U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,097,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I believe Huntington has the potential to surpass Charleston within the next 5 years. Huntington has some what of an advantage with having Marshall growing, but I feel both cities are set for some growth over the next decade. Both have hit rock bottom, and are starting to rebound well. I know that here in Charleston and area, business growth has happened, which will eventially pay off with new hires.

Like most people have said, I want to see both cities grow. It would be cool to see our metro be combined, and become a smaller version of Dallas/Fort Worth with energy leading the way. Even if the region (Cabell, Kanawha, Putnam) has a somewhat loose metro government (as opposed to a total consolidation), I feel that the cities would benifit.

As for Putnam County, its amazing to see its growth over my life time. I remember when Hurricane had nothing as far as business goes except for a McDonalds, Rite Aid, and a few other stores.
The Dallas Ft. worth in the region for Shale is Pittsburgh. Charleston and Hungtington are too far from the wet shale, and in the wrong direction for the markets. Pittsburgh will become a big energy hub though, and hopefully Huntington can join in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Xmurdok, the US Census dicised got to merge the Huntington-Charleston metros in the 2010 census report due to a hill west of Nitro being too sparsely populated. Instead in a controversial move, they re-assigned Teays Valley to the Huntington MSA. So, Charleston ended up losing an area of about 30k and Huntington gained that population despite what commuting and consumer trends indicated.

Also, yes Teays Valley did really grow in the 90's. It went from a rural county of under 42k people to almost 60k folks in a twenty year period. Now development is focused along the new route 35 and towards Winfield area.

Putnam County is the second-fastest growing region of WV, following the sections of the Eastern Panhandle that are near DC.
Actually in 2012 Mon county was the fastest growing county in WV.

Census: Monongalia County now WV's fastest-growing county - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV

Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,296,055 times
Cry, you didn't clearly read my post or read my reply to CT. I'm not talking about county growth, it was mentioned as "region". And I already had stated I didnt exactly trust the source I cited anyways

Old 01-06-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Cry, you didn't clearly read my post or read my reply to CT. I'm not talking about county growth, it was mentioned as "region". And I already had stated I didnt exactly trust the source I cited anyways
I did, I was pointing out facts. If you dispute these facts please say so. If not then no need to get mad about the truth.

I also dont know why you would cite a source you dont trust. That would be like me going to an alien conspiracy site and saying, "well I dont really believe it but here is a source that proves aliens exist." I looked at wikipedia and nothing was there. Was there a citation related to your claim?

Old 01-06-2013, 04:46 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,296,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Count me as one of those. Grew up in Barboursville but moved to Huntington about 5 years ago. I love the convenience and the ability to walk to work and just about anywhere else. Plus, I've been able to be involved with the growth and changes here. I try to "be the change you want to see." When are you moving this way Silk?
Baby steps Tim..... Baby steps. Lol

I'm pretty happy where I'm at finally. But wouldn't mind living in the Barboursville area. That place is booming!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM

4,979 posts, read 6,535,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The Dallas Ft. worth in the region for Shale is Pittsburgh. Charleston and Hungtington are too far from the wet shale, and in the wrong direction for the markets. Pittsburgh will become a big energy hub though, and hopefully Huntington can join in.
I'm talking about two cities that are close enough to be considered the same metro and that feed off each others strengths like Dallas/Ft. Worth. And Charleston and Huntington are pretty much on the edge of the shale gas. We are already a major energy center as all of the natural gas and drilling companies have offices here. Pittsburgh will be the main center point, but Charleston and Huntington will be right in the thick of the action. Plus this area is getting a craker!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about two cities that are close enough to be considered the same metro and that feed off each others strengths like Dallas/Ft. Worth. And Charleston and Huntington are pretty much on the edge of the shale gas. We are already a major energy center as all of the natural gas and drilling companies have offices here. Pittsburgh will be the main center point, but Charleston and Huntington will be right in the thick of the action. Plus this area is getting a craker!
Huntington and Charleston are already like that, although on a MUCH smaller scale than Dallas and Ft. Worth.

However, these cities are not on the edge of the shale gas boom. Morgantown and Clarksburg are on the edge. Huntington and Charleston are a good distance from it. It will see some benefits sure, but so will the whole state. By thick, if you mean kinda close to the periphery, which in turn is close to the core, than I guess that is correct. The industry is really going to be a Northern WV thing, so dont expect Charleston to become some energy town like Houston, although Wheeling could become one, but for sure Huntington could capitalize on transportation of shale down the river.

If you are hoping that Charleston and Huntington will become a 10th of what Dallas and FT. worth you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:12 PM

27 posts, read 38,861 times
Apparently the Shale gas boom is actually a lot more productive than even preciously thought.
Sooo, we may actually start truly seeing some growth in West Virginia

I was downtown the other day (Huntington) and noticed even MORE buildings are being revitalized.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:16 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,458,293 times
Quote:
Xmurdok, the US Census dicised got to merge the Huntington-Charleston metros in the 2010 census report due to a hill west of Nitro being too sparsely populated. Instead in a controversial move, they re-assigned Teays Valley to the Huntington MSA. So, Charleston ended up losing an area of about 30k and Huntington gained that population despite what commuting and consumer trends indicated.

Also, yes Teays Valley did really grow in the 90's. It went from a rural county of under 42k people to almost 60k folks in a twenty year period. Now development is focused along the new route 35 and towards Winfield area.

Putnam County is the second-fastest growing region of WV, following the sections of the Eastern Panhandle that are near DC.
Silk, not to be argumentive, but the fastest growing part of our state is Monongalia County, with the Eastern Panhandle coming in a close second. Putnam lags way behind North Central and the Eastern Panhandle. For some time the EP was the fastest growing, and it is still in serious growth mode, but NCWV and Mon County in particular is where the action is today. The shale gas play will further push that along although the part of the state that will get the largest growth from that is the Northern Panhandle which has the largest quantities of valuable "wet" natural gas.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:21 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,458,293 times
Quote:
Charleston is on the edge of the methane "dry" part of the Marcellus field, but far removed from the wet gas. Huntington is not in play for Marcellus at all, but does have some deeper Utica dry gas. There is no place south of the Marshall - Wetzel county line that will see mega growth solely because of gas developments. There will be some growth south of there, but the further south you go from there the less growth you will see taking place. Huntington does, however, have significant potential to capitalize on the transport aspect of the gas fields. It is ideally situated to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or