U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 PM

941 posts, read 1,050,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

You obviously have no clue how companies look at areas. MSA is rather irrelevant.
Obviously, that isn't the only criterion or even the most important but many companies do consider it as a representative of the area of influence , which it is. Maybe I didn't convey that well.

Also, please don't say that I know nothing or even very little about how companies look at areas. I very much do. I do not appreciate how you said that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,097,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Obviously, that isn't the only criterion or even the most important but many companies do consider it as a representative of the area of influence , which it is. Maybe I didn't convey that well.

Also, please don't say that I know nothing or even very little about how companies look at areas. I very much do. I do not appreciate how you said that at all.
You strike me as a smart person. However, MSA is rather irrelevant, due to the fact that there is no consistency and it changes every few years based off the goal of the agency.

It could be considered if they wanted to make it consistent, or at least require it to use a consistent logic.

Again companies use their own research. MSA is irrelevant. They look at the actual area, the real numbers and not where the government draws imaginary boundaries. Let's say if the government made it so an area in another state is no longer part of an MSA. COmpanies arent going to stop ignoring Ohio across the river from Huntington. Likewise companies in Charleston are not going to consider Charleston less desirable because Hurricane which is 15 minutes away changed MSAs.

Only a poorly run company that doesnt know what they are doing would rely on this.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,852,052 times
You are right PynballWyzrd, companies do look at MSA info to make a decision on where to locate. When looking to locate in a state, that info is often the first info they look at, where the MSAs are what their size is and if their needs can be met there. It may only be census info but they also use it to look at economic data when they do the economic census which is based on MSA borders. Those are the numbers companies use for their research. Real growth or not, the Huntington MSA just gained 77,000 people and is the largest MSA with a core city in the state. The reality is, it puts us in a pretty good place to capitalize on future growth.

It's a pretty easy concept to understand but some who think they are intellectual giants on here are more like intellectual midgets and they seem to have a difficult time understanding these simple concepts. Especially when they are positive for areas other than their own.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
You are right PynballWyzrd, companies do look at MSA info to make a decision on where to locate. When looking to locate in a state, that info is often the first info they look at, where the MSAs are what their size is and if their needs can be met there. It may only be census info but they also use it to look at economic data when they do the economic census which is based on MSA borders. Those are the numbers companies use for their research. Real growth or not, the Huntington MSA just gained 77,000 people and is the largest MSA with a core city in the state. The reality is, it puts us in a pretty good place to capitalize on future growth.

It's a pretty easy concept to understand but some who think they are intellectual giants on here are more like intellectual midgets and they seem to have a difficult time understanding these simple concepts. Especially when they are positive for areas other than their own.
Thank you for the support. I really appreciate it.

Is there any way possible that this North-South bickering can be stopped or at least controlled?
It is honestly is ruining my experience on these forums. I would much rather talk about WV as a whole and not regionalize. Maybe we can have a thread set up specifically for this purpose and revert all North-South convos to it?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
You are right PynballWyzrd, companies do look at MSA info to make a decision on where to locate. When looking to locate in a state, that info is often the first info they look at, where the MSAs are what their size is and if their needs can be met there.

Yeah Tim you would know. I am sure this is based off actual knowledge and not just something you just made up right now.

The funny thing is if the Census decreased Huntington by 30,000 you would be saying the exact opposite thing.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Thank you for the support. I really appreciate it.

Is there any way possible that this North-South bickering can be stopped or at least controlled?
It is honestly is ruining my experience on these forums. I would much rather talk about WV as a whole and not regionalize. Maybe we can have a thread set up specifically for this purpose and revert all North-South convos to it?
No problem! I for one am glad to have you here as you add a lot to the forum. With regards to the bickering, believe it or not it was much worse. A certain poster involved in this thread was hijacking other threads so bad that they had to create the city forums we have now. That has been his only positive contribution here. Unfortunately, he continues to hijack threads he has no connection to or knowledge of and continues to show himself and degrade these forums,bringing down the image of our state in the process. Don't let him dissuade you from posting here though. If everyone would promote the state through promoting their own area that they have knowledge of, we would have a nice little forum here.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Yeah Tim you would know. I am sure this is based off actual knowledge and not just something you just made up right now.

The funny thing is if the Census decreased Huntington by 30,000 you would be saying the exact opposite thing.
Actually it is based off knowledge. You might try basing some of your posts on knowledge and fact as well. It makes posts much more useful and helpful to others!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Actually it is based off knowledge. You might try basing some of your posts on knowledge and fact as well. It makes posts much more useful and helpful to others!
My post are based off knowledge instead of blindly trying to boost Huntington. Your post in regard to Huntington are ALWAYS to either promote or go into damage control when it is shown bad.

I have never seen anything like it. It is like you are a salesman but you are trying to make Huntington look good. I have no clue why. However, it makes all your post about Huntington not helpful to anyone seeking objective information about Huntington it is all propaganda.

You should go work for North Korea.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
No problem! I for one am glad to have you here as you add a lot to the forum. With regards to the bickering, believe it or not it was much worse. A certain poster involved in this thread was hijacking other threads so bad that they had to create the city forums we have now. That has been his only positive contribution here. Unfortunately, he continues to hijack threads he has no connection to or knowledge of and continues to show himself and degrade these forums,bringing down the image of our state in the process. Don't let him dissuade you from posting here though. If everyone would promote the state through promoting their own area that they have knowledge of, we would have a nice little forum here.
Exactly! We don't want people reading the forums and seeing all the bickering. I know I had a friend from out of state read some and he said he wouldn't trust most of what is said on here. Why? Because the views are so conflicting. Someone must be full of it, but who?

Thanks for the nice word btw

Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:

You should go work for North Korea.
That was out of line and I'm sorry but you are being hypocritical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington