U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,133,097 times
Reputation: 1758

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
No problem! I for one am glad to have you here as you add a lot to the forum. With regards to the bickering, believe it or not it was much worse. A certain poster involved in this thread was hijacking other threads so bad that they had to create the city forums we have now. That has been his only positive contribution here. Unfortunately, he continues to hijack threads he has no connection to or knowledge of and continues to show himself and degrade these forums,bringing down the image of our state in the process. Don't let him dissuade you from posting here though. If everyone would promote the state through promoting their own area that they have knowledge of, we would have a nice little forum here.
there was quite a few posters like this. Fortunately many of them have left when they realized they would now meet actual knowledge. Most of the anti-Morgantown crowd who always hijacked threads are gone.

Now we need to more honest about areas. Be honest about both the good, the bad, and the irrelevant (like the MSA) in these forums and then the regionalism will disappear.

So I propose a new start. You stop blindly promoting Huntington and become honest about it, as well as stop bashing NCWV and ill work on ignoring the flaws of Huntington and pointing them out less. Although this is kinda not fair since it involves you being more honest and me suppressing the truth. I am willing to do it though.

Tbailey I dont tell the truth to make Huntington look bad. It is just some people use this forum to make important decisions. I dont feel you are always honest about the information you provide. I have recommended Huntington to several posters when they explained what they wanted in a town or their situation, and I know you have seen this. But you need to face up to the fact that Huntington at its height was a small blue collar city, that now is rust belt, lost half its population, has high unemployment, is one of the most obese places in the country, and is the most depressed place, mentally, in the country. For some people this is not an ideal place, but they wouldnt know this from talking to you.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 03-21-2013 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,133,097 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Exactly! We don't want people reading the forums and seeing all the bickering. I know I had a friend from out of state read some and he said he wouldn't trust most of what is said on here. Why? Because the views are so conflicting. Someone must be full of it, but who?

Thanks for the nice word btw
I wouldnt trust anything either.

Some posters blidnly promote areas. They will either not bring up, deny, or lie about certain negative things while over exaggerating, lying, or makign up the good. Some people want neutral objective information and not just sales pitch from local residents who either only tell the positives, exaggerate them, make them up and downplay, deny, or lie about the negatives.

Is there something wrong with giving people accurate information, or at least a second opinion when they are given information from people with an agenda?

Last edited by cry_havoc; 03-21-2013 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,165 posts, read 6,890,262 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Exactly! We don't want people reading the forums and seeing all the bickering. I know I had a friend from out of state read some and he said he wouldn't trust most of what is said on here. Why? Because the views are so conflicting. Someone must be full of it, but who?

Thanks for the nice word btw
In general, the people who live in an area know it best. That is why if people would promote the state through promoting their area, it would be most effective. Some want the positive spotlight all to themselves though and when someone else takes some of that positive attention, they do everything they can to belittle or downplay that positive and attempt to cast it in a negative light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,133,097 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
That was out of line and I'm sorry but you are being hypocritical.
No, it is pretty accurate. I would trust the North Korean government about the state of their country than I would information about Huntington from certain posters.

There goals are the same. Real information is irrelevant. It is about trying to look good instead of giving accurate information.

People use this forum to make important decisions. Decisions about their lives. I am trying to give them accurate information when they are given certain incorrect information from city boosters. I have recommended Huntington to several people looking to move WV. Instead of always blindly recommending an area I ask them what they are looking for, their situation, etc. I then make a recommendation. Based off criteria I will recommend Huntington.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 03-21-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,133,097 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
In general, the people who live in an area know it best. That is why if people would promote the state through promoting their area, it would be most effective. Some want the positive spotlight all to themselves though and when someone else takes some of that positive attention, they do everything they can to belittle or downplay that positive and attempt to cast it in a negative light.
People maybe, one person no. That is a huge fallacy. One person who lives in an area, especially one who promotes an agenda is not real reliable.

It is similar to the argument, "I live here so I must be right." It is an appeal to (false) authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,165 posts, read 6,890,262 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
there was quite a few posters like this. Fortunately many of them have left when they realized they would now meet actual knowledge. Most of the anti-Morgantown crowd who always hijacked threads are gone.

Now we need to more honest about areas. Be honest about both the good, the bad, and the irrelevant (like the MSA) in these forums and then the regionalism will disappear.

So I propose a new start. You stop blindly promoting Huntington and become honest about it, as well as stop bashing NCWV and ill work on ignoring the flaws of Huntington and pointing them out less. Although this is kinda not fair since it involves you being more honest and me suppressing the truth. I am willing to do it though.
The Huntington forum is here for the promotion of Huntington. I will continue to use it for what it is for. I always attempt to address the good and the bad of the area but I have the ability to analyze that data rather than blindly looking at the headline as you do. I have no agenda other than to promote the area I love living in. It's not like I get paid to do this.

And you are the one on this forum most guilty of what you accused me of. The main difference is that I don't hijack Morgantown threads to point out all of the negatives you all conveniently leave out. Even though you do this frequently, just as you are now. This thread is about the Huntington MSA. You already have the other thread to decry the injustices of the Census Bureau and their conspiracies to show favoritism. Please stop hijacking this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,165 posts, read 6,890,262 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
People maybe, one person no. That is a huge fallacy. One person who lives in an area, especially one who promotes an agenda is not real reliable.

It is similar to the argument, "I live here so I must be right." It is an appeal to (false) authority.
So the better argument is "I've driven through the area and read some articles so now I'm an expert!" That's great logic! So no one with any real knowledge of something can speak on it? Lets ask all of the people who don't have a clue because they should know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,133,097 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
So the better argument is "I've driven through the area and read some articles so now I'm an expert!" That's great logic! So no one with any real knowledge of something can speak on it? Lets ask all of the people who don't have a clue because they should know!
No, the better argument is, "here are the actual facts and situation lets look at them."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,133,097 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The Huntington forum is here for the promotion of Huntington. I will continue to use it for what it is for. I always attempt to address the good and the bad of the area but I have the ability to analyze that data rather than blindly looking at the headline as you do. I have no agenda other than to promote the area I love living in. It's not like I get paid to do this.

And you are the one on this forum most guilty of what you accused me of. The main difference is that I don't hijack Morgantown threads to point out all of the negatives you all conveniently leave out. Even though you do this frequently, just as you are now. This thread is about the Huntington MSA. You already have the other thread to decry the injustices of the Census Bureau and their conspiracies to show favoritism. Please stop hijacking this thread.
No it is NOT for the promotion of Huntington. It is a place where people go to ask for accurate and truthful information about Huntington. It is a place where people go to discuss real and honest things about Huntington. It is not designed to be a place where you are supposed to blindly pitch Huntington.

You dont look at the bad. You downplay it, deny it, or lie about it. You exaggerate or make up the good. You have admitted this.

My goal is not to promote or make any area look bad. I want to give people accurate information.


The methodology of the census, how it changes every year, etc is related and relevant to the Huntington MSA. You were the one who hijacked this thread when you stopped discussing the census and the MSA and started to make strawman arguments and personal attacks against me.

There is no conspiracy with the census. However, YOUR own link showed that there is NO consistent criteria or methodology to the census and it can change however they want whenever they want. YOU provided this information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2013, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Ohio
1,268 posts, read 587,411 times
Reputation: 1460
Since that has been settled, we now must turn attention to the obviously flawed information that purports that the Ivy League Universities are schools with more academic rigor than WVU. It is simply another conspiracy of national proportions supported by useless fact and data that can be manipulated.

(These are actual strawman and hasty generalization fallacies similar to those which permeate the posts of Cry Havoc. I wanted to provide examples to better facilitate his ability to distinguish actual literary fallacies in the future.)

Hear is the truth:

NCWV, Charleston, and Huntington all have laudable attributes, but no argument will alter facts. As hard as you try, the census is an official, decennial, constitutionally mandated snapshot regarding the population. The methodology is defined at the start of the data collection independent of results--not altered after on a national level to make Huntington look larger. Census data are an essential part of business strategy and planning. It is a tool utilized by corporations for social science purposes, economic data, and as the foundation of customized reports on a specific area of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top