U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 PM

27 posts, read 38,900 times

Advertisements

I was doing some research online...
I noticed something very interesting.

The population of Huntington is actually starting to INCREASE!

If you look... While Charleston is having a fast decline in population...
Huntington is starting to actually have an increase in population.

Most businesses will usually put a new location in the largest populated city first.

Huntington is only building more and more, and I honestly think that we will surpuss Charleston.

It will be nice to be living in the largest city in the state for a change, huh? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 PM

1,814 posts, read 3,302,684 times
There is a good chance of that happening in the next few years. The only I stickler I can see preventing this from happening would be further annexation by Charleston.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,800,128 times
It's an interesting subject. First off, both Charleston and Huntington have been in decline since the 1960s and both are seeing population stabilizations. Huntington grew by an estimated 0.2% while Charleston lost a few people at a -0.4% rate. To say that Huntington is growing is true, but Charleston has stabilized more or less, and is poised to start growing once again.

I think Huntington has a chance to surpass Charleston this decade, but long term, I think Charleston will make a rebound and maintain the lead. Huntington will build off the wild success it has had with the revitalization of its downtown. There's obviously the effect of Marshall. Also, the new mayor has a great zeal to grow the city economically and I'm sure the city will see great things to come.

Charleston will always be helped by the fact it is the governmental and financial center of WV. It is taking a bit slower to recover as it doesn't have a large University to help it, but it will get there. The fact that it is over 80% larger in area than Huntington means there is simply more places for people to move, so there's that.

Ideally, I would love to see Charleston and Huntington at 100k and 80k respectively, but my prediction is that, in a couple of decades, they will be sitting around 70k and 65k respectively, sans any major annexation efforts.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,866,822 times
There is definitely a chance when you look at the stats. Charleston's 2010 numbers are slightly mileading as they did annex some land right before the census, helping to keep them from falling blow 50,000. I agree with Silk and I think Charleston will annex more land in an attempt to prevent this though. Here's an article from this past summer talking about population growth.

Huntington remains W.Va.'s second-largest city - The Herald Dispatch

I would like to see Huntingon annex the land from Arlington Blvd to the new Huntington East middle. This would give some population gain but the biggest plus would be the annexation of Wal-Mart. The revenue from the 1% sales tax alone would be huge to the city and would give a big boost to the retail numbers in the city. This would also allow further growth through more revenue. It would be nice to take back the largest city designation again.

Bottom line though, I want to see both grow because that is good for the state. That will be even better if they can do so through cooperation. This goes back to the moniker of competition breeds success and if both cities use the #1 designation to push each other and grow, then so be it.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 PM

Right..
I suppose something else I did not think about.. Was the simple fact of "Bottom Out" too.
I mean the fact is, at some point you will simply have no more people to lose. lol
Numbers can be misleading...
But simply based on the whole fact that Huntington is revitalizing, and promoting a lot more..?
Also, I have been meeting more people from Charleston when I go out and such.
It is starting to seem like many people are moving to Huntington from Charleston even, though.
Apparently our bars stay open a lot later. lol

Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 PM

1,814 posts, read 3,302,684 times
I know more people are moving to Teays Valley and Putnam County as a whole so that should lead to more people going to Barboursville and downtown Huntington, even if its just sporadically for a change of scene. My company is allowing us to work out o both cities offices right now so I have started working in Huntington and really like the options I have for food and entertainment in Huntington. With more people working in Huntington you will have more people looking for those types of services and maybe even more people choosing to relocate there to live.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,866,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
With more people working in Huntington you will have more people looking for those types of services and maybe even more people choosing to relocate there to live.
Count me as one of those. Grew up in Barboursville but moved to Huntington about 5 years ago. I love the convenience and the ability to walk to work and just about anywhere else. Plus, I've been able to be involved with the growth and changes here. I try to "be the change you want to see." When are you moving this way Silk?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 PM

OOOH yea.. that area around Teays/ Putnam is quite "booming" even.
In fact it was even featured on a "What can you get" (or something like that) cable television episode..
It was trying to compare prices from this part of the country to others.
Apparently you can get a brand new home MUCH cheaper here than almost anywhere else in the country. lol

Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 PM

Another thing...
Does anyone have any links or detailed info about how they were talking about combinding The two cities?
Maybe that is what you guys are talking about... not sure. I have been away a while..
But have they talked any more about that?
Just the other day a girl gave me her phone number.. apparently WV has a new area code now too. LOL
Strange, we were always the state that only had one area code...
But now we are no longer one of those states!!
SORRY Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming! Bahahaha!!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:19 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,339,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
There is definitely a chance when you look at the stats. Charleston's 2010 numbers are slightly mileading as they did annex some land right before the census, helping to keep them from falling blow 50,000. I agree with Silk and I think Charleston will annex more land in an attempt to prevent this though. Here's an article from this past summer talking about population growth.

Huntington remains W.Va.'s second-largest city - The Herald Dispatch

I would like to see Huntingon annex the land from Arlington Blvd to the new Huntington East middle. This would give some population gain but the biggest plus would be the annexation of Wal-Mart. The revenue from the 1% sales tax alone would be huge to the city and would give a big boost to the retail numbers in the city. This would also allow further growth through more revenue. It would be nice to take back the largest city designation again.

Bottom line though, I want to see both grow because that is good for the state. That will be even better if they can do so through cooperation. This goes back to the moniker of competition breeds success and if both cities use the #1 designation to push each other and grow, then so be it.
Where did Charleston annex land before the census? I think you are referring to South Charleston which voted sometime this past summer to annex a subdivision or two off of Corridor G. I think at max we are talking about 45 houses and it wasn't even in Charleston proper nor before the 2010 census.

Either way I agree with you that annexation of unincorporated areas surrounding the cities is the way to go for future benefit..

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 01-04-2013 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or