U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,795,666 times

Advertisements

Ah, Putnam County, WV's suburbia. My girlfriend and her family are from Scott Depot and are sort of bipolar in their entertainment. They'll go to Southridge for restaurants and such, but mostly go to Barboursville for shopping. Her parents work in downtown Charleston but they seldom venture downtown apart from work. About the only place in downtown Huntington they go to is Red Lobster. Now, when my girlfriend and I go to the Huntington Mall, I can convince her to go a bit further and get something to eat in Huntington. She likes her suburbs and strip malls, and I'm slowly breaking her of that, to some degree. I'm from Parkersburg, so strip malls and such are just about all I know. Any semblance of a lively downtown is a breath of fresh air to me. That's why I'm so intrigued by Charleston and Huntington, besides the fact they are the largest cities in the state (disregarding my home of Morgantown with the students).

As for the combination of the cities, I believe that had to do with creating a metro government by combining Charleston, Huntington, and the counties in between into one Census designated region. I think Tim or someone had more info on that.

And the area code? 681 was implemented a few years ago, but they didn't do the sensible thing by splitting the state into two regions, but those who get a new phone number can get the new area code. There's no real rhyme or reason to it and after 5 years since its inception, I've never dialed that area code.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,464,116 times
Huntington has more upside than Charleston, and the reason is its location as a transport hub on the Ohio River. That will provide it with many good paying jobs. The clerical jobs in banking and state government are notoriously poorly paid.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,297,438 times
Xmurdok, the US Census dicised got to merge the Huntington-Charleston metros in the 2010 census report due to a hill west of Nitro being too sparsely populated. Instead in a controversial move, they re-assigned Teays Valley to the Huntington MSA. So, Charleston ended up losing an area of about 30k and Huntington gained that population despite what commuting and consumer trends indicated.

Also, yes Teays Valley did really grow in the 90's. It went from a rural county of under 42k people to almost 60k folks in a twenty year period. Now development is focused along the new route 35 and towards Winfield area.

Putnam County is the second-fastest growing region of WV, following the sections of the Eastern Panhandle that are near DC.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Xmurdok, the US Census dicised got to merge the Huntington-Charleston metros in the 2010 census report due to a hill west of Nitro being too sparsely populated. Instead in a controversial move, they re-assigned Teays Valley to the Huntington MSA. So, Charleston ended up losing an area of about 30k and Huntington gained that population despite what commuting and consumer trends indicated.

Also, yes Teays Valley did really grow in the 90's. It went from a rural county of under 42k people to almost 60k folks in a twenty year period. Now development is focused along the new route 35 and towards Winfield area.

Putnam County is the second-fastest growing region of WV, following the sections of the Eastern Panhandle that are near DC.
Not to be corrective, but Putnam is growing although, percentage wise, it is pretty far down the list. There are several counties that have had substantially more population growth in the past decade. Federal MSA statistics seldom really make any sense. Where I'm sitting in Morgantown right now is 6 miles from the Pittsburgh MSA, and almost everyone in Point Marion works in Morgantown, but it is in a different MSA.

West Virginia Population Growth Rate by County

West Virginia Population Growth Rate County Rank

Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,297,438 times
My source words this as region and not county. I believe this is factoring in the Milton/Culloden areas that directly border Putnam. Now, that said, my source is only Wikipedia, however it states that Putnam County is the 2nd fastest "region" of growth in WV. It surprised me to read this as well, figuring NCWV would be 2nd. I guess it doesn't mean much because I think just about anyone can edit an entry with Wikipedia. But it's a fact that from Scott Depot to Merritt's Creek in Barboursville, you are looking at a 25 mile stretch that is seeing a decent amount of commercial and residential development.

http://http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putnam_County,_West_Virginia

I do agree that Morgantown is the fastest growing city in WV. That is clear!

