U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 02:22 PM

941 posts, read 1,054,923 times

Advertisements

I hate to be skeptical but I like to be objective if possible. A lot of of what the Mayor is talking about, Charleston already has. For example, the ballpark, though a great thing, doesn't seem to make much of a difference in Charleston (and Marshall plays there too). Charleston also has convention facilities and that doesn't seem to have a great affect either.

Also, he mentions bringing certain events to Huntington. Though not all of those fall into this category, he mentions bring state championships to Huntington, which is great. I would love for Hunington to host such events but I don't want to be over biased and selfish, so would this not take away from Charleston? Those events pump a lot of money into Charleston. I don't know the affect that the moving of those events would have on the city but wouldn't it be bad?

One last thing: I would imagine that the WV Power would not like a Huntington minor league team encroaching their territory. The addition of a minor league team would certainly take away patrons from the WV Power.

Maybe there are some details that I am just not aware of. If anyone can clarify this then please do. I will appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,269,596 times
I believe the WV Power will hold veto power over any affiliated minor league baseball team in Huntington because Huntington falls under the Power's territory. However, I think the argument could be made that the total number of WV Power patrons from Huntington is low and wouldn't have that big of an impact on the WV Power.

I think that in Charleston many of the facilities have starting upgrading their conference/convention spaces and it could simple be a situation of having to keep up. I know that the City of Charleston and Mayor Danny Jones are pushing for upgrades and renovations to the city owned facilities, like the Charleston Civic Center.

As for the high school state championships, those are on contract to whichever city and their sports marketing division so to speak and the contracts are usually awarded for multiple years at a time.

In regards to a new baseball stadium for MU and Huntington, its my understanding that the ACF parking lot property is owned by Carl Icahn through his company, Icahn Enterprises. Carl is only worth several billions of dollars and one would think that he could donate the land as a gift to the city and MU but I guess Carl's philanthropy spirit only goes so far. Also, I'm not sure that Huntington needs another hotel at the moment.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 PM

4,158 posts, read 6,879,646 times
Charleston and Huntington are separate markets that do pull from an overlap in Teays Valley but there are enough people on the outer edges that each could fulfill a separate niche for minor league baseball. Each did for years with little difficulty.

With regards to state championships and conferences, that is a competitive process that whichever city puts the best package together when the contract is up, wins. Nothing is ever a given with any such event. Wheeling often bids on all of the state tournaments as each one is a nice little boost to the local economy. I think if Huntington becomes more attractive in this regard, it only helps us.

Even outside of state championships, the Huntington Hounds could have a nice tournament at the field each year as could the local American Legion team (both summer baseball) or even the high school teams. The civic arena here could even work with the Huntington Prep Express to bring a nice prep tournament here and to even play some of their games there if they would focus more on using the basketball court they purchased from the old field house which used to be Marshall's. In fact, St. Joes just moved their tournament to the civic arena this past year. If they would be creative like this, it would only be good for the city.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 PM

All is fair I suppose. I'm excited to see all of this happen and I am excited to see the changes when I come back. Even coming back 5 years from now will be exciting. Aside from the baseball stadium, the research park idea seems like a great step in the right direction as long as we can attract the right tenants.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 AM

Bailey I agree about your comments regarding Charleston and Huntington being separate markets in regards to minor league baseball. However, given the current ownership of the WV Power, which is different from when Charleston and Huntington had their own teams years ago, I don't see them giving permission to another affiliated minor league baseball team setting up in Huntington. They wouldn't want the competition.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:09 PM

I've heard this before but I've heard a few ways around it. I've heard that they may bring a lower level team to Huntington which would be allowed by the folks in Charleston. I've also heard thoughts of moving the Power to Huntington and then bringing a higher level team to Charleston. Supposedly the guy that owns the Power is from Huntington.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,309,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Bailey I agree about your comments regarding Charleston and Huntington being separate markets in regards to minor league baseball. However, given the current ownership of the WV Power, which is different from when Charleston and Huntington had their own teams years ago, I don't see them giving permission to another affiliated minor league baseball team setting up in Huntington. They wouldn't want the competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I've heard this before but I've heard a few ways around it. I've heard that they may bring a lower level team to Huntington which would be allowed by the folks in Charleston. I've also heard thoughts of moving the Power to Huntington and then bringing a higher level team to Charleston. Supposedly the guy that owns the Power is from Huntington.

Now this, my friend, would be awesome!!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I prefer the latter but I must say that my hope was to see a baseball rivalry between Huntington-Charleston. Those stadiums in those games (in either city) would be packed.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM

I know for a while that a few of the minority owners in the WV Power are prominent Huntington area businessmen but I don't remember their percentage of ownership in the team or if they are still involved at all.

I have heard the rumor of bringing another team to Charleston, a team playing on the High A or AA level of minor league baseball. The current MLB parent club to Charleston is Pittsburgh and their current AA team is in Altoona PA (Eastern League) and their High A team is in Bradenton FL (Florida State League). While Pittsburgh may not remain the MLB affiliate of the WV Power once their current contract expires I haven't heard any recent rumors about any High A or AA level teams relocating.

There are rumors that the AA team in Erie PA is moving to Ottawa Canada, starting for the 2014 season. Charleston to Ottawa Canada wouldn't be good for the travel expenses. IF the WV Power moved up to AA and the Eastern League, the closest teams would be in Akron Ohio and Richmond VA with the other teams in the DC area, central to eastern PA and the rest of the teams in the Northeast.

The WV Power moving to the High A Carolina League could possibly work because the Northern Division teams in that league are in Wilmington DE, Salem VA (outside Roanoke), Lynchburg VA and Frederick MD. The Lynchburg Hillcats (VA) were rumored to be moving to Wilmington NC but the citizens of that city voted down a new ballpark last fall. I am not sure if the team is still on the market or not. They are currently an affiliate of the Atlanta Braves.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Interesting. Either way, I hope it will happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington