U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:30 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,794,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Sounds like a really exciting development. How much is the city paying for this, and how much is the Marina paying? That's a lot of money.
They haven't given any more details. They said the partnership would allow for public and private grants and other funding sources, and for the mayor stressing in an earlier article (http://bit.ly/1vjHDc4) that a solid funding plan be in place, I would assume they have most of their ducks in a row. Now, you never know with grant applications and the like, but if the City seems confident, so shall I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times
I will be cautiously optimistic until dirt starts to move on this project. Here's an article about Superior Marine's initial project. It was planned to be a $300 million project but the grants fell through. The same thing could happen with this so lets keep our fingers crossed. The retirement community from their original plan did happen though. They also tried this just after the economic slow down, which I'm sure affected things as well.

Quote:
The project first announced about five years ago calls for a retirement community, a resort hotel, condominiums, a yacht club, public and private marinas and a water taxi service between Riverwalk and Harris Riverfront Park in Huntington. "This is a seven- to 10-year project that will cost in excess of $300 million," Manns said.

"It's a most difficult time to borrow money, but the financing will come. We're confident it will come. We're on track to get financing for the first building before the end of the year," he said. Developers hope to hear about financing for the first two buildings in about 60 days, he said.
Developers await Riverwalk financing | The Herald-Dispatch

Here's a new editorial about the current proposal:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/opini...iting-prospect

Old 02-22-2015, 10:07 PM

9,400 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Default Mayor Williams is Promising a Rebirth of Huntington

Now, I have to say, this is what I like to see in a mayor. His approach is upbeat, and he has a vision and goals he wants to accomplish. Hats off to Mayor Williams...

Huntington Mayor: City poised for

Old 02-23-2015, 06:38 AM

Yeah, I was concerned about the Riverwalk project falling through, but I'm more hopeful about this. The economic climate is much better than it was back then. And we're not talking about a fiscally liberal mayor/council willing to pony up cash for anything. We have a very pragmatic leadership for our city which has made smart growth principles the priority. Plus, this is a partnership with a city; with respect to Lawrence County, OH, this is joint venture with a stronger, more focused government.

Then again, I'm always optimistic.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 AM

941 posts, read 1,049,836 times
Here is a little more on the redevelopment:

As it says in the article, they want this to be a special development that will draw people from all around. They want it to be a major attraction to the area and not just another small park. They want to develop a tourist destination. Research has been done along the Ohio River to ensure the project's uniqueness. More will be announced in the coming months, but I have provided some of the important and/or interesting aspects of this project as they stand now. See below for the link referencing the article from Huntingtonnews.net.

Quote:
Huntington Mayor Steve Williams outlined the reinvention of Harris Riverfront Park that would turn it into a large scale regional tourist attraction, including the blacktopped East End into a "boardwalk" with boutique shops and restaurants running alongside the floodwall. Greenspace and dry dock facilities would be included too. "Near the top of the floodwall would be condominiums to create a living community," Williams said. The living spaces would be over the shops.
Quote:
--- the public/private partnership envisions one of the Mayor's "we either go first class or we will not do anything" philosophy. The project would attract more tourists, particularly a boost for attracting more overnight passenger steamboats.
Quote:
Both the Tenth and Twelfth Street entrances would be widened and the amphitheater would be moved eastward. "When you come in the Tenth Street entrance , you would see the amphitheater in front of you," the Mayor said. These improvements are part of the Corps. of Engineer plan.
Quote:
Bottom line, in the Mayor's words, no funds will be taken from providing city services, such as snow removal.
Quote:
A state-of-the-art 260 slip marina, 260 boat dry dock facility and boat repair shop will be in the initial phase. "Someone with their boat in the dry dock facility could call and ask their boat be available at 8 a.m. It would be sitting in the slip and they motor away," the Mayor explained. "The slips will have hydraulic lifts so the boat will not be beat up by the river."
Quote:
Under the preliminary plans, the shops/condos would stretch from the marina to 12th Street and from Tenth Street to an area near the expanded phases of the skatepark development.

Facilities for a short term rental RV park are planned for the undeveloped western end of Harris.
Reinvented Harris Riverfront Park Envisioned as Destination Tourist Attraction | Huntington News

Old 03-03-2015, 09:34 PM

29,617 posts, read 65,640,395 times
I must say that if the Harris Riverfront Park redevelopment reaches its fullest potential I might even consider visiting from all the way up in Pittsburgh! I just did a little Google Street View tour of Huntington, and I like that Pullman Square is much better integrated into the fabric of the Downtown than many other modern "lifestyle center" projects that often feel like islands (looking at you, "Waterfront", in Homestead, PA). I think Pullman Square AND a revamped Harris Riverfront Park should spur more economic revitalization and redevelopment in Downtown Huntington.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I must say that if the Harris Riverfront Park redevelopment reaches its fullest potential I might even consider visiting from all the way up in Pittsburgh! I just did a little Google Street View tour of Huntington, and I like that Pullman Square is much better integrated into the fabric of the Downtown than many other modern "lifestyle center" projects that often feel like islands (looking at you, "Waterfront", in Homestead, PA). I think Pullman Square AND a revamped Harris Riverfront Park should spur more economic revitalization and redevelopment in Downtown Huntington.
It's nice to see that someone from the outside also sees the same potential that we see. Hopefully, the Riverfront will live up to the hype.

Not to get off topic but...

I took a look at The Waterfront in Homestead, PA and I must say that it is just wayyyyyy tooooo suburban for my tastes. Too much parking space and not dense enough. Since Homestead is kind of a Pittsburgh suburb, this might be okay. On the other hand, Homestead has it's own small downtown (urban area/core) and The Waterfront just doesn't fit. It doesn't really make sense in the context of the surroundings.

So yeah, I agree with you. Lol

Old 03-04-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
To be fair, the Waterfront was the site of a huge steel mill, so there's a lot of space and only so much development. But I agree, I never liked going over there thanks to the suburban feel (and traffic through Squirrel Hill). Give me Southside Works any day.

And Pullman isn't just integrated into downtown - it is the hub of downtown and has revitalized that area. The hope is that this park project will only bolster that. It isn't just sprucing up what's there; it's a complete overhaul that will actually bring economic activity (and diversity) to the river side of the floodwall. As it is, HRP isn't a bad park at all; it just isn't a good one either. It is utilized often, and thankfully this will help realize its potential. For example, there are only two entrances and only one is convenient to pedestrians (10th St.). And even then, once you cross the Veterans Blvd., there aren't even sidewalks. Then once you're there it's a confusing layout and poorly designed for pedestrian circulation.

Another project the City is about to undertake is improving the cycling and pedestrian circulation along 10th St., in hopes to create a more vibrant connection between Harris and Ritter. Come a decade from now (when the riverfront park is fully built-out), 10th St. will be a wonderful multi-modal connection between two of the best parks in the state and region.

I might be an optimist, but I keep telling everyone the same thing. Huntington is about to take off in ways we couldn't have imagined even five years ago.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I might be an optimist, but I keep telling everyone the same thing. Huntington is about to take off in ways we couldn't have imagined even five years ago.
I think that a lot of us agree with you there.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:53 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times
Development of riverfront park progressing slowly | News | herald-dispatch.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington