Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 06:38 AM

530 posts, read 589,468 times

Advertisements

With the story regarding the Tanyard Crossing Retail development in today's HD, it seems like we have a little better idea of what is being proposed. Here are some of the highlights of the report:

Quote:
Tanyard Crossing will be a commercial real estate development comprised of 144,000 square feet of retail space, hotels, restaurants, banks and a gas station.
Quote:
I can see the potential created for Barboursville by the Tanyard Crossing project," said Chris Tatum, Barboursville mayor. "This is no strip mall; this is a top-notch development. We are looking to bring in large, reputable companies to Tanyard Crossing like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop, and a lot of other retail stores, hotels, restaurants, a couple of banks and that doesn't scratch the surface of what we can do with the additional room for development.
Quote:
Tatum, who said outparcels at Tanyard Crossing are similar to those developed at Huntington Mall, would like at least one of those pieces of land to contain a community building similar to the Marshall Rec Center.
Quote:
I'd say it's safe to say, overall, this is a $35 million to $50 million development. The infrastructure alone will be around $5 million.
Quote:
Tatum, who said establishing the TIF district is "crucial" to the development of Tanyard Crossing, said he and Roswall are going before the Cabell County Commission to request approval for the TIF district "as soon as possible."
Quote:
It will take six to nine months to establish the TIF district, Childers said, and another six months of construction before Tanyard Crossing begins taking shape.
It's great to see the new mayor working so closely with the county and private developers to help make this project a reality. It seems that the first major step is going to be establishing the TIF district (which hopefully can be done fairly quickly, without delay from the Cabell County Commission) and then construction can begin. I really think the potential is huge with this piece of property and hopefully we will get some great new retail options that will really attract people to the area. Can't wait to hear more in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 08:08 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
I don't care what else is built, but even if it is a single Whole Foods or Trader Joe's surrounded by nothing else, it's a win in my book!

Old 07-19-2015, 03:36 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Looks like an intriguing project! I hope that it comes to fruition and some upscale shopping can find its way there. I hope that this will encourage some shopping options in Charleston to copycat as well! I am not rooting against Huntington in getting this, just rooting for Charleston to out do them!

Old 07-19-2015, 04:24 PM

Two things. Re: Tanyard - I'm not as familiar with that area as some others. I looks like the railroad separates it from the rest of Barboursville. How stark of a disconnect is it? From the site plan, it looks like a typical strip development, unfortunately. Could it be modified to encourage a connection to Barboursville to make a unified area and grow the village? It just seems like this could be an opportunity to do so instead of building another strip mall.

Also, the HMDA is having a meeting, and on the agenda is matters regarding the 4th/8th lot and purchase option of the Ingram Barge property (http://www.huntingtonnews.net/118470). Could be more development news on the horizon.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:34 PM

530 posts, read 589,468 times
I believe that it appears that it may be more upscale than your typical strip mall. While there is a strip component (that will house a grocery store of some sort - hopefully Whole Foods or Trader Joe's), based on the map, there are at least 9 outparcels for mostly restaurants, hotels, gas station, bank, rec center, etc. I'm sure that the current site map being published is very rough and will likely evolve somewhat as things become solidified.

The main entrance to Tanyard Crossing will be at the signalized intersection of Rt. 60 and the Merritts Creek Connector (which will make that a 4-way intersection) which should give great access to the property, especially along with hopefully some turn lane additions on Rt. 60. Based on the map, there also appears to be at least two other entrances/exits from the property onto Rt. 60. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future they construct on overpass over the railroad tracks to connect to Barboursville from the backside of the property.

Overall, I think the development will prove to be a huge success, esp. if they bring in businesses that are not currently in the area. It will continue to build on Barboursville's reputation as a regional shopping destination.

Last edited by jcesomstudent; 07-20-2015 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 06:26 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Some details about lot redevelopment downtown:

Quote:
HUNTINGTON - The Huntington Municipal Development Authority is entering negotiations to sell a parking lot at 4th Avenue and 8th Street with the implication that redevelopment of most of the 800 block of 3rd Avenue will follow.

Capital Venture Corp. presented its plan during a two-hour executive session Monday, with partner Jim Weiler - also a member of the HMDA board - laying out a $6.65 million transformation of the block space, with $2.1 million in financing already secured.
Quote:
The HMDA board also met with downtown developer Shane Radcliff in executive session to hear his proposal for the parking lot at 4th Avenue and 8th Street.

While the board did not move to have Bell negotiate with Radcliff on the site, board member and Huntington Fire Chief Carl Eastham did make a motion that was passed to give Bell the authority to enter negotiations on other sites with other developers.

"We called (Radcliff) back in to see if developing one of the other sites was something that would interest him, and he said yes," Williams said.
City may sell lot for project | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 07-22-2015, 07:34 AM

So, my understanding is that the parking lot there will remain mostly the same land use, with some minor landscaping changes and parking reconfiguration (at least for the first phase). That's disappointing. Yes, it's in support of the developments along 3rd, but since those have been widely rumored already, this news is certainly anticlimactic. I think the importance of that parcel cannot be understated. Not only is it in a highly-visible part of downtown, but it would go a long way to help connect the rest of 4th Ave beyond 8th St, which is largely forgotten.

I am glad Radcliff is getting in on the developments though. Maybe we'll hear something more substantial on that front in the near future.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:49 AM

What I had heard was that the Whiskey Rocks and Rum Runners buildings would be torn down. That space would be converted into a "European Market" type space with indoor/outdoor space. I'm assuming that would extend to 4th Ave and be the connecting space mentioned in the article. Hopefully they would then do some type of further development in what's left of the parking lot rather than just leaving it as is. The Davis Opera House building would also be renovated of course. The article doesn't really give a lot of details but hopefully we'll hear more soon. I'd like to see some detailed plans with this set up.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:52 PM

A little more info about downtown redevelopment efforts:

Quote:
"Our market is maturing and our local developers have the wherewithal to complete the project. Huntington's downtown is poised for development unseen in seven decades,"Williams said.
Downtown "Poised for Development unseen in Seven Decades" | Huntington News

New businesses info:

MacKenzie-Dow opens showroom at Marshall's Visual Arts Center | The Herald-Dispatch

Business Beat: The Razor and Shear ready to open on 9th Street in August | The Herald-Dispatch

New barbecue place opens in West Huntington | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 07-25-2015, 02:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
In regards to the Tanyard crossing development, I'm hoping the grocery store portion is either Whole Foods or Trader Joes but between the two, I see Trader Joes coming first. Actually I wouldn't mind seeing a chain like Giant Eagle expanding further into WV to bring more competition.

As for the outlying properties, I know someone earlier brought up the possibility of Dunkin Donuts, which I could see happening if Little General builds the proposed gas station for the project. Also don't forget that Bojangle's announced they will be expanding into WV and I'm sure this area is on their radar.

Hopefully at least some of the other proposed restaurant sites will be developed by chains not in the area (Noodles and Company, Capriotti's, Red Robin, Dave and Busters or Gameworks, Bonefish Grill, etc.) or be a good locally owned eatery. That way there is more variety and options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington