U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:17 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,852,052 times

Advertisements

I hope this vision becomes reality. It sounds like River Place might still be alive!

Quote:
“Once again, I think a baseball stadium is critical, but there’s one thing that’s certain,” the mayor said. “This is not something that we can expect Marshall University to build. I think this has to be a public/private partnership -- private enterprise, Marshall University and the city.

“I know where I’d like for it to be, but we’d have to acquire property for it to occur, the property between Third and Fifth avenues, the Flint Pigments and ACF (American Car Foundry) property, all of that. A baseball stadium could be configured there.

“Plus, we’re trying to develop on the other side of Third, to the river, have all of that torn down and have a research park built in there. We’ve been talking with our congressional representatives … the President has put together a plan for cities that have vacant industrial properties … the revitalization of that property is what we want. We’re putting plans together on that.”

Williams would like a ballpark that’s home to a minor league team as well as the Herd, and one that would be a potential home for a high school state tournament and other regional competition.
HERDZONE.COM - The Marshall University Thundering Herd Official Athletic Site - Athletics News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 PM

941 posts, read 1,049,836 times
Wow! Now this is exciting! I knew I liked this guy. I love his ambition. This is the kind of mayor we need.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,296,055 times
I like his ideas, and it sounds like there could be some funding down the road to assist with some of this redevelopment.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,794,658 times
You know, I was a fan of Mayor Wolfe, but I had no idea Williams would be this great. Huntington is going to make some major strides in the next few years.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 PM

He certainly has more progressive ideas and seems to have the perseverance to make it happen. Lets hope we see the results from that.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:06 PM

I like how he understands the valuable relationship between Huntington and Marshall. I wonder what his plans are outside of Marshall and sports?

Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM

The things I know of are attempting to redevelop Hal Greer Blvd., attempting to redevelop the West end via Central City and helping develop downtown further with high speed Internet. I hope he is successful in all of these ventures.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 AM

New thought...where on earth might they place this convention center that was spoken of? Those facilities typically go downtown, but it's not like there is much room. The ACF-lot/pigments-properties seems to be set aside for the ballpark and the ACF building across fifth is where they want the research park. I feel like almost an entire block needs to be set aside, which would infer the demolition of some functioning property(ies).

Old 05-31-2013, 03:15 PM

Not much new said but here is a Charleston Daily Mail article focussed specifically on the possibility of a baseball stadium:

Marshall baseball: Huntington mayor eyes stadium, minor league team* - Sports - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
New thought...where on earth might they place this convention center that was spoken of? Those facilities typically go downtown, but it's not like there is much room. The ACF-lot/pigments-properties seems to be set aside for the ballpark and the ACF building across fifth is where they want the research park. I feel like almost an entire block needs to be set aside, which would infer the demolition of some functioning property(ies).
Per the plans for River Place, the baseball field is to go where the ACF parking lot is and the hotel/convention center would be on the property just across 5th Ave from Flint Pigment. This would allow for a restaurant there with seating just beyond the outfield as home plate would be in the northeast corner of the parking lot. Supposedly, a deal is being worked out to allow a hotel on that property as a restriction had been placed on it at the request of another local hotel owner. The hotel was key though and this has been a big part of the hold up thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington