Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,133,966 times

Advertisements

Editorial: Expanded metropolitan area has potential benefits for Tri-State - The Herald Dispatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 PM

941 posts, read 1,349,428 times
I am very anxious too see what kind of business attention we receive. Maybe Beretta would consider the Huntington-area if they were to move to WV. That would be nice for the area from a business standpoint.

WV House Speaker Thompson urges Beretta to relocate to West Virg - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV

Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I am very anxious too see what kind of business attention we receive. Maybe Beretta would consider the Huntington-area if they were to move to WV. That would be nice for the area from a business standpoint.

WV House Speaker Thompson urges Beretta to relocate to West Virg - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV
What does the MSA have to do with a companies decision to relocate.

Were they going to say, "Now that these 30k have changed from x to y, while still being in the same place, has made us come here?"

Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
What does the MSA have to do with a companies decision to relocate.

Were they going to say, "Now that these 30k have changed from x to y, while still being in the same place, has made us come here?"
Above article:

Quote:
...bigger population number and economic ties within a larger region could help draw the attention of companies looking for places to do business. "There are people who look at (MSA information) and don't always tell us they're looking," Tom Bell, executive director of the Huntington Municipal Development Authority, told The Herald-Dispatch. "It draws their attention to the area because they see they'd have a much larger marketing area than just the city itself."

Old 03-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Above article:
Yes, but it is incorrect. Nothing changed just the way they do things on paper, and on this case it was a small change on paper.

If 30,000 actually moved there, or if this is due to some real change like economic growth, I would agree. However, this is already existing population that changed due to a frequent change in methodology and could easily be reversed, and they ofte are. In this case nothing happened to Huntington, so I am not sure how this will change anything for Huntington. The Business world doesnt care how MSA is counted.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, but it is incorrect. Nothing changed just the way they do things on paper, and on this case it was a small change on paper.

If 30,000 actually moved there, or if this is due to some real change like economic growth, I would agree. However, this is already existing population that changed due to a frequent change in methodology and could easily be reversed, and they ofte are. In this case nothing happened to Huntington, so I am not sure how this will change anything for Huntington. The Business world doesnt care how MSA is counted.
That is just wrong. There are plenty of companies that need and desire a specific population to do well as they see it. If two cities have similar population, they will revert to MSA to compare. If a company is looking to expand to WV, they will look at the data provided on paper whether it is a bad representation or not (this data may not include MSA but most certainly can include it).

Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
That is just wrong. There are plenty of companies that need and desire a specific population to do well as they see it. If two cities have similar population, they will revert to MSA to compare. If a company is looking to expand to WV, they will look at the data provided on paper whether it is a bad representation or not (this data may not include MSA but most certainly can include it).
Again no.

There was no population change. It was already existing and they just changed some arbitrary boundary mostly used for government funding and districting.

You obviously have no clue how companies look at areas. MSA is rather irrelevant.

It is like the South Park episode about Dick Size. When it started Randy, who had a small one, was teaching kids a methodology that made his seem average, but the government came and said that it was measured a certain making it small by their standards. This led to people with small ones to try and overthrow the government. In the end the government just changed the way they judged small and big so almost everyone had a big one. In reality nothing changed. It was just something that made them feel bigger about themselves.

You can watch it here. It is actually similar to the Huntington MSA situation.

They could change the methodology to include the whole country as part of Huntington's MSA. It would not change anything despite Huntington having hundreds of millions of people on paper. All that happened is some bureaucrat in DC changed the criteria, which they do every 3 years to manipulate the results, that resulted in a small area of 30,000 going to Huntington MSA from Charleston MSA. The actual economic impact etc does not change. THere was no actual growth. The area is stagnant at best. I know you are patting each other on the back down in Huntington, and I guess for an area where almost all news has been bad news for decades it is something for you. To everyone else we are rolling our eyes.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
They could change the methodology to include the whole country as part of Huntington's MSA. It would not change anything despite Huntington having hundreds of millions of people on paper. All that happened is some bureaucrat in DC changed the criteria, which they do every 3 years to manipulate the results, that resulted in a small area of 30,000 going to Huntington MSA from Charleston MSA. The actual economic impact etc does not change. THere was no actual growth. The area is stagnant at best. I know you are patting each other on the back down in Huntington, and I guess for an area where almost all news has been bad news for decades it is something for you. To everyone else we are rolling our eyes.
No change occurred, yes. But companies won't see that. They will see the numbers.

What is wrong with people being optimistic and wanting positive change? Why would you constantly put us down? Can't you be happy or even supportive of others outside of NCWV? I mean people are supportive of Morgantown. At least down here they are. Even in Huntington, I constantly here about how people love Morgantown and WVU. Everyone wants to see NCWV do well. We want to see any area in the state do well. Of course, I would prefer see growth in Huntington, but I would also rather see it in Morgantown versus Pennsylvania, or any other state.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 PM

708 posts, read 1,153,183 times
Quote:
Again no.

There was no population change. It was already existing and they just changed some arbitrary boundary mostly used for government funding and districting.

You obviously have no clue how companies look at areas. MSA is rather irrelevant.

It is like the South Park episode about Dick Size. When it started Randy, who had a small one, was teaching kids a methodology that made his seem average, but the government came and said that it was measured a certain making it small by their standards. This led to people with small ones to try and overthrow the government. In the end the government just changed the way they judged small and big so almost everyone had a big one. In reality nothing changed. It was just something that made them feel bigger about themselves.

You can watch it here. It is actually similar to the Huntington MSA situation.

I know you didnt break out the T.M.I formula argument and compare it to the MSA formula. Usuallly you may babble nonsense regionalism, but Ill actually give you points for this sublimnal pop culture reference.

Here are the 2 T.M.I formulas below.

According to the U.S. Surgeon General, the correct equation for T.M.I. is "Length times Girth over Angle of the Shaft (aka YAW) divided by mass over WIDTH."

However, there are a few followers of the Marsh Method who still belief the Surgeon General's formula is flawed. To calculate, you'll need a tape measure, a protractor, and of course, a penis. Here is Randy's formula: "Length times Diameter plus Weight over Girth divided by Angle of the Tip squared."

Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
No change occurred, yes. But companies won't see that. They will see the numbers.

What is wrong with people being optimistic and wanting positive change? Why would you constantly put us down? Can't you be happy or even supportive of others outside of NCWV? I mean people are supportive of Morgantown. At least down here they are. Even in Huntington, I constantly here about how people love Morgantown and WVU. Everyone wants to see NCWV do well. We want to see any area in the state do well. Of course, I would prefer see growth in Huntington, but I would also rather see it in Morgantown versus Pennsylvania, or any other state.
Any company worth having would do their own research and understand the market. They are not just going to look at Huntington, but the Huntington-Charleston CSA. So NOTHING changed. They would have seen this area in the CSA. Like I said they dont care about the census. It is for districting, political, and funding purposes. For everything else it is irrelevant.

Im not putting Huntington down. Im merely pointing out the truth. This MSA is not a change. You are supposed to be a big math guy. Do you not see how this is all just inane?

I admit there is a negative attitude on this forum, but this is due to posters from CHarleston and Huntington hating NCWV. I actually registered to this forum due to a few Huntington and Charleston posters calling it Morganhole, etc. In my experience they dont care for Northern WV. Perhaps they dont mind it as long as it gets nothing, but as soon as Morgantown ask for infrastructure to meets its high growth people in your area act like Morgantown is taking from them and go crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington