U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:31 PM

941 posts, read 1,050,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post
I feel like this demolition is moving so slow. It will be great to finally get those things torn down and hopefully move towards turning that into a nice retail district, but at this rate it's going to take some time, unfortunately. I have a related question though...there are houses across the street between the Byrd Clinical Center/MU Forensic Annex and the Cabell Outpatient Surgery Center that are boarded up as well. Does anyone know if there is plans for these to be demolished? And if so, what is the plan for that entire block of property??
I don't know but that is a good question. They need to consider what kind of "district" that they want to make there as well. I know that they want a grocery store of some kind, but across the street could harbor much more. This could be a another mixed-use project. There are potentially a lot of young doctors and medical students that might like to take up residence next to the hospital, a dry cleaner, a new grocery store, and potentially some new retail. If a parking garage for the residents would also be available, then it would cut down on overcrowded parking in the area. For example, those who might work in the hospital would likely just walk to work and keep their vehicle in the residential parking garage.

Something like that would also push up the value of the surrounding property. Also, something new on that block would be much nicer to look at than a vacant lot and some boarded up housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 04:58 PM

4,152 posts, read 6,853,510 times
Quote:
I feel like this demolition is moving so slow. It will be great to finally get those things torn down and hopefully move towards turning that into a nice retail district, but at this rate it's going to take some time, unfortunately. I have a related question though...there are houses across the street between the Byrd Clinical Center/MU Forensic Annex and the Cabell Outpatient Surgery Center that are boarded up as well. Does anyone know if there is plans for these to be demolished? And if so, what is the plan for that entire block of property??
It's moving slowly because the government is involved. Not only did they have to wait for permission to tear them down, they had to wait for funding for replacement housing as well. Very little happens quickly with the government.

The houses on 15th street that are boarded up appear to have been purchased by Marshall/Cabell Huntington. If you look at Marshall's comprehensive plan map, they have that area marked as future collaboration with Cabell Huntington. Not sure on the time frame of tear down though. Hopefully it'll be soon.

What I'd like to see done in that area is a developer purchase the baseball fields there to build nice apartments/condos. The parks district could then purchase some of the more dilapidated housing north of Charleston Ave around the AD Lewis Center to build new baseball fields and maybe even some soccer fields. With the football field and track already there, they could make a nice sports complex. Then in one swift move you'd get dilapidated structures torn down, new sports fields with increased focus on activity and new housing in a great location. Certainly a win-win situation.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:08 AM

Building a better future | The Herald-Dispatch

Quote:
HUNTINGTON -- Work crews will be moving in equipment and preparing three buildings in a Huntington housing development to come down.

By Monday, demolition should be underway on the Northcott Court Housing Complex, according to Huntington WV Housing Authority Executive Director Vickie Lester.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 PM

512 posts, read 385,729 times
Does anyone have any idea when the next phase of demolition of Northcott Court is slated to begin? I would assume they will be demolishing another 2 or 3 portions of the complex, as this this demolition is scheduled to take place over a period of years (unfortunately). I just had not heard anything regarding the next phase of demolition.

There are so many exciting things going on in the city now with the extensive development plans for Harris Riverfront Park, the recently announced ACF properties redevelopment, lots going on downtown, and the Northcott court redevelopment plans. Would be great if we could really get Kinetic Park growing to its full potential. Very exciting times ahead!

Old 03-11-2015, 08:22 AM

941 posts, read 1,050,313 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any idea when the next phase of demolition of Northcott Court is slated to begin? I would assume they will be demolishing another 2 or 3 portions of the complex, as this this demolition is scheduled to take place over a period of years (unfortunately). I just had not heard anything regarding the next phase of demolition.

There are so many exciting things going on in the city now with the extensive development plans for Harris Riverfront Park, the recently announced ACF properties redevelopment, lots going on downtown, and the Northcott court redevelopment plans. Would be great if we could really get Kinetic Park growing to its full potential. Very exciting times ahead!
Though I can't post a link to it, I know that it will be very soon. Sometime this year.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:49 PM

I haven't heard anything specific on this but it appears that people are moving out of the middle buildings. I've been seeing people loading things up, bed frames sitting out with the trash etc. Hopefully that means the second round of demolition is about to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or