U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
As it stands per the source we have it is all made up and can change whenever they want however they want. Made up nonsense by the government is not going to help Huntington business wise.

I appreciate the long post, but it is a lot of fluff and no substance.

You are not even trying. I can tell you put in a lot of time, but lots of nonsense doesnt make you any more convincing.

Come back when you have something. As it stands Tbailey proved it was nonsense a long time ago and that is where we are. Your take on things is irrelevant.

PLEASE STOP!!!!!! You are making a mockery of Morgantown and WVU. It's over, you got schooled, this dog isn't going to hunt. So please just LET IT GO!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,102,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUGirl09 View Post
PLEASE STOP!!!!!! You are making a mockery of Morgantown and WVU. It's over, you got schooled, this dog isn't going to hunt. So please just LET IT GO!
Oh wow another first time member coming in to comment about this thread. What a strange first post. It is almost like you have been following this thread. There has been a lot of new posters like this lately. When you stick around, accumulate some rep, and show some insight I might consider what you say.

Until then you added nothing to the conversation, other than being another suspicious new poster who has nothing to add.

If I didnt know better I might think someone is making multiple accounts.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,257,967 times
dsb62574, your last post contained a lot of good information. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM

10,279 posts, read 10,388,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUGirl09 View Post
Only one post and already been repped 9 times. This must be the new Queen Of The WV Forum!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 AM

9,402 posts, read 11,466,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
If you think the census is irrelevant to marketing and business strategy, I am positive Marshall University gave me a superior undergraduate business education that was reinforced by obtaining an MBA from Ohio State. Your personal attacks fall short with me--mostly because I realize you are ill informed and beholden to your inherent Appalachian culture of isolationism (even when discussing regional areas). As stated previously, much of WV has attributes that have a tremendous amount to offer. It is counter productive for any region to posture themselves as superior. The state, small cities, local areas, and all the institutions of higher learning are largely viewed as lagging nationally. Personally, I do not feel that is true, yet it does not change this reality. On a national forum read by outsiders, it might be a good idea to support one another.

As for the source offered by Tbailey, it was informative. When those with adequate levels of reading comprehension review the material, it is easy to discern that census methodology is determined PRIOR to implementation. Numbers and regions are not changed AFTER data is collected. This rules out the conspiracy of manipulation by politicians and the use of irrelevant counting methods (sorry South Park). I know you never actually expected anyone to read the data and hoped that a repetition of falsehood would render your opinion valid, yet critical evaluation is part of a public forum. I know I only have a degree from MU and tOSU (a REAL nationally ranked academic institution of higher learning), but these are basic skills. For your sake, I hope your education equipped you with the same tools. I have challenged you by utilizing the Socratic method and found your logic wanting. The answer is there for your understanding, but I will no longer engage you in discourse to facilitate your grasp of the material. To continue along this vein is disrespectful to the Huntington posters and readers of this thread.

For Huntington posters on the forum, I am sorry for hi-jacking a discussion meant for positive information regarding your area. Throughout West Virginia there are many wonderful people, places, and communities; it is disheartening to see some so consumed with perceived inferiority that they must malign members of their own populace. After reading this post and the other about the under educated people in Southern West Virginia by pseudo-intellectuals, I felt compelled to respond.

After my visit to Huntington this week, I think the area is on the right course for future growth and success. You truly have a nice community with a unique nostalgic charm that seamlessly blends the old and new. Since my days at Marshall, Huntington has changed tremendously. It was a pleasure to see the growth of my alma mater and experience the long forgotten hospitality of the citizens of Huntington and Charleston. As most of my ties to the community are gone and my career and family are demanding on my personal time, I rarely have the opportunity visit; however, myself and my family thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I hope Huntington continues to experience an economic resurgence, and I wish the best for your beautiful state. As Eleanor Roosevelt eloquently stated, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent". There is no reason for West Virginians to feel inferior--regardless of your location within the state's boundaries.
I'll simply put my 2 cents worth in here. I fully agree with you that we need to be pulling for each other here. At the same time I would be remiss if I didn't say in my own opinion the Bureau of Census uses often arbitrary and capricious methods for determining MSA composition. At times it is as though they choose which criteria to utilize depending on the whim of the moment (which leads me to believe it is quite possible there is a political component here). In addition to their largely arbitrary formulas, they also mostly fail to take into consideration proximity to other MSAs in their data. This is especially misleading when it comes to areas immediately adjacent to large city MSAs like what we have here in Morgantown (we are 6 miles from the Pittsburgh MSA here).

If you are going to compare MSAs (and I am not a proponent of doing that) one would think that a city designated as the focal point of a supposedly large MSA would have economic data that would support that assumption. Huntington is the focal point of that MSA, but Cabell's retail sales data indicates it is not larger than what we have here in Monongalia. That suggests to me that there is a lot of crossover here between supposedly different (but in reality homogenious) economic units that is not reflected in MSA data.
Since I have a degree from Marshall and did post grad at Ohio State too I can appreciate your erudite opinion. I hope you can see the logic in my perspective.

MSAs might not be reliable indicators, but they are somewhat important ones. They are utilized by the politically charged government agencies as a basis for grants and the like, and there are some companies that use them as guides for helping determine where to locate retail outlets. Fortunately for us here in Morgantown, our reputation as an economic strongpoint is such that they seem to come here regardless of any government designations. Our construction folks are building things at above capacity, and have been for quite some time now.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,856,801 times
You may think the Census Bureau's data to be arbitrary but that matters little when it is the standard on which all other population data is based, like it or not. I'm not arguing one way or the other. It is what it is.

Plus, you argue that it doesn't effect Morgantown's current economy but the major construction increase began there after it was designated as the main city of a small MSA in 2000. So yes, the economy there has benefitted from that arbitrary government designation. That designation is what makes things suddenly appear on a map to developers and businesses.

Huntington is the main city of a large MSA based on population numbers and interaction for work for surrounding counties. Retail is part of that but you must consider that we have a city almost the size of Morgantown 20 min away in our MSA with its own mall and retail.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,298,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
You may think the Census Bureau's data to be arbitrary but that matters little when it is the standard on which all other population data is based, like it or not. I'm not arguing one way or the other. It is what it is.

Plus, you argue that it doesn't effect Morgantown's current economy but the major construction increase began there after it was designated as the main city of a small MSA in 2000. So yes, the economy there has benefitted from that arbitrary government designation. That designation is what makes things suddenly appear on a map to developers and businesses.

Huntington is the main city of a large MSA based on population numbers and interaction for work for surrounding counties. Retail is part of that but you must consider that we have a city almost the size of Morgantown 20 min away in our MSA with its own mall and retail.
Ashland does have a decent mall area. I especially like Cheddars.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 PM

941 posts, read 1,050,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Ashland does have a decent mall area. I especially like Cheddars.
Chedders is great and Ashalnd actually has two malls although I here the KYOVA mall has some vacancies. Never been there though, so I'm not 100% sure about that last part.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,856,801 times
The KYOVA Mall is pretty much a dead mall that they are trying to reinvent. They've had some success but it seems to be pretty slow.

DeadMalls.com: Kyova Mall: Ashland, Kentucky

Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM

941 posts, read 1,050,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The KYOVA Mall is pretty much a dead mall that they are trying to reinvent. They've had some success but it seems to be pretty slow.

DeadMalls.com: Kyova Mall: Ashland, Kentucky
That sucks for them. Hopefully that turns around soon. They just need to get some more people there. Easier said then done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington