Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:41 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times

Advertisements

There was a bad fire in the Morris Building downtown today. Thankfully it started on the roof so no one was injured but the integrity of the building is in question right now. Apartment renters and businesses are displaced for the short term at least. Hopefully those affected can find a new place and Backyard and The Peddler can reopen as well. A big thanks to our firemen and all that they do for our city and our policemen who helped out as well. Those guys definitely don't get enough thanks.

Crews extinguish downtown fire | The Herald-Dispatch

CITY: Morris Building Fire Started in Elevator Shaft

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/91961

Backyard Pizza/Peddler Emp. Fire Fund by Lacey Cyfers - GoFundMe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
There was a bad fire in the Morris Building downtown today. Thankfully it started on the roof so no one was injured but the integrity of the building is in question right now. Apartment renters and businesses are displaced for the short term at least. Hopefully those affected can find a new place and Backyard and The Peddler can reopen as well. A big thanks to our firemen and all that they do for our city and our policemen who helped out as well. Those guys definitely don't get enough thanks.

Crews extinguish downtown fire | The Herald-Dispatch

CITY: Morris Building Fire Started in Elevator Shaft

Huntington Area Responders Work Together to Contain Blaze in City Landmark | Huntington News

Backyard Pizza/Peddler Emp. Fire Fund by Lacey Cyfers - GoFundMe
I was soooo bummed to hear about this. I mean of all of the places, it had to be a building that was actually in heavy use or at least was about to be. I don't believe that this building will go by the wayside though. It is too historic of a building with too much potential.

I think that all will be well. It's just money lost that could have been better spent.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:28 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
I was absolutely heartbroken to see this. There were fears early on that the building could collapse, especially with the looming storms. Thankfully, those subsided and now it looks like the building has a slight chance to be salvageable. I'm glad no one was killed and that the lone injury wasn't life-threatening. All of the emergency responders did a phenomenal job and can't be thanked enough.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:15 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
This is truly horrific. I feel really bad for the residents and businesses this fire will affect. The community is really coming together to support each other. Hopefully some good can come out of this disaster.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:45 AM

WV MetroNews – Huntington apartment fire does not look suspicious

Very good news about the circumstances of the fire and the current integrity of the structure.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 AM

530 posts, read 589,468 times
This is very good news and I would imagine that repairs will indeed be made and they will be back up and running in no time. Lots of potential for that building, esp. with Backyard and the more recent addition of The Peddler. Thanks to all of those brave firefighters that worked so hard to get everything under control.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Officials said actual fire damage in the five-hour battle to control the blaze was contained mainly to the roof, though water damage was widespread.

No one in the building was hurt, though several residents and businesses have been displaced.

"We're just looking at putting on a new roof and hopefully saving the building," Hetzer said Tuesday.
Evaluation of Morris continues | The Herald-Dispatch

Morris Building Fundraisers | Huntington News

Old 09-06-2014, 04:22 AM

Repair the roof | The Herald-Dispatch

Quote:
HUNTINGTON -- Repairs to the exterior of Huntington's historic Morris Building are expected to begin shortly, more than a month after a roof fire on the seven-story structure had every fire department in the region preparing for the worst.

Insurance companies have given the green light to begin working on the roof that was damaged by fire on July 27, said Phil Cline, operating member of River Cities Properties LLC, which owns the building.

Cline said work is already underway on the inside, where heavy water damage was sustained from firefighters trying to control the blaze on the roof.

A crane will be brought in to remove the debris on the roof, then workers will begin rebuilding on top of the building, Cline said.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:26 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
Sounds like progress.

Any eta on when to expect Backyard Pizza and The Peddler to reopen?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:28 PM

Yeah, but I thought I saw a quote from the owner saying that they hoped to reopen in 8-10 months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
View detailed profiles of: