U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,096,494 times
Reputation: 1758

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Laws are "made up.". County lines are "made up." City limits are "made up." Nearly all data exists within a framework that is "made up" by limitations set forth through a committee of individuals. If that makes it unreliable then our entire society would collapse. Thankfully it doesn't make it unreliable, at least to those capable of critical thinking.

I've proven my assertions with links to back them up. All you've done is given us more of your own lies, rhetoric and "bovine feces." Do you have links to info other than your own opinion to refute the data and expectations from the economic reports authored by a reliable source, someone with a PhD in business and economics?

I've given proof, now it's up to you to refute it with facts and references to those facts. It's called point-counterpoint.

The editorial linked in the first page of this thread talks about how the new designation will likely benefit Huntington. That benefit is in the future though and I don't have a crystal ball to show you those benefits. That's why they call them projections or expectations.
Laws, county lines, etc don't change every year. If they did they would be meaningless like the census. You proved nothing. im not interested in your excuses on why you cant prove your claims. So far you have not shown how Morgantown has benefited from the census. You proved one thing and that was the census is made up. Your opinion aeticle is irrelevant. Show how the crnsus will help with data and not opinion.

Until then you have failed.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2013, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times
Reputation: 768
Really? Laws don't change every year? Then why do we have multiple legislative sessions on the state and national level to make new laws every year? I guess laws are "meaningless" according to you. You really keep hurting yourself by continuing to post.

I proved my claim. It is you who have failed to make a counterpoint with any real substance to it. You have nothing other than your extremely flawed and biased opinion. I feel sorry for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 1,255,098 times
Reputation: 389
I only see proof and evidence from bailey, nothing from havoc. Good going bailey.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times
Reputation: 768
Thanks, but isn't that typical?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 1,255,098 times
Reputation: 389
99.9% of the time. Havoc just has his agenda for promoting himself and just states things to get a rise out of everyone else here on the message boards.

I agree with you in that I feel sorry for Havoc too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,096,494 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Really? Laws don't changeunti every year? Then why do we have multiple legknow as little about law as you do about tive sessions on the state and national level to make new laws every year? I guess laws are "meaningless" according to you. You really keep hurting yourself by continuing to post.

I proved my claim. It is you who have failed to make a counterpoint with any real substance to it. You have nothing other than your extremely flawed and biased opinion. I feel sorry for you.
There is a consistent framework. Past laws become precedent they just don't change everything. It is called common law. In somewhere like North korea they make things up as they go around like with the census. you know as little about law as you do the census. as you post you just prove my point and you have yet to provide proof.

Like I said prove your claim or admit you are wrong. Until then my points stand.

Like I said the designation is made up and irrelevant. Come back with actual proof.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,096,494 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I only see proof and evidence from bailey, nothing from havoc. Good going bailey.
Unfortunetly you are biased and have nothing to offer. Your opinion is irrelevant. Tbailey has been proven wrong and could use some help so if you have a source that could help him share it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:48 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,096,494 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
99.9% of the time. Havoc just has his agenda for promoting himself and just states things to get a rise out of everyone else here on the message boards.

I agree with you in that I feel sorry for Havoc too.
My agenda is truth. I cannot accept lies. I realize this upsets your fantasy but I cannot abide the BS because you could mislead other people.

Don't feel sorry I enjoy a good debate, although I am not getting one so maybe you should feel sorry for me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,096,494 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
You may think the Census Bureau's data to be arbitrary but that matters little when it is the standard on which all other population data is based, like it or not. I'm not arguing one way or the other. It is what it is.


Plus, you argue that it doesn't effect Morgantown's current economy but the major construction increase began there after it was designated as the main city of a small MSA in 2000. So yes, the economy there has benefitted from that arbitrary government designation. That designation is what makes things suddenly appear on a map to developers and businesses.

Huntington is the main city of a large MSA based on population numbers and interaction for work for surrounding counties. Retail is part of that but you must consider that we have a city almost the size of Morgantown 20 min away in our MSA with its own mall and retail.

Honestly I donít care about MSA. I am glad you about it is made up. My point is that Morgantown is the most populated city in WV based off actual population. Through a technically half our population is not counted so we donít get an MSA. My argument that if you were to put a penny in both Huntington and Morgantown and expand it equally Morgantown would have more people actually residing in it at 100 feet, 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 miles, 100 miles, etc. If you want to agree to this we could finally end this argument. Huntington can have the biggest city limit size and MSA area as counted by the census bureau and Morgantown can have the biggest amount of people living in it but not defined as residents and ill agree to the census size.

Also, Morgantown has two cities almost the size of Ashland within ~20 miles of it.

Also the MSA designation does not benefit Morgantown. Using that logic Charleston and Huntington would be attracting business. It does nothing for us, if anything it makes us seem smaller than we actually are, and again using YOUR logic, that would hurt us because businesses would be missing 30k customers and hundreds of thousands of people in our MSA. I personally feel this is not the case. As the census is pretty useless and doesnít mean much outside of government purposes. Morgantown is doing well because it is a great place to live with a modern knowledge economy and hardworking and innovative people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM
 
9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I never said the census was made up. Please quit attributing quotes to me that I did not say. I do not appreciate it and ask you to stop.

I made the initial statement of MSA benefit so here's proof. It comes from the WVU report profiling the new designation and all of the good it will do for Morgantown.



http://www.be.wvu.edu/bber/pdfs/BBER-2003-06.pdf

Now go ahead and tell us they didn't really mean it though.
I'm going to chime in here and say even though we benefit from this, that does not mean the process isn't flawed. I believe it to be fundamentally flawed, and in some ways arbitrary. If your area happens to be one that is harmed by it (as was Charleston the last time out) it could also be viewed as being capricious.
Huntington and Morgantown benefitted. It is still a flawed process.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top