U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,271,047 times

Advertisements

The KYOVA Mall, originally called Cedar Knoll Galleria, has always had a lot of vanancies, even back when it first opened back in the late 80's.

I belive when it first opened it could already be labeled a dead mall. Even to this day, the mall only has around 5 national chain stores. I haven't been in that mall since the early 90's. There is no reason for me to go to that mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM

9,418 posts, read 11,526,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
You may think the Census Bureau's data to be arbitrary but that matters little when it is the standard on which all other population data is based, like it or not. I'm not arguing one way or the other. It is what it is.

Plus, you argue that it doesn't effect Morgantown's current economy but the major construction increase began there after it was designated as the main city of a small MSA in 2000. So yes, the economy there has benefitted from that arbitrary government designation. That designation is what makes things suddenly appear on a map to developers and businesses.

Huntington is the main city of a large MSA based on population numbers and interaction for work for surrounding counties. Retail is part of that but you must consider that we have a city almost the size of Morgantown 20 min away in our MSA with its own mall and retail.
Tim, that isn't my point. My point is, benefit or not, the system is arbitrary. You say it makes a difference. It does, for government grants and the like. It might also make a difference to some corporations who don't take the time to do their homework, and who choose to locate facilities based on these flawed designations. We have a city 20 times the size of any town in West Virginia located just over an hour's drive from here. That has at least as much effect on us as Ironton or Ashland (which in no way has a population similar to ours if you consider our students) has on Huntington. Their flawed analysis fails to take that into consideration. They used criteria outside of the norm to move Putnam to Huntington from Kanawha. I'm not saying that is right or wrong. I'm just saying that is but an additional example of the capricious nature of their system.

In this case, Huntington benefitted from their designations. Next time out it might be victimized by them.
When we look at things like this, we also have to consider underlying motives and outside influences. A perfect example is here in North Central. Clarksburg, (for what is in my opinion an irrational reason) seeks to maintain their autonomy in any designations. So far, they have done that. That does not mean that is correct. Their concern is that will make them secondary to us in any evaluations. I don't think that is true, but that is how they see it there. Much of Fayette County, PA actually belongs with us as does at least half of Greene County. Never happen due to the arbitrary nature of their use of county lines rather than actual conditions.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 AM

CT, yes the system can be seen as arbitrary. But as bailey pointed out, it doesn't matter if you or anyone else think the census data criteria is arbitrary because it's the way population data is collected and analyzed.

If you are so against the current system, develop some new criteria and formulas and present them to our elected officials in D.C. and push for a change.

Also, as Bailey pointed out, Morgantown has benefited from these arbitrary decisions.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 PM

9,418 posts, read 11,526,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
CT, yes the system can be seen as arbitrary. But as bailey pointed out, it doesn't matter if you or anyone else think the census data criteria is arbitrary because it's the way population data is collected and analyzed.

If you are so against the current system, develop some new criteria and formulas and present them to our elected officials in D.C. and push for a change.

Also, as Bailey pointed out, Morgantown has benefited from these arbitrary decisions.
Again, it doesn't matter whether or not we have benefitted from it. That does not make it any more credible. They need one specific set of guidelines that they have to follow, and they need to scrap the arbitrary county line system.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:34 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,130,956 times
Morgantown has not been affected by the census anymore than it has at the announcement that pizza is now a vegetable.

Morgantown has benefited from real job growth and not manipulation of statistics. This census nonsense will not effect Huntington, good or bad either.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 04-04-2013 at 01:09 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 12:40 PM

Sorry but you are wrong.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Sorry but you are wrong.

That is the typical response when you present facts to people in this sub forum that they don't like. Ignore it and repeat a refuted idea despite the fact that there is no data to support it and there is much data against it.

Even Tim admits the census is made up now. You are big on proof so I look forward to your proof that Morgantoen benefits from made up BS. Until then YOU are wrong.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:48 PM

I fail to see where you provided any proof to support your "facts'" Just stating that 'Morgantown has benefited from real job growth and not manipulation of statistics' is not stating a fact.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I fail to see where you provided any proof to support your "facts'" Just stating that 'Morgantown has benefited from real job growth and not manipulation of statistics' is not stating a fact.
I didn't provide proof the census was made up Tim did. If you want proof of Morgabtown's growth go the Morgantowb forum. On the first page there are several topics about the growth and none of them talk about the census. Do you really need me to link you to them?

You wany me to disprove a negative. It doesnt work like that. You need to prove a negative. It is like saying big foot exist and it os up to me to disprove he exist. The proof is there is no proof of its existrnce. So i cant disprove something that doesnt exist, "your claim that Morgantown benefits from the census," just like i cant disprove you were abuducted by aliens.

Your attempts at a fallacy only prove my point you dont have proof. Like i said you are wrong until you prove it.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 PM

This is the Huntington forum, I shouldn't have to go to the Morgantown forum to find YOUR proof for you. If your proof is easy to access, then post it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington