U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 PM

941 posts, read 1,050,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
This says that the first phase of construction on the skatepark has begun. I haven't seen anything about this in the media. Since I am not living in Huntington, I can not go and see it for myself. Has construction actually begun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:03 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,856,801 times
I haven't been down there to check. Next time I'm down that way, I'll look and see.

I definitely like much of what I've read so far. It'll be interesting to see if they increase city limits like the map proposes at the end. That increase alone would probably make us the largest city in the state. If they can then properly develop it with new housing, we could reach 55,000-60,000 pretty quickly.

It's so nice to see some forward thinking. Now the key is implementation. This plan can't just sit on a shelf. Mayor Williams getting three terms might just help to make it all happen.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:05 PM

I must say that I am disappointed with their assessment of the Guyandotte/Altizer neighborhood compared to the others. Everything seemed so optimistic in this Plan except with the exception of that neighborhood. They basically just said. "fill in the empty space and vacant properties." I will say that they mentioned some other improvements, like streetscape improvements, but there could have been more thought put into it. For example, for two neighborhoods to be so close together, Guyandotte and Altizer, they only have one connection, Riverside Drive. Though it is a hilly area, the space inbetween the two behind the alloys plant should really be developed. If they could get someone to build some quality housing there, that might spur some more commercial development, like the grocery store that they mentioned.

I bet that Mr. Simmons (the neighborhood's council member) wasn't too happy with such a bland assessment.

Maybe I am too critical, but the City of Huntington must push itself to see much needed progress.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 PM

I agree. Guyandotte could be something special with all of the history there and the right revitalization efforts. The amount of money required to do it right would be crazy though. Guyandotte needs a Dr. Touma type investor to step up and revitalize things.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I agree. Guyandotte could be something special with all of the history there and the right revitalization efforts. The amount of money required to do it right would be crazy though. Guyandotte needs a Dr. Touma type investor to step up and revitalize things.
You know, I think that a good start would be to create a decent public park space (Altizer park doesn't count because for all intensive purposes, Altizer and Guyandotte are separate neighborhoods). A small version of Ritter Park would be so nice in the center of the neighborhood or close somewhere on Bridge St close to the Main St. commercial node. It would the neighborhood a recreational outlet as well as a place hold events.

This is where Guyandotte is really lacking, in my opinion.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 PM

I went to a Chat and Chew the other night discussing Plan 2025 and they said that 75% of Huntington is within 1/4 mile of a park. The goal is to make it 100% and from the map, Guyandotte looked like one of the focus areas.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:23 PM

Comprehensive Plan, Skatepark Approved by Huntington Council | Huntington News

Quote:
Earlier in the council meeting, Mayor Steve Williams emphasized that Huntington is a "planned city. It's time we get back to that. We are planning for growth beyond the city's borders" both geographically and population. He stressed, "We want to become the fastest growing city our size in the nation" and to do that "we have to start acting like the exceptional to which we aspire."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington