U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,106,333 times
Reputation: 1758

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Stating the truth isn't a personal attack.
I know and that is why you should not resort to personal attacks against me when I state the truth. I know it upsets you but it is not my intention to do so.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM
 
1,353 posts, read 1,260,037 times
Reputation: 389
I didn't personally attack you or anyone else. Also, you don't upset me. Sorry to disappoint.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,106,333 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I didn't personally attack you or anyone else. Also, you don't upset me. Sorry to disappoint.
It is all you have been doing when I presented information you couldn't refute that proved you and Tim were wrong.

Like I said it was not my intention to upset you or Tim. I merely had to state the truth. I am sorry you found the truth dissappointing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 AM
 
1,353 posts, read 1,260,037 times
Reputation: 389
So when someone disagrees with you or something you say, that means they are personally attacking you? Wow. You need to grow a tougher skin.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 AM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,106,333 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
So when someone disagrees with you or something you say, that means they are personally attacking you? Wow. You need to grow a tougher skin.
No when I state facts and you resort to attacking the character, being rude, and using insults it is personal attacks. You need to stop throwing a childish fit and stop doing this.

I am sorry you were proven wrong but next time try to actually make a real argument and use real proof instead of resorting to personal attacks and fallacies.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 08:16 AM
 
1,353 posts, read 1,260,037 times
Reputation: 389
I went back and reviewed this entire thread and I wasn't rude and I didn't use an insult of any kind toward anyone.

Perhaps you need to go back and review the thread as well otherwise your post could be seen as lying.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,106,333 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I went back and reviewed this entire thread and I wasn't rude and I didn't use an insult of any kind toward anyone.

Perhaps you need to go back and review the thread as well otherwise your post could be seen as lying.
If you did so then you lack the reading and communication skills to see that you were.

Look it is not a big deal. it is just a suggestion for the future to make things more civil and help you out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM
 
1,353 posts, read 1,260,037 times
Reputation: 389
Thanks for the advice. I will make a deal with you, if you will improve the attitude you display here on the message boards and be more civil to everyone, I will do the same.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
10,302 posts, read 10,396,911 times
Reputation: 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
No one claimed this was going to make some huge difference for Huntington. It was just noted as a positive that could have some positive effects.

Still waiting for the links to those other "facts" for you to refute the facts and expert analysis presented earlier. It has also been shown that businesses do use MSA information. If you aren't an MSA, you don't exist to most businesses as there will be no data available for them to look at. Show us an article that proves otherwise as a reference to your assertion. I've backed up mine, now it's your turn.
Certainly it will have some positive effect. You have presented facts backed up by data and links to credible sources. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I never said the census was made up. Please quit attributing quotes to me that I did not say. I do not appreciate it and ask you to stop.

I made the initial statement of MSA benefit so here's proof. It comes from the WVU report profiling the new designation and all of the good it will do for Morgantown.

http://www.be.wvu.edu/bber/pdfs/BBER-2003-06.pdf

Now go ahead and tell us they didn't really mean it though.
Well, if the source is WVU, it MUST be true and accurate. Actually, most any college level institution does dome kind of research and statistical analysis for the community that supports them. The truth is that "university research" is generally accepted as a benchmark of truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I actually said:

See, the "you may think" was in reference to what CT said, not my opinion. For someone so smart, you wouldn't think I'd have to explain that to you.

The business report from WVU was based on solid data and study, unlike your flawed opinion. Here is the data from the following years that supports the assertion from that report:

http://www.be.wvu.edu/bber/pdfs/BBER-2007-04.pdf
Are you trying to confuse the argument with facts? I read your post and had no trouble understanding your reference to CT's opinion that the data is arbitrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
No, the census is a collection of data. Nothing made up about it.

The initial article was by someone with a PhD in business and economics talking about the expected benefit of MSA designation. The second source showed that the expected results happened. Pretty simple. Do you have a PhD after your name and know more than that guy?

Please show us this "real data" that you used.
The Census Bureau uses REAL data, and they publish the raw numbers so that anybody can see how their conclusions match of with the raw data they collect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Laws are "made up.". County lines are "made up." City limits are "made up." Nearly all data exists within a framework that is "made up" by limitations set forth through a committee of individuals. If that makes it unreliable then our entire society would collapse. Thankfully it doesn't make it unreliable, at least to those capable of critical thinking.

I've proven my assertions with links to back them up. All you've done is given us more of your own lies, rhetoric and "bovine feces." Do you have links to info other than your own opinion to refute the data and expectations from the economic reports authored by a reliable source, someone with a PhD in business and economics?

I've given proof, now it's up to you to refute it with facts and references to those facts. It's called point-counterpoint.

The editorial linked in the first page of this thread talks about how the new designation will likely benefit Huntington. That benefit is in the future though and I don't have a crystal ball to show you those benefits. That's why they call them projections or expectations.
Those city, county and state lines are what the Census Bureau uses to make projections about the MSA regions across the country. Anything unreliable about them is equally unreliable for the entire country, si it probably evens out anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Really? Laws don't change every year? Then why do we have multiple legislative sessions on the state and national level to make new laws every year? I guess laws are "meaningless" according to you. You really keep hurting yourself by continuing to post.

I proved my claim. It is you who have failed to make a counterpoint with any real substance to it. You have nothing other than your extremely flawed and biased opinion. I feel sorry for you.
You've done a good job in finding the concrete evidence to back up the positions taken in the editorial. You've done so even with 3-4 pages of non-substantive arguments and kept your cool doing it. It's too bad we don't have a moderator to remove all the junk from this thread so future readers wouldn't have to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I only see proof and evidence from bailey, nothing from havoc. Good going bailey.
What aeros said.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 11:11 AM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,106,333 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I will make a deal with you, if you will improve the attitude you display here on the message boards and be more civil to everyone, I will do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Certainly it will have some positive effect. You have presented facts backed up by data and links to credible sources. Good job.



Well, if the source is WVU, it MUST be true and accurate. Actually, most any college level institution does dome kind of research and statistical analysis for the community that supports them. The truth is that "university research" is generally accepted as a benchmark of truth.



Are you trying to confuse the argument with facts? I read your post and had no trouble understanding your reference to CT's opinion that the data is arbitrary.



The Census Bureau uses REAL data, and they publish the raw numbers so that anybody can see how their conclusions match of with the raw data they collect.



Those city, county and state lines are what the Census Bureau uses to make projections about the MSA regions across the country. Anything unreliable about them is equally unreliable for the entire country, si it probably evens out anyway.



You've done a good job in finding the concrete evidence to back up the positions taken in the editorial. You've done so even with 3-4 pages of non-substantive arguments and kept your cool doing it. It's too bad we don't have a moderator to remove all the junk from this thread so future readers wouldn't have to see it.



What aeros said.
That fact remains that the census is just made up nonsense.

All the rest of his claims in regards to the benefits are unproven.

He did prove there is no consistency and they could change the criteria however and whenever they want for whatever reason. He did do a great job showing this and I am willing to admit this. However, outside of that everything is just an unfounded opinion he has that is not supported by any proof only an opinion piece that has no data behind it.

I am willing to take him seriously when he provides proof. Until then he is just making up assumptions and believing they are true despite no evidence that it is so.

If you want to believe it that is your choice but the fact remains that what he is saying cannot stand up to even a little scrunity.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top