Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times

Advertisements

If you look at the bridges they recently replaced toward Kenova, they made them 2 lane only with no real room for expansion. I'd say West Huntington will be the end of 6 lanes as you all are suggesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,147,712 times
I agree about it will probably be a while before I-64 is expanded to 6 lanes between Barboursville and Hurricane. After the work between the Hal Greer and 29th street exits is completed, I hope the next expansion is from 29th street to the Huntington Mall exit. Those 2 areas seem to be the most in need for the area right now.

Speaking of the Huntington Mall exit, I hope when it comes time to expand I-64 and the bridge over the East Mall Road is replaced, that the state, county, B'ville or anyone else that may be involved, expand East Mall road to 6 lanes because the way the road is now, when it goes under the I-64 bridge it is a bottle neck.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times
They actually expanded Mall Road when they re-did everything a few years ago and added the extra exit at that time as well. I'm not sure they could expand it anymore without some significant re-working. It would be a good idea though.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,147,712 times
I was thinking that the small I-64 bridge that goes over East Mall Road, the older, original Mall Road, would have to be made longer, with one single concrete pier in the middle, between both directions of traffic most likely with a concrete median barrier. That way there could be 3 lanes each way.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:44 AM

45 posts, read 75,263 times
is this work complete yet? I have yet to see anything that says all is finished.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4htown View Post
is this work complete yet? I have yet to see anything that says all is finished.
They're replacing the guardrail in that section now. Once they finish that, the project will finally be complete.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 AM

how about I-64 from US 60 to Hal Greer, is that completed yet as well?
Thanks

Old 06-24-2015, 08:31 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4htown View Post
how about I-64 from US 60 to Hal Greer, is that completed yet as well?
Thanks
That's the overall project (assuming you mean the 29th Street exit). Once they're done with the guardrails, presumably in the next couple of weeks, it will be six lanes from the 29th Street exit to Hal Greer.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:31 AM

OK thanks. Now I wonder if they will begin to do work through 5th street to the west Huntington bridge exit and the other way to the Mall exits. It all needs to be done and upgraded. the small connector to the Prichard area should be a #1 priority as well. BTW has the Ballard's plant in Wayne been rebuilt? I was wondering if any Huntington property owners reached out to them with a deal to move to Huntington after the fire there if not shame on them all!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:44 PM

530 posts, read 589,259 times
I-64 certainly needs to be widened to six lanes in the areas mentioned, especially near the Barboursville and Mall exits and I think this is part of a long-term plan for widening all the way to the KY state line in the future. However, I feel confident that this will not happen until Congress passes a long-term Highways Bill. Currently, the Highway Trust Fund is scheduled to run out of funds the end of July. Congress supposedly is working on a long-term (5-6 year transportation bill) solution, but I'm not holding my breath. Regarding the connector for the Prichard Intermodal Gateway, I feel that the state should use the Public-Private Partnership option (such as they are for the final 14-mile widening to 4-lanes of US-35) and make it a top priority to hopefully get it completed much more quickly than relying on federal funds to be appropriated in the immediate future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington