture which will serve as a university hub to facilitate various endeavors.
https://www.marshall.edu/ucomm/2018/...legal-society/

Old 09-18-2018, 10:56 AM

Looks like some good additions to the Marshall dining options are coming:

Changes coming to MU dining services in 2019 | Marshall University | herald-dispatch.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or