Last edited by Silkdashocker; 01-05-2013 at 12:06 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
My source words this as region and not county. I believe this is factoring in the Milton/Culloden areas that directly border Putnam. Now, that said, my source is only Wikipedia, however it states that Putnam County is the 2nd fastest "region" of growth in WV. It surprised me to read this as well, figuring NCWV would be 2nd. I guess it doesn't mean much because I think just about anyone can edit an entry with Wikipedia. But it's a fact that from Scott Depot to Merritt's Creek in Barboursville, you are looking at a 25 mile stretch that is seeing a decent amount of commercial and residential development.

http://http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putnam_County,_West_Virginia

I do agree that Morgantown is the fastest growing city in WV. That is clear!
Putnam has seen amazing growth in the past several decades. My old college girlfriend was from Hurricane.
In the 60s, it was a one redlight town with a post office and a convenience store and not much else. Her father owned practically the whole downtown, and from her house you could literally go out the back door and go hunting, something I did with her brother. It's a bustling city now, no doubt about it.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:32 AM

4,152 posts, read 6,855,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Where did Charleston annex land before the census? I think you are referring to South Charleston which voted sometime this past summer to annex a subdivision or two off of Corridor G. I think at max we are talking about 45 houses and it wasn't even in Charleston proper nor before the 2010 census.

Either way I agree with you that annexation of unincorporated areas surrounding the cities is the way to go for future benefit..
I couldn't find anything official so you may be right. I remember hearing something about annexation though which resulted in the jump in population of almost 1,200 from the 2009 estimate to the 2010 census. It may have just been that the estimates were off though.

I looked for land area info from 2008 to see if there was anything to this and the only place I could find listed the area as 29.5 in 2008-09 while it is currently 31.6. I did see that they added a subdivision in 2007 and I know Charleston has annexed some of Corridor G too.

Like I said before though, I want to see both cities grow and not just through annexation. If these cities grow then the surrounding areas will grow as well.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 AM

4,979 posts, read 6,538,647 times
I believe Huntington has the potential to surpass Charleston within the next 5 years. Huntington has some what of an advantage with having Marshall growing, but I feel both cities are set for some growth over the next decade. Both have hit rock bottom, and are starting to rebound well. I know that here in Charleston and area, business growth has happened, which will eventially pay off with new hires.

Like most people have said, I want to see both cities grow. It would be cool to see our metro be combined, and become a smaller version of Dallas/Fort Worth with energy leading the way. Even if the region (Cabell, Kanawha, Putnam) has a somewhat loose metro government (as opposed to a total consolidation), I feel that the cities would benifit.

As for Putnam County, its amazing to see its growth over my life time. I remember when Hurricane had nothing as far as business goes except for a McDonalds, Rite Aid, and a few other stores.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 AM

27 posts, read 38,873 times
Interesting facts...
So... Like I have said in other posts, I have traveled a lot.
In many other areas when cities are close together, there will be the people trying to build between the two cities to save money, live in the burbs' etc.
But what normally tends to happen is that eventually the cities start wanting a piece of the pie..lol
And then they start trying to "take over" certain lands in the middle.
Funny, because even though it was a hurt to have the mall put in Barboursville at the time it was built,
it may actually end up in the long run to HELP Huntington and Charleston.
I had a friend from Pittsburgh tell me that when he came to visit in Huntington he was shocked at how much development was actually in between the two cities.lol
He said.. "I was driving in the desolate mountains for hours, and then after Charleston is was all city" lol
So, I am sorry to say, but I even remember that area (Putnam) being HALF as populated as it is now.
And if you take into consideration how the large cities of Wv have a reputation for declining population...
Putnam county is our "booming" area. lol
And yea, pretty much the entire area between Huntington and Charleston is growing up fast.
So, do any of you think that eventually it will just be totally land locked between the two cities?
BTW.. I totally agree about the area code thing.lol
It is funny though, because this girl was actually from Morgantown (new area code) haha
But yea, they should have had that structured better.
Put the new area code on Huntington/Charleston. and then leave the 304 the way it is.
It seems like they took the EASY ROUTE.lol "Ahh, just change it for new people"...

Old 01-06-2013, 03:32 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,101,193 times
Huntington is already bigger than Charleston.

Again the issue is the way population is counted. With Marshall University Huntington should have more residents than CharlestonHuntington also has half the land area of Charleston, but almost the same population, excluding Marshall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or