Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 05:47 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,059,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Which companies currently use the facility?
Toyota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 05:16 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,135,062 times
I think some of the parts suppliers to Toyota use it as well but no where the amount of traffic needed for the facility.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:11 AM

16,609 posts, read 15,558,770 times
Route 52 is a US highway, not a state route. It runs perpendicular to I-64 and expansion to 4 lanes has been discussed for many years. Much of the portion in Ohio has been 4 lanes wide for over 20 years. It's expansion is badly needed. People driving to Williamson routinely go to Kentucky and drive down Route 23 do to the fact that 52 is narrow, twisty, slow, and dangerous.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:27 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,997,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Gotta spend money to make it. If the investment can bring economic benefits, then it's easy to justify.
You could make that claim for any of the obvious infrastructure needs in the state. Unfortunately, in this case, they have spent tens of millions and are not making money. There is no assurance that spending millions more would make money either. I don't have all the answers, but I would seriously doubt that not having a 4 lane highway leading to it would stop businesses from using this facility if it were economically viable to use it. It might make it easier to use, but I'd be surprised if that would be a deal breaker.

How far is this facility from the Interstate?

Old 07-04-2019, 04:53 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,135,062 times
It's around 12 driving miles from the facility to the I-64 interchange.

Perhaps building the bridge over the Big Sandy River to connect with Route 23 in Kentucky that I mentioned would be a better option. Rt 23 is a 4 lane divided highway that not only interchanges with I-64 but could help send truck traffic south and north. A bridge and intersection with Rt. 23 would be a far cheaper option than expanding 9 or 10 miles of Rt. 52.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:08 PM

4,946 posts, read 8,911,737 times
Part of the issue is that the state apparently has not marketed the facility well and they also only provided capabilities for 20 ft containers. According to the full article from the HD, most companies want/need 40 ft containers. The state never purchased the equipment to provide access for that type of container.

Quote:
"Most of the ones that Toyota uses are 20-footers and other interested companies need 40-footers, particularly those involved in the shipment of lumber," Graney said. "Hopefully, a private operator can resolve these container size issues."

Other board members stated not enough money was appropriated for marketing the facility.

"I agree there has been trouble funding this facility," White said. "It's been losing money and borrowing money from the WVDOT."
https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...df38c3e79.html

The condition of US 52 probably has not helped either:

Quote:
Allevard Sogefi, Okuno International, Harbor Steel and Supply, and Zim's Bagging Co. are four major businesses located in Prichard at the industrial park that bring customer and supplier traffic to the road on a daily basis.

Okuno produces hydraulic cylinders for material handling often used in forklifts and agriculture equipment. General manager Maria O'Reilly said customers from across the United States visit the site and the uneven stretch of road seems to always be mentioned, especially by those who have not been in the area before.
https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...df38c3e79.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington