U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 AM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,121,845 times
Reputation: 1758

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Huntington and Charleston remain on the list of improving markets and are the only 2 cities in the state to make the list.

http://www.nahb.org/fileUpload_detai...ntentID=166615
Yeah, improving markets, it is not a good list. It means they were bad at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,154 posts, read 6,874,410 times
Reputation: 768
It simply means they are showing signs of growth in multiple areas. And they are currently the only two cities in WV improving in those areas to make the list. Those are the kinds of things developers look at as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 AM
 
1,370 posts, read 1,266,606 times
Reputation: 397
Thanks for posting the information bailey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 AM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,121,845 times
Reputation: 1758
Yes, they are showing signs of growth because they hit rock bottom and can't get lower. They were the only cities with bad markets hence the only cities that can improve. Developers are not impressed that the market was bad and is only now beginning to recover. Again this is not a good thing. It isn't bad as things are getting better but all it means is they are improving from a bad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 12:24 PM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
10,353 posts, read 10,424,312 times
Reputation: 6972
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
It simply means they are showing signs of growth in multiple areas. And they are currently the only two cities in WV improving in those areas to make the list. Those are the kinds of things developers look at as well.
Does this mean housing sales are increasing, housing prices are increasing, or new housing construction is increasing, or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,154 posts, read 6,874,410 times
Reputation: 768
From their website:

Quote:
The index identifies metropolitan areas that have shown improvement from their respective troughs in housing permits, employment and house prices for at least six consecutive months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,815 posts, read 3,306,847 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Does this mean housing sales are increasing, housing prices are increasing, or new housing construction is increasing, or something else?
Mensa, from everything I've been reading in the Huntinhgron-Charleston real estate publications; this is a sellers market. Some agencies are saying they are having a really hard time finding housing for their clients. Hence why there is more construction springing up again in Putnam County-Barboursville corridor. Housing prices are increasing. And in the development I live in, home lots are selling fast again and houses are being built at a pretty fast pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:20 PM
 
9,415 posts, read 11,509,228 times
Reputation: 1513
I think that is wonderful. One wonders if the fact that some cities, specifically Martinsburg and Morgantown, are not on the list because they already have strong housing markets and improvements are irrelevant? I know it would be hard to make ours much better here in Morgantown. Our builders continue to work at capacity.

With that in mind, possibly Huntington and Charleston are moving closer to joining the state's already strong housing markets? That's good news for those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 PM
 
9,415 posts, read 11,509,228 times
Reputation: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Mensa, from everything I've been reading in the Huntinhgron-Charleston real estate publications; this is a sellers market. Some agencies are saying they are having a really hard time finding housing for their clients. Hence why there is more construction springing up again in Putnam County-Barboursville corridor. Housing prices are increasing. And in the development I live in, home lots are selling fast again and houses are being built at a pretty fast pace.
Silk, to what do you attribute these developments? Low interest rates, or other economic factors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,154 posts, read 6,874,410 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I think that is wonderful. One wonders if the fact that some cities, specifically Martinsburg and Morgantown, are not on the list because they already have strong housing markets and improvements are irrelevant? I know it would be hard to make ours much better here in Morgantown. Our builders continue to work at capacity.

With that in mind, possibly Huntington and Charleston are moving closer to joining the state's already strong housing markets? That's good news for those cities.
Huntington and Charleston already had relatively strong housing markets, both making the best housing markets list last year and again this year as well with 4% and 4.5% growth expected. It seems both are experiencing a growth period.

Best Housing Markets Forecast

Martinsburg and the Eastern Panhandle have experienced a decent downturn in the housing market due to the economic downturn and housing market collapse. Morgantown is more driven by rentals and made one list of worst housing markets ove the next 5 years but the site above predicted the growth there to be 3.8%.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...124724891.html

Here's the WV Housing Forecast:

West Virginia, Charleston, Huntington, Morgantown, Wheeling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top