U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:58 PM

4,154 posts, read 6,876,390 times

Advertisements

I think last I heard they were saying about 3 years. It's going to be done in phases due to cost. Lets hope it doesn't get delayed since anything government related is always a lot slower than it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 10:24 PM

941 posts, read 1,054,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I think last I heard they were saying about 3 years. It's going to be done in phases due to cost. Lets hope it doesn't get delayed since anything government related is always a lot slower than it should be.
3 government years...okay I guess that means 5-7 private sector years. Lol. They could at least start working on the open lots. As long as it gets done I suppose.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:00 AM

Theyhad a new article about this in the H-D this morning. It said things are actually moving along well and there are two national grocery stores currently very interested in the Northcott property. They are even doing a feasibility study as they would have to purchase the 4 acres where Northcott is along with 4 additional acres of land for the store. There are supposedly four other grocery companies interested too. It also said that the plans for new housing are moving along well and the necessary rezoning is nearly complete for the project.

Three years might actually be doable with this.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:52 PM

Well that is something good. That neighborhood has been missing a grocery store since they tore down the Big Bear. I heard recently, by word of mouth, that Cabell-Huntington Hospital was looking to by the row of housing between their facility and that bank. I had also heard that they are planning to build a children's hospital expansion. Now whether those two plans are related in some way, I don't know. I say all of this because it is great to see Hal Greer being built up and really revitalized.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 PM

Oh forgive me. I just found out that the Children's hospital is the project being worked on in front of CHH. I sometimes get things mixed up as I don't live in Huntington anymore.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,267,749 times
Any idea on who the grocery store chains are currently interested? I think it's obvious Kroger would be one but it would be nice to see some of the other larger grocery store chains move into the market for competition.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 PM

No specifics were discussed but they said that some big-box stores were doing feasibility studies into the properties. Big-box stores can be anything from a Wal-Mart to a Costco or possibly smaller.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Any idea on who the grocery store chains are currently interested? I think it's obvious Kroger would be one but it would be nice to see some of the other larger grocery store chains move into the market for competition.
For the two most interested chains, it seemed they were two related chains as they had one developer representing both of them. I doubt this would be Kroger. No names were given for any of the interested parties due to the nature of the time frames involved I would imagine. Hopefully this will move along quickly though and it puts further development of the Hal Greer corridor.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,267,749 times
Perhaps another supermarket chain is looking to expand into WV. Maybe Meijer? Or A&P?

Giant Eagle (Pennsylvania based) and Food Lion (North Carolina based) already have stores in other parts of WV. Maybe they would be looking to enter the Huntington market? I have been to both of those stores and they are nice.

I don't want to see another Aldi, Save-a-lot or a Foodland in the market.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I don't want to see another Aldi, Save-a-lot or a Foodland in the market.
Agreed, and I'll even add Kroger to the list. I'd rather see a new chain in that location causing Kroger to step up their game in Huntington.

Here's an editorial on this whole thing:

Thumbs up: Fairfield projects are moving ahead - The Herald Dispatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or