Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:04 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Silk, not to be argumentive, but the fastest growing part of our state is Monongalia County, with the Eastern Panhandle coming in a close second. Putnam lags way behind North Central and the Eastern Panhandle. For some time the EP was the fastest growing, and it is still in serious growth mode, but NCWV and Mon County in particular is where the action is today. The shale gas play will further push that along although the part of the state that will get the largest growth from that is the Northern Panhandle which has the largest quantities of valuable "wet" natural gas.
From Cross Lanes to Barboursville is the 2nd fastest growing area in WV. While Mon County has seen considerable growth in Morgantown. Putnam County and its bordering communities are seeing a lot of business and residential growth over a pretty large area. The housing market here is once again hot as a pistol. And this growth is not just isolated to a medium size college town.

The EP is a faster growing area as a whole, than Morgantown. Just like the I-64 cooridor, the EP is seeing more growth than Morgantown over a larger area. Morgantown seems to be growing in its city limits and its immediate outskirts. While its neighboring cities seem to be either stagnant or in decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
When you consider Marshall and the fact that Huntigton has half as much land area as Charleston the Huntington area probably is already bigger than Charleston.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
From Cross Lanes to Barboursville is the 2nd fastest growing area in WV. While Mon County has seen considerable growth in Morgantown. Putnam County and its bordering communities are seeing a lot of business and residential growth over a pretty large area. The housing market here is once again hot as a pistol. And this growth is not just isolated to a medium size college town.

The EP is a faster growing area as a whole, than Morgantown. Just like the I-64 cooridor, the EP is seeing more growth than Morgantown over a larger area. Morgantown seems to be growing in its city limits and its immediate outskirts. While its neighboring cities seem to be either stagnant or in decline.
The Huntington area isnt really growing, it mostly stagnant. For the last few years it had VERY small growth, almost stagnant. EP is the fastest growing area outside of Mon and Morgantown. Putnam has some small growth that has slowed down a lot in the last few years.

Your post is also plain wrong. Mon county is the fastest growing county in WV, right now, more than any EP county. Most of the growth is actually outside of Morgantown. Morgantown cant grow much more unless it incorporates other areas as it is only 10 square miles, his hilly, and has a huge university. Over the last 10 years the EP has probably grown the most, although Mon grew by alot, but over the last 2 years Morgantown has been growing the fastest.

Yeah, the whole EP, which includes several counties does probably have more growth than the 10 square miles of Morgantown. What a great comparison.

I realize you are upset that your area is stagnant after decades of population loss, while Morgantown and Mon County are growing very fast, but that is no reason to spin things and make things up. As Morgantown grows the revenue from its growth will help Huntington and Charleston.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 08-21-2013 at 06:13 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 PM

I'm not spinning anything. It seems that you and CT are disputing that Putnam County is growing slower than Mon Co. And I agree with you.

However, you are both changing the argument from what I originally stated and I don't understand how you both missed that. The area from Cross Lanes to Barboursville is the 2nd fastest growing area in WV. Multiple municipalities here, all see increase in population and business.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not spinning anything. It seems that you and CT are disputing that Putnam County is growing slower than Mon Co. And I agree with you.

However, you are both changing the argument from what I originally stated and I don't understand how you both missed that. The area from Cross Lanes to Barboursville is the 2nd fastest growing area in WV. Multiple municipalities here, all see increase in population and business.
Yes, it is growing much slower.

Please show the source for your claim and please dont use that blurb from that real estate company from 2011 that states this without giving any growth rate, what the area is, or what it compares to in an attempt to sell houses.

Quote:
Teays Valley, Winfield and Hurricane make up the three major communities of Putnam County, WV. The area is largely unincorporated and is the second-fastest growing region in West Virginia.
That is an unsourced claim that takes 3 unincorporated areas and just combines them, and then makes this claim without providing any sources. It is made up material for a real estate website, but if you have a source go for it.

*EDIT* The real estate website was using unsourced claim on wikipedia that was removed for being inaccurate, not having a source, and being irrelevant. It actually goes all the way back to 2005.

I really hope Silk is not spending his time trying to find a source for this claim. It is actually wikipedia vandalism that real estate companies are using.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=492297556

Last edited by cry_havoc; 08-21-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 PM

Hey, you stole my source! Now I have to scour the interwebs to find new supporting evidence. Thanks a lot

Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Hey, you stole my source! Now I have to scour the interwebs to find new supporting evidence. Thanks a lot
Dont bother I found where it comes from.

A wikipedia editor in 2005 put that in the Putnam wikipedia article. It stayed there for a few years until someone realized it had no source.

Putnam County, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Silk, c'mon. You complain about my sources when I use gallup then you cite this?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 PM

Hey, I thought Wiki was the shizzle dizzle. But now that thought has sizzled. I guess it was edited this spring when the new census designations were made and swung Putnam to Hntn-Ash metro.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Hey, I thought Wiki was the shizzle dizzle. But now that thought has sizzled. I guess it was edited this spring when the new census designations were made and swung Putnam to Hntn-Ash metro.
That comment had no source. Even before the census it was bad info. You cant make a claim on wikipedia without a source. Wikipedia is not always accurate with sources, depends on the source, but if there is no source it is up in the air.

Wikipedia is pretty accurate on many topics. Putnam county just doesnt get a lot of attention. I could probably sneak in a false claim about Hurricane WV and have it remain for awhile as long as it wasnt too obvious since it is hurricane WV. Try that with a more watched subject and it will be caught in seconds.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:07 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Putnam is showing some growth, but there is no doubt the fastest growing part of West Virginia is Monongalia County, and the second fastest growing is Berkeley-Jefferson counties in the Eastern Panhandle. Putnam would rank 3rd. Cabell is basically stagnant and Kanawha is declining although the city of Charleston seems to have stabilized.

The thing you are mostly seeing in that whole region of the state is people shuffling from other areas to Putnam County. Putnam's gain is Kanawha and Cabell's loss. That is not happening here or in the Eastern Panhandle. Growth in these places actually represents net gains for those regions. I realize that the Toyota plant is adding 80 jobs in the near future, but that is miniscule compared with growth trends here and in Berkeley-Jefferson.

Silk, I want to provide one other small correction to what you said. Morgantown is growing, that is true, but the real growth around here is in the areas surrounding Morgantown rather then in the city limits. Our city is small geographically, and much of it is occupied by a large University and health services organizations. Most of the growth is in areas adjacent to, but outside the city.
This past year Mon County passed up Cabell in population and in economic activity. Berkeley-Jefferson has done that too. In terms of what happens within county limits, Kanawha (like 3 counties geographically) is still the leader but it is losing ground quickly. It is the areas near the large cities that clearly show the most growth potential. Companies are starting to locate here and developments are taking place in spite of what seems like a subtle state government attempt to retard our progress. There is just so much potential here it can not be ignored. I'm not saying that to rag on Charleston or Huntington either. Unfortunately those areas are somewhat disadvantaged by a number of factors, and having a largely manufacturing background while being relatively remote, they struggle to just maintain the status quo.

I do believe that Huntington shows great promise in the transportation sector though, and will see growth as a result of that.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 09-02-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington