U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2011, 11:27 AM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,099,666 times
Reputation: 1758

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
First off, you know nothing about Marshall University, all you can do is insult it! That's It!

Second, all of those projects I mentioned were given through "state grants" The new Evansdale campus will replace several of the existing structures and will add a few new ones! University high shool was the biggest pork project of them all! The mommies and daddies that know people in the state office pulled some strings to get that building! PRT expansion is not needed and was another state grant! Sports Fields might have some generous donations, but the state has a price too! Plus they are not needed at all!

And if you want to talk bad about our state government, then don't reffer to it as Charleston! The state government is all in bed with WVU and its NCWV reps! Charleston is the capital's host city, not any political machine that controls the state funds! Nor does our cities businesses or wealty residents!
I know enough about Marshall to know it is one of the worst universities in the country.

Again no. Morgantown does use Federal grants, but rarely gets state grants because those usually go to cities closer to Charleston. Occasionally it does get one, but that is once in a blue moon.

WVU improvements come from its own underfunded budget, which is shamefully low. Most state schools get 5x as much as WVU for being an equivalent size.

New UHS came from Mon county taxpayers because that school was overcrowded and outdated.

PRT was school budget, and that update was 20 years late, and was needed to keep the PRT running.

Im sure Charleston is taking credit for these things. They always do. Maybe less than 10% of the funding for these things came from Charleston, but I doubt they even got that much. When things do get better in Morgantown Charleston is quick to take credit, despite the fact they did nothing.

Also you have a typical Charleston attitude that Morgantown deserves nothing. If Riverside was as crowded as UHS you would be outraged, but when UHS is too crowded that is ok by you because it is in Mon county. We shouldnt get new schools, we shouldnt be allowed to get funds to keep the PRT running, we dont deserve funds for infrastructure, etc. You have proved my point that people in Charleston want to stop Morgantown from growing because they know it is a threat to their power. They feel only people in Charleston-Huntington and Southern WV deserve nice things, and the rest of the state can suck it. This is why Northern WV does not like Charleston.

You see you are bitter about Morgantown. You dont want any funding from Charleston going to Morgantown, and thanks to people like you it doesnt. Morgantown had to develop on its own because of this. You expected it to fail, but it didnt. Charleston is hell bent on being opposed to Morgantown, and it will be the downfall of Charleston. Maybe you should reconsider your greedy attitude Chris? You are biting the hand that feeds your socialist city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2011, 12:28 PM
 
Location: 304
4,979 posts, read 6,536,971 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I know enough about Marshall to know it is one of the worst universities in the country.

Again no. Morgantown does use Federal grants, but rarely gets state grants because those usually go to cities closer to Charleston. Occasionally it does get one, but that is once in a blue moon.

WVU improvements come from its own underfunded budget, which is shamefully low. Most state schools get 5x as much as WVU for being an equivalent size.

New UHS came from Mon county taxpayers because that school was overcrowded and outdated.

PRT was school budget, and that update was 20 years late, and was needed to keep the PRT running.

Im sure Charleston is taking credit for these things. They always do. Maybe less than 10% of the funding for these things came from Charleston, but I doubt they even got that much. When things do get better in Morgantown Charleston is quick to take credit, despite the fact they did nothing.

Also you have a typical Charleston attitude that Morgantown deserves nothing. If Riverside was as crowded as UHS you would be outraged, but when UHS is too crowded that is ok by you because it is in Mon county. We shouldnt get new schools, we shouldnt be allowed to get funds to keep the PRT running, we dont deserve funds for infrastructure, etc. You have proved my point that people in Charleston want to stop Morgantown from growing because they know it is a threat to their power. They feel only people in Charleston-Huntington and Southern WV deserve nice things, and the rest of the state can suck it. This is why Northern WV does not like Charleston.

You see you are bitter about Morgantown. You dont want any funding from Charleston going to Morgantown, and thanks to people like you it doesnt. Morgantown had to develop on its own because of this. You expected it to fail, but it didnt. Charleston is hell bent on being opposed to Morgantown, and it will be the downfall of Charleston. Maybe you should reconsider your greedy attitude Chris? You are biting the hand that feeds your socialist city.
All of those projects were state handouts, and might or might not have been needed! Morgantown more new school buildings than any area except for the EP! Riverside is a crowded school, but I could care less because they have a newer building that the county paid for!

You are crazy, Charleston has nothing to do with what Morgantown does and doesn't have! If Mon county is so sucessful then stop your renting and drop it! Because the Real Truth is that Morgantown and WVU are well funded and if they weren't then they would be like other crappy north central WV towns!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 01:42 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,099,666 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
All of those projects were state handouts, and might or might not have been needed! Morgantown more new school buildings than any area except for the EP! Riverside is a crowded school, but I could care less because they have a newer building that the county paid for!

You are crazy, Charleston has nothing to do with what Morgantown does and doesn't have! If Mon county is so sucessful then stop your renting and drop it! Because the Real Truth is that Morgantown and WVU are well funded and if they weren't then they would be like other crappy north central WV towns!
Again no. These are all projects that Morgantown and WVU did on their own with little or no help from Charleston. Also WVU is seperate from Morgantown. WVU is underfunded and Morgantown is very underfunded. Funding for WVU doesnt count as funding for Morgantown and vice versa.

It would be nice if Charleston gave Morgantown a handout, but Charleston is too busy giving Charleston handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
388 posts, read 659,483 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Because the Real Truth is that Morgantown and WVU are well funded and if they weren't then they would be like other crappy north central WV towns!
You cannot be serious. North Central West Virginia might not be the prettiest place and does have that "rustbelt" look to it, but it is honestly worlds better than southern West Virginia. The first time I ever went to Charleston, I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the sides of the highway and how poor everything was. Places like Boone, Roane, Mingo, McDowell County, etc. literally look like a third world country. As for this whole argument, I'm not going to sit here and bicker back and forth with anybody, but let me just say that my pap lives in Mineral County and was a delegate in the state legislature for a long time and he says a lot of the same things that I'm reading here. Charleston, Huntington, and Southern West Virginia get funding for whatever they want or need while the northern part of the state has to fend for itself. I am concerned about the effect of this on the growth of NCWV and the EP. While these places are certainly "healthier" than a lot of the state, that doesn't mean it can be left alone. You have to accomodate growth with things like infrastructure and invest in places that have the greatest potential to shine. Otherwise, you're left with a jumbled mess that people are no longer interested in moving to. Right now you've got the university and a burgeoning tech sector in NCWV creating growth, the explosion of DC growth into Berkeley and Jefferson Counties, DC-infuenced growth from the expansion of satellite cities like Hagerstown and Winchester into Morgan, Hampshire, Hardy, and even far-eastern Mineral County. Cumberland ex-pats easing the tax burden by moving to Mineral, and growth in Grant and Mineral Co. from new jobs at Mount Storm and other construction projects. I personally feel that some attention from the state government is long overdue to these areas as something is obviously going right. With all that being said, Huntington seems like a really nice town and there were some aspects of Charleston that I liked. I just wish it had a more pedestrian downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,151 posts, read 6,853,510 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Charleston, Huntington, and Southern West Virginia get funding for whatever they want or need while the northern part of the state has to fend for itself.
I think feelings like this tend to come because people have a tendency to think they are getting the shaft while everyone else is getting all of the money. I can assure you, here in Huntington we don't get funding for "whatever we want." The city leaders here had to beg the politicians for years just so they could change the way that they funded pensions. Much of the funding for improvements to streetscapes, etc has come from Federal grants that the city applied for. And then Marshall gets so little funding, they made a contract with a private company to come in and build about $100 million in new facilities (2 dorms, a rec center and a new softball field) because the state wouldn't give them a dime for it. Doesn't quite sound like getting whatever they want huh?

The perception here is that the politicians in Charleston don't want Huntington to surpass it population wise so they don't help and they don't extend help to Marshall because WVU controls the politics of Higher Ed in the state, looking out for their own interests rather than those of the state as a whole.

We actually did a session in a leadership training program that dealt with this very issue. Resources are divided among 3 groups with two getting nearly equal resources and one getting very little. Rather than cooperating, the two largest groups always think that the other has more and they compete for the allegiance of the third town and won't negotiate with each other due to rivalry and jealousy. Even though one aspect of what the two groups had was better than the other in some way, there was resentment and a feeling like the other group was corrupt and out to get them. Cities and institutions in this state compete for resources and when you don't get everything you want, you have a tendency to think someone else did. Right or wrong, I think it's human nature to feel this way but if you talk to those who you feel are getting all they want and they think it's the other way around, odds are that maybe your point of view is a little skewed.

Simulated Society Group Course Instruction - Ron Thomas Talks

Extending the Theory of Realistic Conflict to Competition in Institutional Settings: Intergroup Status and Outcome - Tags: INTERGROUP relations SOCIAL interaction (http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/11854773/extending-theory-realistic-conflict-competition-institutional-settings-intergroup-status-outcome - broken link)

Check out the abstract from this last link:

The authors analyzed the extent to which the Theory of Realistic Conflict can be extended to institutional settings in which groups are not actively involved in decisions but are passive targets of decisions taken by an institutional authority (the rector). A negative interdependence between the in-group (psychology) and a high-or low-status outgroup (engineering versus nursing) was established by an institutional authority (the rector). The competition (induced by the rector) was beneficial (an increase in the budget previously invested in the faculty) or detrimental (a decrease in the budget) for the in-group. The results confirmed that competition affects mutual attitudes, images, and behaviors of groups even if the groups are passive targets of decisions that the institutional authority makes. Moreover, competition--regardless of whether beneficial or detrimental--deteriorated images of and attitudes toward high-status out-groups. In contrast, competition improved images and opinions about low-status out-groups, but only in the loss condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2012, 05:29 PM
 
45 posts, read 105,243 times
Reputation: 17
Default Restaurants in Huntington

We moved here 4 years ago and have tried several restaurants in Huntington and Barboursville. So far we have loved almost all of them.

We have eaten at local places as well as chain restaurants. We were so surprised to see how much better quality food and service we have had at the restaurants here than we did in Florida.

One time we ate at a Chilis in Florida and they served us chicken stips that were raw in the middle. The service there was also sub par.

When we moved here we were hesitant to eat an another Chilis. However, we tried it and wow what a difference. The food and the service at this Chilis here is great every time we eat there.

As far as the other chains here they also have been wonderful. Funny though, the Applebees near the mall is the only place we dont like to eat. Never have tried the downtown one though.

We have tried several of the local restaurants and love them also. Love going downtown and walking around Pullman and eating around there. We like to try different restaurants and have noticed new ones have come to town. May have to try a new one this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,151 posts, read 6,853,510 times
Reputation: 768
Glad you enjoy the local restaurants! If you haven't eaten there yet, make sure to try Huntington Prime and Blacksheep Burritos. Both are excellent. The new fresh market that just opened at Heritage Station will be a good place to check out too if you like to cook. Can't wait to try the new artisan pizza place, BAckyard Pizza and Raw BAr, on 4th Ave either. Sounds great from what I've heard so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top